Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-27 12:13:32

DebbieCollins

How to upgrade from TTG CE2 Publisher to TTG CE4 Publisher

I have no idea what im doing (not tech savy), I can no longer upload images from LR to my website (keep getting an Error Code of 412) and feel that I need an upgrade??  I was not the person who set up my website and LR and now no longer have that IT support.  Im on my own stabbing in the dark!! Please help me!!!

#2 2018-07-27 13:45:22

rod barbee
Website

Re: How to upgrade from TTG CE2 Publisher to TTG CE4 Publisher

At one time, after Backlight was first introduced, Matt was providing CE4 Publisher to those upgrading from CE3 Publisher (as a pathway to converting CE4 galleries to Bscklight control). I don’t know if there ís an upgrade path from CE2 Publisher. (Plus, I think CE4 Publisher requires that you use the CE4 Gallery Plugin if you were planning on staying with CE products))

And since CE4 is no longer available to purchase, your only option may be to update to Backlight.

But before you do that, send Matt an email using the form on the Support Page to see if he still has CE4 Publisher available (and if there’s a way to update from CE2).

But do consider Backlight. Most have found it much easier to use than the old Web Modules. You will probably need to start from scratch though.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-07-27 14:35:35

DebbieCollins

Thanks very much for your reply Rod!! I was thinking the same thing and have already looked it up smile When you say "I will probably need to start from scratch" what exactly do I need to re-do?  Do I need to create my website again or can I just use Backlight like I used TTG CE2?  Im assuming that I will need to upload my clients private viewing galleries again, which assuming its the same process then that is not a problem.  As for linking Backlight up with LR and my website host (cenzionstar) I have no idea how to do that lol!  I also noticed that one of the requirements for Backlight is PHP 5.2.6 or newer, im currently using PHP5.3 but can see from my dropdown menu that it goes to 7.2.  What all of that means is beyond me and what will happen if I click on 7.2 I have no idea!! See told ya "no idea" lol

#4 2018-07-27 22:32:22

rod barbee
Website

Hi Debbie,

Backlight is nothing like the CE2 Lightroom plugins. It's a web app that you upload to your server. All design, settings, client management, etc. are done on line through Backlight.
The only thing Backlight and CE2 have in common is that they both use Publisher to create your albums and album sets.

So when I say you'll need to start from scratch, I mean you'll need to create a new design and you'll most likely need to republish all your albums (I don't think there's an upgrade path from CE2 that will allow you to use your currently uploaded albums)

The Backlight documentation has all instructions for uploading Backlight, signing in and setting up, and connecting Lightroom to Backlight.

Backlight is compatible with up to php 7.2 so there should be no problem with updating your server to 7.2 (I don't know about compatibility with CE2 though).
Take a look at the Documents page. Right at the top, under First Steps is a video that outlines installation and using Backlight.

This post might also be of help. It outlines some strategies for updating to Backlight if you don't have CE4 Publisher: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/

If, by chance, Matt can set you up with CE4 Publisher and there's a way to migrate CE2 Publisher controlled albums to CE4 Publisher control, then see this post: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2018-07-28 05:13:01

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I don't mind supplying CE4 Publisher for that purpose, but I personally would just begin from scratch. Maybe a good opportunity to discard expired albums if you have them.

Backlight is definitely recommended, though. More than half of Internet traffic nowadays is via mobile, and CE2 is not mobile optimized, nor even responsive for a good mobile experience. Which is to say, CE2 is severely outdated.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2018-08-01 19:44:56

DebbieCollins

Thanks guys! I have one last question! Do I have to purchase Backlight to be able to use the LR plugin Publisher? Or can I just buy the Backlight Publisher and carry on with my current website and be able to upload albums to my website?

#7 2018-08-01 23:45:45

Daniel Leu
Website

DebbieCollins wrote:

Thanks guys! I have one last question! Do I have to purchase Backlight to be able to use the LR plugin Publisher? Or can I just buy the Backlight Publisher and carry on with my current website and be able to upload albums to my website?

You'll need Backlight since the Lr Publisher plugin needs the matching server software.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#8 2018-08-02 00:49:02

rod barbee
Website

And I don't think CE4 Publisher will work with the CE2 either (Matt or Ben would have to confirm that). CE2 requires that the server site publisher/ folder reside in the top level of the site. CE4 requires it to be installed in the ttg-be/ folder.

And if I remember correctly, CE4 Publisher requires the use of templates that are created with CE4 Gallery (or CE4 Stage or CRG)

But back to your original problem. Have you tried any troubleshooting? Like re-uploading the publisher/ folder (making the necessary changes for the API key first).
Have you tried re-installing the CE2 Publisher plug-in?
Has you host made any changes lately?
Have you upgraded Lightroom recently?

The installation documentation is here: http://wiki.theturninggate.net/doku.php … _wordpress

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer