Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-07 14:43:24

peter

Can't update this collection error

Hi,
I have just installed Backlight, Pages & Theatre.
As a long time user of TTG LR plugins, I decided to re-vamp the site using the new Backlight tools.
I have managed to make progress, but every time I try to publish a gallery, I keep getting this message:

Can't update this collection
Error uploading rendition.
Unable to complete the action.
Followed by some other gobble-de-gook including:
"     [nativeCode]=> 12152

The gallery contains over 300 images and only 21 were uploaded.
I have had this issue on all attempts with smaller galleries.

I also tried after completely removing all folders under the TTG Publisher service (in LR) and deleted all albums under 'Backlight>Publisher>Top-level Galleries>Albums and starting 'fresh'. Still the same issue.
Can I provide any other info that will help?

Peter

Edit:
Full message:
Publisher_Error_Msg.jpg

Last edited by peter (2017-11-07 15:35:46)

#2 2017-11-07 16:38:42

Ben

Re: Can't update this collection error

Hi Peter, are you hosting with GoDaddy by any chance?

#3 2017-11-08 11:05:13

peter

Looks like GoDaddy has me on an old server and wants me to upgrade to different one that supports PHP 7.0

#4 2017-11-08 12:54:48

Ben

The issue with GoDaddy is an over-zealous denial-of-service mechanism that incorrectly deems the legitimate traffic from Publisher to be a denial-of-service attack.  Moving to a server with PHP 7 won't necessarily the problem, unless that server implements improved denial-of-service detection.

#5 2017-11-08 13:46:49

PeterJ

Hmmm. Is there a better host out there? I remember TTG recommending Bluehost. How about Fatcow? Others?

#6 2017-11-08 15:37:45

kolohe280

I'm using 1and1, and running Backlight has been completely painless.  No problems of any kind.

#7 2017-11-08 21:39:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

We typically recommend either Bluehost or HostGator.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2017-11-13 08:20:15

peter

So, I have signed up with Bluehost.
It is going to take a few days (3-5) before the switch is made, apparently. Meanwhile I cannot publish an album due to this GoDaddy problem!!!
Is there a workaround? I guess I can wait a few days while I figure out a few things.

Edit: It looks like if I keep publishing, it picks up where it left off.
I have a gallery of 300 photos, so, at 10-20 uploads between crashes, it's going to take a while, but it's a workaround.

Last edited by peter (2017-11-13 08:25:40)

#9 2017-11-13 08:40:45

Ben

As you've found, Publishing can continue in blocks.  With GoDaddy, you'll need to wait 60 seconds after one set and continuing with the next.

#10 2017-11-19 07:09:09

peter

As a follow up, I switched to Bluehost. Once they came online, I was able to upload a lot of images without this issue.
With around 3000 images (we provide galleries of weddings to brides), I figure it would have taken 2-3 hrs. to do this with GoDaddy quitting the 'publish' process every 10-20 images and making me wait a minute.

But, I lost more than that trying to get my wife's wordpress blog copied over.

The support is chat based (I don't think they have phone service) located in India, judging from the names and grammar. They are just not as good as the GoDaddy support.

I had problems with the database file, and I ended up having to restore an older database file. I had to use phpMyAdmin (never even heard of it before, let alone knew how to use it) to download the DB's, so that was a chore in itself.

I also had to use Filezilla in SFTP mode (new to me) to access the Wordpress files that were used in 4 years of blogs - 7Gb worth!
Once they were d/l'd locally, I had to u/l to the Bluehost server.

I had just switched to optic 150/150. Boy, I can't imagine doing this on my previous 25/5 service. The up & downloads took several hours each.

There were still a few more things to do - create a new DB on Bluehost, import the DB over that & edit the wp-config.php file.

After first telling my wife her blogs were gone forever, to showing her it up and running, it was a massive sigh of relief and a dinner out to celebrate.
So, if you are experiencing this problem and want to switch hosts, research what to do for transferring a blog first. You may not get the tech support you need.

Last edited by peter (2017-11-19 07:11:18)

#11 2017-11-19 07:24:28

rod barbee
Website

And there are some pretty good WordPress plugins for this as well. For example: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#12 2017-11-19 07:36:08

peter

Wish I knew about this before... smile

#13 2017-11-29 17:49:44

hjrw

I have finally started my install of Backlight.  I am on GoDaddy. 

With CE4, I would get the well reported error caused by alleged denial of service errors.  However, I could upload 20-50 images, wait a minute and upload another set.  GoDaddy finally reset some limits specific to my IP address and subsequently I have had very few issues.

With Backlight, I was able to upload 3 images, then I received error 12031 ("network connection lost" and "the connection with the server was reset").  After that, Publisher immediately gives me the error as soon as it prepares the export.  I am unable to upload any additional images.  GoDaddy support does not see any issues with my upload and suggested that Adobe may be using too many (>4) connections to the server.

A workaround would be to be able to publish the gallery to a local folder and manually upload to the server with my FTP client.  I have no issues uploading any number of images to the server using FTP outside of Lightroom.  However, I presume that would make it difficult to update the images on the server without a total replacement of the gallery.

Any suggestions?  I tried turning off my firewall but that didn't help.

Thanks
-Herschel

#14 2017-11-30 01:41:21

rod barbee
Website

I don't think your workaround will work. Everything depends on the database on the server. (templates, etc) That means you must publish to the server using the Publisher instance connected to your site.

But the logs might help Ben

See this from the CE4 Publisher docs, it still mostly applies (except for the location of the server logs):
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … g_for_help

In Backlight, you can find the server side Publisher logs at /backlight/data/publisher/logs/

the log file found on your computer can be huge. Try copying the most recent entries to a new text file to send to Ben.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2017-11-30 02:31:19

Daniel Leu
Website

hjrw wrote:

Thanks
-Herschel

Looking at other users feedback regarding GoDaddy, the easiest solution seems to be to move to a different hosting company.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#16 2017-11-30 05:54:25

hjrw

Daniel Leu wrote:
hjrw wrote:

Thanks
-Herschel

Looking at other users feedback regarding GoDaddy, the easiest solution seems to be to move to a different hosting company.

I am tied to GoDaddy for several more years.  The error I am receiving is instantaneous.  It appears to be something local to Lightroom using Backlight.

#17 2017-11-30 05:57:28

rod barbee
Website

I'd suggest gathering your logs for Ben then.

When I was with GoDaddy and switching to Bluehost, GoDaddy refunded the time I had remaining. This was several years ago though so maybe they don't do that any more.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2017-11-30 06:03:52

peter

Didn't do that for me. They need a support ticket that documented the problem was their problem. Support just claimed I needed to upgrade to a more up-to-date server. I didn't have the time or energy to try to persuade them that it wouldn't change the issue - the support guy said it would. For me to waste my time upgrading, then finding out it didn't solve the problem, then having to ask for refunds for all that...
Easier to let it go. I was halfway through the year so not a huge loss, and still no guarantee I would get a refund.

#19 2017-11-30 06:17:59

rod barbee
Website

They must have changed policies. When I left I probably had six months or so left. I just switched to Bluehost, pointed the name servers where they needed to go, and closed out the GoDaddy account. They just refunded what I had left with no questions. But this was several years ago.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2017-11-30 07:32:45

Ben

I am hesitant to provide support for Publisher issues on a GoDaddy-hosted site.  Their denial-of-service detection has been blocking Publisher and related LR plugins for a decade or more.

The instantaneous nature of the error is interesting.  Can you copy out the API URL from your LR Publisher instance and paste it into a browser to see whether the server responds?  As an example, on a test site, I have

http://backlight.somethingchanged.com/backlight/publisher/

, which provides the expected output of

{"status":"error","message":"The page sent an action which was not available."}

#21 2017-11-30 08:16:34

hjrw

Ben

I get the expected message

status    "error"
message    "The page sent an action which was not available."

#22 2017-11-30 09:07:55

Ben

Thanks for confirming.  Can you email me with your API URL and Key, so that I can try it on my end?  (it's probably best to temporarily change the Key to something you can share.  This can be done in Backlight > Publisher > Settings).

#23 2017-11-30 11:04:54

hjrw

Settings will not allow me to change the API key.  It says it is saved, but it fails the authentication.  After trying to authenticate and failing, if I re-enter the original key in the Publishing Manager that I set up initially, that one authenticates.

No files are newer than last night on the server...  so the backlight settings does not appear to be updating the server info

Going crazy here....

Last edited by hjrw (2017-11-30 11:13:36)

#24 2017-11-30 11:24:10

Ben

That sounds no good at all.. can you provide me with a Backlight login and FTP access?  I'll see what I can work out.

#25 2017-12-01 01:42:40

hjrw

Ben...

I changed the API to your server.  It authenticated.  I tried to upload some images and got a different error message,

"Can't update this collection.  Unable to perform action: uploadRendition.  The album could not be found for id71468" 

I get this error immediately after LR completes the "Preparing to export..." message.

Since you were able to upload an album to the GoDaddy server, can we rule that step out at this time?

Board footer