Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-18 07:11:47

Chris Kewish

Setting up Backlight

I have purchased Backlight. Downloaded the files and uploaded them to my server via my FTP application Fetch. When I type in the web browser my web address followed by /backlight I just get a blank page.

What happens next?

I was following the step step guide and came short when it says "If installing Backlight + Pages, be sure to include the .htaccess file. It may be invisible in Mac's Finder or Windows Explorer, but you should be able to see it in your FTP client; make sure it's set to show invisible files."

I do not se this file on my Mac or in my FTP application so I really don't understand what they mean by FTP Client?

#2 2018-02-18 07:30:21

rod barbee
Website

Re: Setting up Backlight

FTP Client is the same thing as FTP app, program, etc

This might be a stupid question, but did you first unzip you downloaded file?

also, can you post a link to your site? Is Backlight installed in the root of the site?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-02-18 12:14:36

Chris Kewish

Link: http://www.kewphoto.com/backlight/admin/
Is Backlight installed in the root of the site? Do you mean in the file www?

#4 2018-02-18 14:45:31

rod barbee
Website

for most hosts, I believe it's the public_html/ folder. Yours may be the www/ folder

But that's not your problem. It looks like your site is running php version 4.3.9. Backlight requires  5.2.6 or newer but it's probably best to have a newer version like 5.6 or even 7.0

You can either update this yourself by logging into your host's C-Panel and look for php version. Or call your host and have them update your php version.
Some users have reported problems with the latest version (php 7.2 I believe). So don't go that far.

These are the hosting requirements (from the Backlight product page)

Hosting
    Linux OS
    Apache server
    PHP 5.2.6 or newer
    SQLite and PDO modules enabled

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2018-02-20 06:31:41

Chris Kewish

I updated my server details by having my site migrated to a server with the latest settings that you advised. My old links that were not working are now operating fine.

I still have the same problem trying to activate the new Backlight. I still do not see the .htaccess file or know where to find it! So I continue with the Install Backlight 1.c. When I try to open the link www.kewphoto.com/backlight in my Safari browser I get a blank page!

What do I do now?

#6 2018-02-20 08:40:44

rod barbee
Website

I just went to your login page and was able to access it: www.kewphoto.com/backlight/admin
try clearing your browser's cache.

Did you purchase the Pages add-on (or Backlight + Pages)? The index.php and .htaccess files are in the download folder alongside the backlight/ folder, the galleries/ folder, and the Publisher plug-in.

If you have purchased Pages and are not seeing the .htaccess file, you need to set your system to show hidden files (you can Google how to do this for your system).

You may be able to do the same with your FTP program. Consult its help file or Google it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer