Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-12 05:59:12

paulo

CE3 to Backlight 2

Hello, We have been using CE3 obviously for a long time, and we just have to move on, as trying to remember the process how to make changes each time is too stressful for me. So, starting new with Backlight 2. Is there a way we can keep the old site up and running while at the same time getting the new site ready. Rather not host locally as too complicated for me. can I set up the new site for instance www.domain.com/testing and then when ready delete the old stuff from the C panel then just remove the /test. Sounds simple but suspect its not that straight forward ???? Any help or previous experience doing this most welcome.
Thanks
KR's Paul

#2 2018-09-12 06:31:11

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: CE3 to Backlight 2

You can either do your development work in a subdirectory or in a subdomain. Both ways work.

Rod has an article talking about migrating CE4 or earlier to Backlight. Please have a look at http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2018-09-12 07:20:18

paulo

Hi Daniel, thank you for your reply, I've looked at Rod's migration topic and to be honest it's too complicated for me. So I think I'll just upload all the galleries again fresh from lightroom publishing to Backlight 2. We have a decent 50Mbps upload speed so not bothered about that. Is either the  subdirectory or subdomain better for creating a test site ? Is it simple to just change it after to the main domain and delete out all the old files from the root ?
I'm sure this is all very basic stuff for you guys so sorry if these questions sound dumb

Last edited by paulo (2018-09-12 07:20:42)

#4 2018-09-12 07:34:44

Daniel Leu
Website

It makes a lot of sense to ask questions before you start! I like to work in subdomains since it is really separate to the main site. So I won't just mess up my main site by mistake... Both approaches work.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2018-09-12 08:25:06

Matthew
Administrator
Website

As Daniel says. After moving the site, you should just need to update the URL in Backlight's settings.

Personally, I also prefer not to publish galleries to a test site. Maybe one or two just to get the design right. Rather, I like to move the test site -- without galleries -- to the main location, then publish my galleries directly to the live location. This is easy to do if I have the galleries setup in Lightroom before hand; just have to press the Publish button on each.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2018-09-12 17:40:01

paulo

Thanks all for the advice. I’ll probably purchase backlight 2 etc this evening and get going.

Board footer