Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-05 03:40:54

reidthaler

Need help understanding Publishing in Backlight

I don't understand the process.  I have a CE3 site so will Backlight overwrite it?  Can I choose where the pages export or the path?

Need more info to understand.  I don't know what an API is. 

I'm starting to think that Backlight may be more of a challenge then it's worth and it make more sense to stay with CE3 since it took a while to figure that out

Thanks,

Reid

#2 2018-03-05 04:03:13

rod barbee
Website

Re: Need help understanding Publishing in Backlight

The Backlight Publisher plug-in will not overwrite the CE3 Publisher plug-in.

Need more info to understand.  I don't know what an API is.

Are you currently using Publisher in CE3? If so, you'll find information in the Full Install guide in the CE3 Documents
http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … _publisher

If your are currently using Publisher, then Backlight has a provision for updating CE4 Publisher controlled albums and album sets to Backlight. At one time, Matt was offering CE4 Publisher for free for those moving from CE3 to Backlight. The idea was to update CE3 controlled albums and sets to CE4 control, and then update from CE4 to Backlight control.
You'll need to contact Matt to see if that's still available.

When you install your Backlight site, you'll need to delete pretty much all of your CE3 site. (index.php, about.php, info.php, galleries.php, etc)

If you're not currently using Publisher, then you'll basically need to start over. You can keep your current Galleries folder with current galleries for now and then replace them with Backlight albums as time allows.
I've outlined that here: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/

Can I choose where the pages export or the path?

Backlight doesn't export pages and galleries like CE3 did. There is no more working in the Web Module and the only Backlight Lightroom plug-in is Publisher.

With that in mind, do you mean albums and album sets for stand-alone pages, like Home, or About?

Albums and album sets will be created in a folder you designate as the top-level galleries folder. That folder is usually named "galleries" but it doesn't have to be.

For stand alone pages (Home, Contact, About), there will be no path in the sense of a file sitting on the server. Those pages are created as needed via the database, much like WordPress does I imagine.

If you choose to go the Backlight route you can first develop the site in a sub-folder or sub-domain and then move it into your main domain.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer