Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-16 18:00:18

topdetop

Random GPS coordinates on gallery export from Lightroom

Hi All,
Strange issue with my GPS coordinates. When I check on lightroom, All is fine on maps. However, upon export of the gallery using CE4 gallery plugin on the latest version of Lightroom classic, the gps coordinates are random on google maps... very strange.
I tried to reinstall everything but no success so far.
Any experiences?
Cheers
Marc

#2 2018-08-16 21:04:30

rod barbee
Website

Re: Random GPS coordinates on gallery export from Lightroom

Haven’t heard of this one before. I can’t see how the gallery export process would scramble the data in the gps metadata field.
Since this has never been reported (as far as I can remember) my guess is that it’s a Google map problem.

Is this a new problem or has it always happpened for you?
Might help if you post a link to a gallery.
If you refresh the gallery do the locations change?

If I get the time I’ll try firing up a CE4 galllery to see if I can replicate this.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-08-16 23:47:24

topdetop

Hi Rod,
First of all thanks for your time replying to my question.
I have a few screen grabs to explain in details the issue.

Photo 1 : correct GPS for photo 0214 in Lightroom
http://www.topdetop.com/2017/pages/2017 … photo1.png

Photo 2: incorrect GPS on code from the gallery after export with CE4
http://www.topdetop.com/2017/pages/2017 … photo2.png

Link 3: gallery where all coordinates are incorrect following export.
http://www.topdetop.com/2017/pages/2017 … /index.php

Very strange indeed.
No this problem was not happening with CE3 gallery, but following CE4 installation I started to have this issue. I have removed everything, lightroom, etc. clean reinstall but still the same problem...
No if I refresh the gallery the locations are still wrong on export.

Marc

#4 2018-08-17 01:29:06

rod barbee
Website

I've been able to replicate this with an exported and uploaded CE4 Gallery. I end up somewhere in the middle of the ocean or northern Africa....
CE4 hasn't changed in a couple of years (and this used to work fine as far as I remember. And I've never seen this issue brought up on the forum), but Lightroom has so I'm guessing it's a Lightroom Web Module issue. But I don't know.

However, GPS coordinates are working correctly with CE4 if using Publisher. I published the same set of images using Publisher in my old CE4 test site and everything works fine.
Do you have CE4 Publisher?

Since CE4 is no longer being updated, I suggest upgrading to Backlight if you don't have Publisher.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2018-08-17 03:05:57

topdetop

Rod,
I am glad you were able to reproduce my issue as I started to believe that I had a ghost in my system.
No I don't have publisher and I will be looking at the cost of Backlight.

Great support Rod,
Thanks
Marc

#6 2018-08-17 06:41:40

Matthew
Administrator
Website

That's a bizarre one, and I've not heard of it before. Thanks Rod for looking into this before I was able to. At this point, I have essentially zero trust in the Web module -- hence Backlight, our escape from the Web module and its ailments.

Backlight is a substantial upgrade on so many levels. And its publisher retains compatibility with the CE4 galleries, so you can also continue to use the CE4 plugin if you have reason to do so, either while migrating to Backlight, or if you have cause to manage things separately.

I have no intention of going back to muck about with the CE4 plugins, so I definitely recommend either using publisher with CE4, or upgrading entirely to Backlight.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2018-08-17 18:56:44

topdetop

Hi guys,
I have upgraded to backlight even if I purchased the CE4 2018 stuffs not so long ago (it is becoming expensive!).
Should you consider to mention the non compatibility with the latest version of Lightroom?
Thanks
Marc

Last edited by topdetop (2018-08-17 18:57:27)

#8 2018-08-18 08:11:00

Matthew
Administrator
Website

At this point, we no longer sell CE4 except by exception, in which case people need to initiate a conversation with me, where I steer them toward Backlight, and only provide them purchase links for CE4 if that's REALLY what they want, and accepting that we no longer support or develop it, and that we no longer trust the Web module, so understanding that it is a risky purchase.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#9 2019-09-04 18:00:28

Mick Seymour

I realise this thread is over a year old but thought I'd add my comments in case anyone else is encountering the same problem, as I've found a fix.

I'm using CE3 (I know it is no longer supported), recently started taking photographs with a phone with inbuilt GPS and discovered all GPS coordinates appear random when clicking the Google Maps link from exported galleries.

The problem is that a pattern matching string in the CE3 Web Gallery lib\lua\google-maps.lua (and also lib\lua\google-maps-mobile.lua) is not matching the degrees part of the GPS coordinate, returning the coordinate from the minutes digits instead. It appears that the pattern match is not treating the decimal point in the seconds part of the coordinate as a numerical value but as a non alpha-numeric value.

Changing:

local dms_pattern = "%d+%W+%d+%W+%d+%W+%u"

to:

local dms_pattern = "%d+%W+%d+%W+%d+%W+%d+%W+%u"

fixes the problem.

Assuming this used to work in previous versions of Lightroom, I'm guessing Adobe changed a lua library that breaks the pattern match.

I don't have CE4 but suspect the fix will work on that version as well.

Board footer