Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-20 20:13:32

pideja

exporting-importing and installing templates

For some reason, when I export a template I created in order to import it into another section of a site I am building, the imported Gallery template always has to be tweaked a lot before resembling the "original" page.

Witness the exported page: http://pideja.ca/luc/fr/oeuvres/ and the imported one: http://pideja.ca/luc/en/oeuvres/
The album thumbnails in no way look like the exported page. Why is this? I'm looking thru all the settings in a side-by-side comparison, even using the inspector to find changed settings, but it's very laborious. It even took me awhile just to establish the link to this page. Even the thumbnails are gigantic.

Last edited by pideja (2018-04-20 20:14:13)

#2 2018-04-20 21:13:43

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: exporting-importing and installing templates

The custom.css files seem to differ... Is there a reason why you are not using the same for the two sites?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2018-04-20 21:27:24

pideja

They should be the same. I will do a side-by-side comparison.

For some reason, the line 39 reads: ".pages-template-identifier-expos" on the French side but will only work if it's " .pages-template-id-15" on the English side...Using the Inspector, I realized that the English side should read "pages-template-identifier-exhibitions" which is the equivalent of the French side and of "template-id-15".

Other than that, they are the same.

Last edited by pideja (2018-04-20 21:49:56)

#4 2018-04-20 22:31:13

rod barbee
Website

the English page is using this css file: luc-en.css

the French page is using this css file: luc-fr-2.css

For some reason, the line 39 reads: ".pages-template-identifier-expos" on the French side but will only work if it's " .pages-template-id-15" on the English side...

The reason is because you put it there.
.pages-template-identifier-exhibitions means that the css will only be a applied to a page with the identifier of "exhibitions" (set in the Properties of a page--not page template). Neither of those pages have that, nor do they have a class of "pages-template-id-15".
In fact, neither of those were created in the Pages section of Backlight's Designer. They are both album sets and therefore that selector should have no effect on these two pages.

the english page you linked to is using a page template with template-id-13 template-identifier-prints. This means the page template has an id of 13 (set by Backlight) and an identifier of "prints" (set by you)/

The French page is using a page template with template-id-21 template-identifier-oeuvres.

Each page template is using a different css file.
I realize these are two different Backlight installations so you'll need to manually compare the two files. Either that, or upload the "correct" css file used on one site to the other site and set the page template to use that file.

This seems more a matter of organizing and managing the separate files for each site, it's not a Backlight issue.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2018-04-20 22:56:44

pideja

I realize it's not a Backlight issue and I'm sorry to have posted this issue. It is in fact, an organizational issue, as you stated. I found the page-template identifiers with the inspector, but I must have been mistaken as to the correct identifier.

The difficulty is naming all pages, identifiers and CSS files in order to recognize them and correctly apply them.

Seeing as this is a bilingual site, it's like having two identical (save for language text) site in parallel.

The "luc-fr-2.css" file is only on the Gallery page. But I had forgotten to create a "luc-en-2.css" file. It is now done.

I guess I should try to consolidate both CSS files into one on each side. Or better still, have but one CSS file for both sides.

Thanks again.

#6 2018-04-20 23:08:08

rod barbee
Website

you could create one css file for both sites and call it via phplugins (ttg_head) rather than duplicating it and uploading each file to each site's /backlight/custom/css/ folder.

That way you'd have only one file to manage and any change would affect both sites.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2018-04-21 00:27:34

pideja

I must admit being nervous about playing around with php. In fact, I have no idea how to do this. I think I can create a single CSS file by consolidating the two I already have active on each side. But inserting a link or the actual file in the ttg_head, I haven't a clue.

But, a little goes a long way and I'm sure that eventually, I'll figure everything out.

Last edited by pideja (2018-04-21 00:31:58)

#8 2018-04-21 00:33:13

rod barbee
Website

I thought you'd used custom css in your CE4 sites?
Here's the CE4 documentation for adding custom css. Use the ttg_head hook instead of ttg_head_end
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … custom_css

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2018-04-21 01:20:28

pideja

Yes, I did use CSS in my CE4 designs. Reading the text about custom CSS reminded me that at first reading, a couple of years ago, I did not understand a lot of it. I just learned by doing, by trial and error (mostly error)and a lot of help by you, Matt, Daniel and a few others.
Reading the text today, I can see how it can help me. I will certainly try this technique of having PHP "drive" a single CSS file for the entire site, if possible. I'm sure it is.
But, until then, I'll keep tweaking the present site mostly because it is almost completed. I'll do a "revision" probably during the summer.

Board footer