Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-06 23:56:32

pideja

Triplicate gallery icons

I should know this, but I have a hard time figuring out why I have three icons for the same gallery on this page: http://pideja.ca/tnm/galleries/saison-2011-2012/

The only one that is authentic is the one with a color photograph on it. The other two appeared as I was fumbling around trying to set the thumbnail size and style. I still can't do that. I tried changing the settings in Backlight/Album Settings and CSS formatting without any change happening.

I'll eventually find how to format the thumbnails, but about the "extra" icons for the "dindon" gallery, it's still a mystery to me.

#2 2018-02-07 00:22:30

rod barbee
Website

Re: Triplicate gallery icons

For some reason, occasionally Publisher will create "duplicate" albums, one with the images and one without. The url of one of those will be appended with "1".

You can delete these extra albums in the Backlight interface by going to Publisher > Top-level galleries and clicking on the relevant top-level gallery (if you have more than one).
Click on Albums.
Click on the name of the album you want to delete.
Scroll down the page and click on Delete.

As to the css, there's a .... few.... problems with it. For one, there is no .thumbnail class in Backlight.
And you've got two pseudo selectors that are just dangling out there on their own. They really should be affecting another selector. like li:first-child, for example.

Also this:

:nth-child(2) {
font-weight: italic;
}

same problem with the pseudo selector. Also, italic is not a property of font-weight. It's a font-style
https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_font_font-style.asp

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-02-07 08:22:51

pideja

Rod wrote:

You can delete these extra albums in the Backlight interface by going to Publisher > Top-level galleries and clicking on the relevant top-level gallery (if you have more than one).
Click on Albums.
Click on the name of the album you want to delete.
Scroll down the page and click on Delete..

Well, I did just that: in Top-level galleries, I saw three "03 dindon" albums. One had no images and the other duplicates images. I deleted as instructed, the two extra albums. However, this completely zapped the album-set "saison 2011-2012" !!! Tried reloading from Publisher but I was looking for the missing album folders. Then I recreated the 4 albums that should have been in the "2011-2012" album set directly from my server. This, Publisher seemed to like, and it repopulated the folders. However, I still did not have the other files (lib.php, gallery.php, .thaccess and the thumbnail folder. Naïvely, I copied the missing files/folder from another album-set. You guess what happened...I had the images from that other gallery displayed on the site all the while having the correct image files in my album folders. What happened?

The saga continues...

P.S. I deleted that faulty CSS code.

Last edited by pideja (2018-02-07 08:23:19)

#4 2018-02-07 08:32:45

pideja

I now have recreated the album set and albums for "saison 2011-2012". I republished the images. Went well. But since there are no album set files (lib.php, gallery.php, .thaccess and the thumbnail folder) the page displays a 404 error.
How do I reinstall these files?

#5 2018-02-07 08:47:21

rod barbee
Website

I have no clue.  (I don't think album sets have a gallery.php file - it looks to me like they have index.php, lib.php, gallery.xml, .htaccess and a thumbnail/ folder)
At this point I would delete the albums in the album set (do that in Publisher) and then delete the albums set.
You might double check in Backlight to make sure that it's all gone. And check again with FTP.

Then create a new album set and repopulate it with albums.

(the same custom css as before is still there. It's really not doing anything though)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2018-02-08 01:51:36

pideja

Followed your advice: deleted album-sets and albums checked that nothing was left on the ftp server then re-created all. It worked, except that I now can't control the thumbnails in the album-sets. Whatever I choose they are wrong...Iconic gives a long tall icon, Classic and Descriptive yield squared icons, bunched together with a with a line as a bottom border. The only setting that looks ok is the MASONRY...at least it has borders and the size of the icons are manageable. But in all styles, the settings in Backlight are either limited or don't work. Even in MASONRY, I can't change the width and height and the borders also.

#7 2018-02-08 03:12:43

rod barbee
Website

Iconic is controlled with an aspect ratio and number of columns, Thumbnail coverage, and also the size of the thumbnails provided by the gallery (unless you're controlling that with custom thumbs).
You might have to play around with it to get what you want. And Iconic also works best with custom thumbnails.

Masonry has border controls.

If you're not seeing changes, always try clearing both template and browser cache.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2018-02-08 05:07:10

pideja

Changes made after clearing both caches show up, of course. Forgot about that. Album-set icons are ok when going to "Productions". There are three icons that look great. But when selecting a Production, the album icons are too tall and not wide enough. Can't find those controls. Anyway, I'll keep fiddling around, bound to find them.
Then, in the (show)  album icons, chose CLASSIC in Album settings/Thumbnail presentation/the cell. Here I get the correct formatting of the cells (and images) but no metadata even if I checked both boxes in METADATE DISPLAY. The filename should be there.

P.S. I know we've been thru this before but every time I create or edit a site, it's like I had to re-learn everything. Frustrating.

#9 2018-02-08 06:24:22

rod barbee
Website

the thumbnail images look fine.

remember, metadata display depends on the tokens you enter. Also, any changes you make require albums to be republished.

P.S. I know we've been thru this before but every time I create or edit a site, it's like I had to re-learn everything. Frustrating.

Take notes??

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2018-02-09 01:09:32

pideja

I guess I should. Also, re-read and edit all these help I've been given thru the years as a basis for a personal manual...

Many thanks, Rod

Board footer