Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-10 00:28:09

Closescapes
Website

Populating galleries from lightroom

Hi all,
Finally bit the bullet, purchased Backlight + Pages and am trying to get galleries up and running.

My plan is to have some nested galleries and end up with something looking as good as or similar to Franz Zihlmann's site, which is found here:  http://franzzihlmannphoto.com/galleries/        (hope it's OK to add to link).

My galleries would be along the lines of --
Top level, UK, NZ, PT, ES for countries to start, with maybe some other categories in time.
Level 2, England, Scotland, Wales for UK. N. Island, S. Island, for NZ. etc..
Level 3, maybe counties for UK.

Some could have all levels, say Portugal, then Geres for the National Park, Estrella for the mountain area, for level 2, then I would split Geres into a few areas such as Calcedonia, Albergaria, Traditional Villages, etc., etc., for level 3.

Where I am having difficulty is understanding how galleries are populated with photos, I was hoping to populate the level 3 gallery using Smart Album in LR, and then add a few of those images to the next level as album set, then the same for top level. I've tried this and it works as far as level 3 goes, but doesn't populate upward to level 1 & 2.
I've spent hours trying things out and am about to quit until later.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to achieving what I am after? Surely I don't need to create collections for all levels I'm after... uploading individual files for each level seems one answer.

Help please, my head is spinning and I just can't think at present, time for a break.
Regards, Marshall  - site url here:     http://marshallblack.co.uk/galleries/

#2 2018-07-10 04:06:19

rod barbee
Website

Re: Populating galleries from lightroom

Are level 1 and 2 album sets? If so, you cannot publish images to album sets, only albums. Album sets contain albums and albums contain images.

To elaborate, your Galleries page is an album set. In it you can have albums, which contain images, and other album sets.

The other album sets can contain albums and other album sets.

But you cannot publish images to album sets themselves, Lightroom can't do that.

And you can't place albums (galleries) inside of other albums.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-07-10 19:41:41

Closescapes
Website

Hi Rod, thanks for the reply

yeah, level 1 and 2 are album sets, so I'm thinking of a workaround using a collage with a pano in the centre for the album images.

That was something I was already planning, so I'll go ahead with that, putting the collage images in a "custom images" album, and picking up the title collages from there.

I'm going to work on that now and see how it looks.

Cheers

Marshall

#4 2018-07-10 23:27:44

Closescapes
Website

I did the collage idea, adding a custom files album for the collage, unfortunately that album is now included in the Portugal sub-galleries.
I did mark the check box to exclude/hide from album set, but the custom files album is showing with a crossed out eye icon.

Is there another option I have missed by some chance?

I tried putting the album at a higher level but that didn't help.

Other than that I think the collage idea works quite nicely as the album title image, and I will be able to work from there. Just need to play with pages to make the thumbs a bit bigger.

ref is:  http://marshallblack.co.uk/galleries/

Cheers

#5 2018-07-10 23:36:46

rod barbee
Website

Closescapes wrote:

I did mark the check box to exclude/hide from album set, but the custom files album is showing with a crossed out eye icon.

Is there another option I have missed by some chance?

This is normal when you're also logged into Backlight. If you log out, or look in a different browser, the album will be hidden.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer