Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-25 01:46:02

dlangan

Album sets

Hiya,

I have a 'Real Weddings' section on my website & it's a menu option.  When chosen on the menu, I want my 5 real wedding albums to display.  This works fine if I've only got one LR library because under TTG Publisher I create an album set & away I go.  I created 4 albums from one catalog & all worked fine.

Problem arises when I try to add a real wedding album from another LR catalog.  I can't create another real wedding album set because one already exists so if I try, a RealWedding2 gets created.

I thought I found a workaround by 'edit settings' in my publisher and putting "Top-level galleries directory= Galleries/RealWeddings" (pointing to my existing realwedding directory) but now my original real weddings gallery has been overwritten with my 5th gallery from this other LR catalog.  I logged onto the server & my existing 4 albums/dirs are still there but I guess there's a new index.php that's ignoring the 4 albums & just showing the new one.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to write to my RealWeddings album set from different LR catalogs?

Thanking you,
Deirdre

#2 2017-11-25 02:08:58

rod barbee
Website

Re: Album sets

Albums and album sets are catalog specific.
If you create an album set in one catalog, only that catalog can control it.
A work around is to use the Lightroom Voyager plugin to transfer Publisher collections between catalogs
https://alloyphoto.com/plugins/lrvoyager/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-11-25 02:42:26

dlangan

Hi Rod,

Thank you very much for your reply.  I just purchased & downloaded Voyager but from what I can gather it's not really helping. It looks like I have to merge catalogs (which I could have done without Voyager).  And I don't want to merge catalogs.  I want to keep my 2016 weddings in my 2016 catalog & 2017 weddings in 2017 catalog etc.  Yet I'd still like to be able to add weddings from all catalogs to my RealWeddings section.

Maybe there's more to it but I really can't understand why it can't be done more simply in publisher.  For instance, the index.php should grab all directories within an album set regardless of where they were written to.

Thank you for your help smile
Deirdre

#4 2017-11-25 02:58:55

rod barbee
Website

. It’s not that simple. And it probably has more to do with a Lightroom limitation rather than a TTG Publisher limitation.
The index.php doesn’t “see” anything. Code within it gets info from the database from Publisher. The database controls everything
Regardless, Publisher instances are catalog specific.
You can use another catalog to publish to a top-level gallery, however, whatever you publish with that catalog will need to be controlled by that catalog.
(Unless you use Lightroom Voyager to transfer the published collections to another catalog)

I don’t know that you have to merge entire catalogs, but I imagine you would need to merge images in your Publisher collections from one catalog to the other

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-11-25 02:59:00

JimR
Website

All the recommendations I've read are to not split up your photos into multiple catalogs. Best to keep Lightroom in a single catalog. There once was a limitation in the size of a catalog, but that hasn't been true for at least five years.

About the only time a single catalog has a downside is if you've got about a million photos and process hundreds of images a day. Otherwise, life is good with just a single catalog for everything. There are many downsides to having all your images across multiple catalogs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/ … asics.html

https://lightroomkillertips.com/should- … lightroom/

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/one-or-m … -catalogs/

--Jim

#6 2017-11-25 07:50:09

Daniel Leu
Website

Just a thought:

Create a top-level directory /wedding_galleries. And then create publisher instances for /wedding_galleries/2016, /wedding_galleries/2017 etc. Each publisher instance would be created in the respective catalog. Now you should be able to publish your new weddings for the respective years.

Then create a page (eg /weddings) that contains the links to the different top-level wedding galleries (eg, /wedding_galleries/2016, /wedding_galeries/2017 etc).

I would use a default catalog to maintain the common website design and architecture.

This is a workaround to the Lr Publisher instance limitation and it might work for your particular setup.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#7 2017-11-25 17:28:03

peter

I don't know if this would work for you, but you could 'import' to the current catalogue - maybe to a new directory, called Website Duplicates', or something. Then browse to the location of the wedding images on your hard drive and import.
Once they are imported, just select and drag over to the album in publisher?

Board footer