Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-27 21:56:14

gengl
Website

Backlight 2

Will the coming Backlight 2 require a new purchase of a cart module, or will the current cart work with the new program?

#2 2018-07-28 05:34:10

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Backlight 2

All add-ons will require a compatibility update to be used with Backlight 2. Some of these will be paid upgrades, and some will be free.

At this time, details are non-final and may be subject to change. But as it stands now, we expect Backlight, and it's Cart and Client Response add-ons to be paid upgrades.

Modules that will not require a paid upgrade at this time include Galleria, Theater and WordPress add-ons.

It will not be possible to mix-and-match. For example, you will not be able to use Backlight 2 and Cart 1.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2018-08-13 05:00:57

4thdesign

Matthew,

Is there going to be an option to keep your existing customers happy by providing discounts to those that have previously purchased Backlight 1 and associated add-ons?
It feels to me that I will have to pay a 2nd time for a newer version? Perhaps I am reading this all wrong, but it niggles a bit.

Also..... in Backlight 2 will there now be an ability to attach voucher codes to individual albums? This is one of my biggest "wants" and I am sure others feel the same way.
smile

#4 2018-08-13 06:19:14

Ben

Backlight 2 and plugins will come with discounts for existing customers. Bear in mind that this project has been going for 18 months with hundreds if not thousands of hours put into it and that what we charge so covers support and feature upgrades for the life of the product.

#5 2018-08-14 07:23:11

Matthew
Administrator
Website

4thdesign, if we didn't charge for major version upgrades, the only other option would be to go software-as-service and charge a monthly subscription fee, which we have managed to avoid to this point.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2018-08-14 11:05:31

johnblaustein
Website

If one compares the cost of Backlight to any other full-featured web design application, what Matt charges is a huge bargain.  And, if one weighs ease-of-use against that cost, it looks even better.  Adobe CC, Capture One, Microsoft Office, Quicken and others have gone to the subscription model, and the long-term cost there can be substantial.

Just my 2c....

John

Last edited by johnblaustein (2018-08-14 12:15:54)

#7 2018-08-16 04:54:17

pideja

Here here!

#8 2018-08-17 09:07:40

johnblaustein
Website

Ben wrote:

Backlight 2 and plugins will come with discounts for existing customers. Bear in mind that this project has been going for 18 months with hundreds if not thousands of hours put into it and that what we charge so covers support and feature upgrades for the life of the product.

Perhaps those of us existing customers who are thrilled to be using Backlight 1 and have taken major advantage of the "free" support should pay a premium for the upgrade to Backlight 2.  Matt and Ben can offer discounts to attract new customers.

*** No, I'm not really serious, but I am trying to be sensitive to the fact that The Turning Gate is a very small company--it's no Adobe--and that the prices are already very fair.  And if you've used this support forum, you know that help is usually only a few hours away.

John

Board footer