Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-14 15:08:32

peter

Poor quality of images after publishing

Not sure where I am losing the sharpness of the photos, but the originals, imported into LR, are very sharp & hi-res.
When they are published, I can 'View' them from the Albums section in Backlight and it's quite a drop in quality.
The file size is only 1/10 of the original and resolution has been changed.
Where do I control these settings?
It's a fine line between fast loading and quality trade off, I know. But I would like to improve on it.
Thanks.
Peter

#2 2017-11-14 16:01:05

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Poor quality of images after publishing

One reason for the smaller file size is the image size. The image quality (and size) can be set in Backlight's Albums settings under Image Renditions.

Jeffrey Friedl has a great analysis of the impact of the quality settings at http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2017-11-14 16:57:38

peter

I do have those set correctly, but I still am getting images that are 960x456 instead of 1920x912
When you Publish in LR, there are no image size/quality options in the TTG plugin, like there are for other Publisher plugins.
Good info on the site, and nice sample java scripts.
Thanks!

#4 2017-11-14 17:15:55

peter

Upon further investigation, I can see by logging on to my host that the uploaded images are great (1920x912). Which leads me to believe it's a setting in Backlight somewhere...
I'll investigate further tomorrrow

Last edited by peter (2017-11-14 17:16:19)

#5 2017-11-14 17:25:47

JimR
Website

peter wrote:

Upon further investigation, I can see by logging on to my host that the uploaded images are great (1920x912). Which leads me to believe it's a setting in Backlight somewhere...

I'm guessing it's your browser's cache. Try flushing the cache from your browser and then reloading the pages in question.

--Jim

#6 2017-11-14 17:34:55

peter

JimR wrote:
peter wrote:

I'm guessing it's your browser's cache. Try flushing the cache from your browser and then reloading the pages in question.

Man - You nailed it!
I opened the page up in IE instead of Chrome and, it was fine all along.

#7 2017-11-14 17:43:44

JimR
Website

peter wrote:

I opened the page up in IE instead of Chrome and, it was fine all along.

I've banged my head on the desk so many times I just assume odd things are the cache. If you ever see the "wrong" image or something about it that hasn't updated, flush the browser cache.

I wish Chrome (my only browser) had a development mode that would temporarily disable caching.

There's a menu option in Chrome to flush the cache. That brings up a dialog. You can uncheck everything but "Cached images and files." That will removed cached images (an issue that will come up many times while publishing images).

Chrome's cache is also going to bite you while modifying CSS files.

--Jim

#8 2017-11-14 17:57:01

Ben

Chrome has an option "Disable cache (while DevTools is open)".  This is accessible from the developer tools (command-option I on a Mac.  Perhaps control-alt I on Windows?).  You then need to access the DevTools settings (by pressing F1 or ?), and check the Disable cache option.

Another option is to do a force refresh, any time you know you've changed something that may be cached.  Control-F5 on Windows and Command-Shift-R on Macs should work for most browsers.

#9 2017-11-14 22:22:28

Matthew
Administrator
Website

peter wrote:

When you Publish in LR, there are no image size/quality options in the TTG plugin, like there are for other Publisher plugins.

And in case you haven't realized it yet, image settings are a part of the album template. Edit the template, and look under the section titled "Image Renditions". Here you can set image size, quality, etc., as with other Lightroom exports.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#10 2017-11-15 00:43:07

peter

Thanks to all comments & suggestions. FYI, ctrl F5 on Chrome doesn't reload images so you do have to go through the settings to do that. I thought that ctrl F5 did that at one point in Chrome's life, but not sure what it does now. Image file sizes are small enough for fast loading but the quality did not suffer. Even though the resolution did not change, and image rendition settings are matching, the quality is reduced somewhere in the process of publishing. I would like to have control over that, but for now, I'm satisfied with what it's doing. Still some learning curve to the design process, but way 'less steep'!! I should be able to finish the home page soon, then on to the galleries and other pages.
Cheers.

#11 2017-11-15 01:11:18

rod barbee
Website

you do have sharpening and jpg quality control.
more on jpg quality: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/2012/03/1 … -settings/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#12 2017-11-15 04:08:57

peter

rod barbee wrote:

you do have sharpening and jpg quality control.
more on jpg quality: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/2012/03/1 … -settings/

This is when you are editing and exporting a file from LR yes?
But when you 'Publish' an album, the images go through other processing right? Where do you access those settings?
Or I am off base?

#13 2017-11-15 04:21:33

charlie.choc
Website

In your album template under Image Renditions you specify the size and quality of the jpegs that Publisher uses to 'publish' the album assigned to that template.

#14 2017-11-15 04:23:53

peter

charlie.choc wrote:

In your album template under Image Renditions you specify the size and quality of the jpegs that Publisher uses to 'publish' the album assigned to that template.

Oh, I see. That's great info. Exactly what I was looking for!!!

Cheers!

#15 2017-11-15 06:39:48

rod barbee
Website

nearly all settings for albums can be found in Backlight album templates.
The settings you'll find in Publisher are things like which template to assign a new album or album set, whether to included watermarks on thumbnails, the watermarks you want to use, specific album text, integration with Cart and Client Response, hiding the album or set from the parent album set, and a few others.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#16 2017-11-15 09:55:27

peter

Thanks for the help!

Board footer