Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-18 09:42:48

riccardo

Creating Custom 404 Error Page for specific templates

Is it possible to create a custom error page that could apply only to a certain subset of albums or album sets?

The way Backlight is currently set up, as I understand it, is the only customization one has for a 404 page is in the Publisher settings.  This, then, effects all albums, and album sets generated through Publisher.

If I wanted to make it specific to a certain album or album set, I would be out of luck.

Unless, perhaps, .....I could put some ErrorDocument 404 code into the htaccess file associated with those albums and album set.

Would that work?

#2 2018-01-18 20:36:35

richam
Website

Re: Creating Custom 404 Error Page for specific templates

I set up a fake page, explained in this previous post:

http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=7174

#3 2018-01-19 08:44:10

riccardo

OK, thanks for the pointer to that.  Don't know why I did not find that in my search.  That is helpful for site wide error page, but from Ben's comments, it seems the idea of adding custom error page info by specific album or album set is not workable in Backlight.  I assume that is still true today, as when he wrote his comments on 10-31-16.

#4 2018-01-19 15:21:01

richam
Website

I'll bet a clever programmer (which I am not) could present a different 404 page display by album just by HTML coding in the "Page not Found Message" and perhaps making a few other CSS/PHP adjustments.  I suspect the effort required to do this would exceed it's worth.

#5 2018-01-19 21:23:31

Ben

I'm not seeing the value of custom 404 pages for different sections of a site.  404s are pages that ideally your users never reach.  Can you explain the motivation for this?

#6 2018-01-20 02:09:42

riccardo

Short answer - an error page triggered by a login error.  So want to customize it to the particular set of people logging in, if they mistype.

Long Answer - I have a client that has a subset of people - about 75 - that I need to set up with separate login to see a gallery of their respective portraits.  With CE4 I could set up separate galleries,, then created a login page in html, using a single entry very simple javascript to access their individual gallery. I also created a custom error page in html, so that if they mistyped the login it would direct them back to the login page with a button, as well as providing other information.

Tried to set this up using album set as a login page and then separate albums (although not within the album set) for each of the 75.  But javascript cannot function properly from embedded content in album set.  Wanting to keep things as simple as possible, I did not want to use the login function that is accessible when creating the albums in LR Publisher. Just wanted a one entry login.

But since I wrote the original post, I am thinking the best way to handle this is to create a subdomain and use a separate installation of Backlight just dedicated to this subset group.  That way the error page will be customized to just this group. Also will use the username/passwd fields in LR Publisher to allow access to albums.  Can live with that, as I gain a more customized site and can even set up Pages, etc to make this subdomain more robust and informative.

#7 2018-01-20 11:56:30

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Are you using the Client Response add-on? If so, then you can give every one a single point of entry for logging in, and they will be redirected to their assigned galleries and using "Managed" albums. And if I'm not mistaken, they would never see a 404-error page.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer