Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-15 05:09:14

pideja

navigation

On this site pideja.ca/nat, the Home, En and Featured Work page showup. But, the Bio and Contact + CV pages do not.
In the menu set design, I indicated the path:
navigation

What did I miss something?

Last edited by pideja (2017-03-15 05:11:34)

#2 2017-03-15 05:33:38

rod barbee
Website

Re: navigation

As I mentioned in your other thread, this is likely because you've not created those pages under the /nat/en/ installation of Backlight.

If you do that, you can link to the page by choosing "Page" under the Link To drop-down.

You could also just use the existing pages under the nat/ installation though by removing the en/ from those urls.

This is the downside of managing multiple Backlight installations, you need to create duplicate content for each language-based site.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-03-15 06:22:50

pideja

I'm sorry Rod, but I don't understand.
I installed Backlight according to the instructions in the "Backlight Installation & Setup" tutorial.
In /nat/en designer section PAGES, the Home, Bio and Contact pages are present. But I can't see where to set the path other than in the MENU SETS section as previously indicated. The URL indicated in the browser address bar is pideja.ca/nat/en/about as it should.
What's even stranger, is that in the Bio and Contact pages, that indicate Paradox 404!, the link to "En" in the navigation links back to pideja.ca/nat/en which is the Home page for the English part of the site.

I'm sure I'm missing evident, here.

#4 2017-03-15 06:48:29

rod barbee
Website

in the /nat/en/ installation of Backlight, go to Designer > Pages
Click on About
Click on View page in Browser
That will establish that the page is there.

Go to Backlight > Settings > Website Settings : Page URL Format. What is the format? Have you tried accessing the about page using that format?

Did you upload the index.php and .htaccess files (From the unzipped Backlight-Pages-111 folder) to the /nat/en/ folder?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2018-01-21 03:13:39

pideja

I'm back with navigation issue. It's been awhile and I forgot how to correctly set up for a bilingual site. Also this a redesign of a CE4 site that addressed the same issue (see above). I am now using the latest Backlight-Pangolin pages.

So, I have a test site ( pideja.ca/luc ) that has only one page with two navigation links, of course to English and Français (French). For now, only the French side is under construction.
On the portal page, I set up the menu-sets to read: Name: Français  URL: fr/ .
I uploaded the index.php and .htaccess files to the appropriate backlight/fr folder.
In the portal PAGES I have replaced the Home and About pages with Français and English.

But, whenever I click on the Français button, I get to https://pideja.ca/fr instead of http://pideja.ca/luc/fr
Also, if I type in the correct url in the navigation bar, I get to an unformatted page!

The Backlight credentials are:

for pideja.ca/luc/fr  guest_touriste
for pideja.ca           guest_invite

Last edited by pideja (2018-01-21 03:37:26)

#6 2018-01-21 03:54:07

rod barbee
Website

The url fr/ is wrong, I assume you mean /fr
If it is /fr, then it’s no surprise that it takes you to the wrong place. If the site is in the /luc/fr subfolder, then the url should be /luc/fr

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2018-01-21 05:02:37

pideja

Surprisingly, I got it to go to the right place by...changing the site URL in the Backlight setup! But, although it's on pideja.ca/luc/fr the formatting is strange: I am using the BWRAO template available in Backlight but it doesn't show! The pideja.ca/luc/fr page looks more like the portal page (pideja.ca/luc)

#8 2018-01-21 06:19:25

rod barbee
Website

did you know you've disabled mobile navigation?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2018-01-21 06:20:56

rod barbee
Website

I uploaded the index.php and .htaccess files to the appropriate backlight/fr folder.

Those files do not belong in a backlight/ folder. they belong in the root of a site

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2018-01-21 06:28:37

rod barbee
Website

pideja wrote:

Surprisingly, I got it to go to the right place by...changing the site URL in the Backlight setup! But, although it's on pideja.ca/luc/fr the formatting is strange: I am using the BWRAO template available in Backlight but it doesn't show! The pideja.ca/luc/fr page looks more like the portal page (pideja.ca/luc)

There is no page template named BWRAO in /luc/fr/backlight. Neither is there one in /luc/backlight.

In the luc/fr installation, all pages are using your Default Page Template

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2018-01-22 22:14:41

pideja

I'm sorry, but I don't understand: there is only one page in pideja.ca/luc and it's a custom design named "luc -PAGES" based on the basic PANGOLIN page. It's got a paper texture as background and some other tweaks. There are only two navigation links to both the French and English versions. These links seem to work.
In the pideja.ca/luc/fr page, the BWARAO template is the default template. I have yet to do any formatting on it. So, it should appear as a black, red and white page and not (yet) have that paper background image as well as the masthead in type only in a box.

#12 2018-01-22 22:50:57

rod barbee
Website

You now have a BWARAO template in your template list, but it is not assigned to any of your pages. They are all set to Default Page.
BWAROA may be your default template, but it will only be automatically applied to new pages. You need to assign it to existing pages.

As to the navigation on your entry page, you’ve disabled vertical navigation. This also disables mobile navigation. Resize the browser to mobile widths and you’ll see what I mean.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2018-01-23 23:03:16

rod barbee
Website

I see that the luc/fr page is now using the BWARAO template. You may need to clear template cache to see the template design.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2018-01-23 23:27:04

rod barbee
Website

looking closer to the pages in Designer > Pages in the luc/fr site, I'm seeing something seriously off.
If I  click on the About page for instance and then hover over "View Page in Browser", the URL goes to http://pideja.ca/luc/?page=about
rather than /luc/fr/?page=about

Looking at your Settings, the Site URL is still set to http://pideja.ca/luc
That needs to be changes to http://pideja.ca/luc/fr

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2018-01-25 00:46:18

pideja

Making some progress, thanks to you, in converting this CE4 lucnadeau.ca to a Backlight site. A bit laborious but designing-as-you-build will do that, I guess.
Anyway, two questions: is there any way to have an image as background in the content area of the page; also, how to control palette width. Looking at the "about" page as it is, trying to decide if the "Cariboo" logo should be wider to accommodate the palette's width or the reverse. It also might turn out to be OK as it is.

#16 2018-01-25 01:10:55

rod barbee
Website

is there any way to have an image as background in the content area of the page

you can do it for the full page, as you've already done, but if you just want the content area, then you'll need to use custom css.

also, how to control palette width

In the Page Template: Layout > Pallet(s) Width

this is getting off the original topic. If you have more questions, can you start a new topic?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2018-01-25 01:46:34

pideja

will do. Thank you.

Board footer