Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-09 04:25:15

mjenich

November 1 update problems

I followed the directions in **v1.2.3** readme directions. I completed all three steps. In step 2 when I went to the designer and Publisher sections it indicated it was updating the data bases. However, when I completed step three and went to my site I got this message, "Unable to load template: ./backlight/framework/../admin/application/views/templates/template_home.php". Your thoughts.

I just noticed that you included 2 files in the download but gave no directions on how to deal with them. They are the HTACCESS and index.php files. Does the fix have anything to do with them?

Last edited by mjenich (2017-11-09 04:31:40)

#2 2017-11-09 05:44:03

rod barbee
Website

Re: November 1 update problems

.htaccess and index.php files are for the Pages module.
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … on_install
If you're using Pages, then you've already installed them and only need to upload the files indicated in the readme.txt

Not sure about that error. That will be something for Matt or Ben to comment on.

can you post a link to your site so Ben and Matt will have something to look at?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-11-09 05:54:39

mjenich

#4 2017-11-09 06:16:23

rod barbee
Website

I can get to the Backlight login page, though it's missing all the styling.

My guess is that some files either weren't uploaded or got corrupted along the way. I'd suggest uploading them again.

You didn't happen to delete the backlight/modules/okapi-core/ folder did you? If so, be sure to upload that as well.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2017-11-09 07:09:14

mjenich

Should I delete the files then upload the new files or can I just over write each of them.

#6 2017-11-09 07:14:30

rod barbee
Website

that depends on the settings of your FTP software. Mine is set to overwrite if the uploading file is of different size or is newer.
To be safe, delete the old folders and upload the new.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2017-11-09 07:37:14

mjenich

I deleted the old folders and uploaded the new files and got the same message. BTW- The first time I uploaded the six module files and confirmed they were uploaded but two files , the okapi-core and the pangolin-core files were not listed in FileZilla. The second time I uploaded all 6 and they are all there now.Any other ideas?

#8 2017-11-09 07:59:33

rod barbee
Website

Any other ideas?

send an email to Ben with Backlight admin credentials and FTP access credentials.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2017-11-09 08:01:47

rod barbee
Website

Oh, and I see through Wappalyzer that your site is running on a Nginx server. See this: http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … web_server

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2017-11-09 09:00:52

Daniel Leu
Website

rod barbee wrote:

Oh, and I see through Wappalyzer that your site is running on a Nginx server. See this: http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … web_server

Hmmm.... Rod, your sites are reported to be running on Nginx as does mine. But AFAIK, my site runs on Apache. There might be something flaky with Wappalyzer's detection logic.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#11 2017-11-09 10:01:22

rod barbee
Website

why so it does. Strange.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2017-11-09 12:06:45

Ben

Thanks for sending the FTP access.  I'll have a look into this tonight, Melbourne time.

On the error message:

"Unable to load template: ./backlight/framework/../admin/application/views/templates/template_home.php"

This is unfortunately a red herring.  "template_home.php" doesn't exist, and isn't meant to be there.  Backlight shouldn't be looking for it.  It only does so if another underlying error causes Backlight to reach that section of the code.  I'll try to make a point of finding a more graceful way for Backlight to handle the underlying error.  And of course, I'll try to find what that underlying error is on your site.

#13 2017-11-09 19:34:59

Ben

Hi Martin, I've had a look at your site.  This error can happen when the required modules are missing.  In your case, your page templates are using the previous generation of modules, denoted by names starting with 'standard'.  By removing these, your site became broken.

I've fixed this by re-uploading standard-page, standard-album and standard-album-set.  These need to remain on your server while you still use the older modules in Designer.

#14 2017-11-09 23:10:22

mjenich

Thanks. I saw what you did. That begs the question how can I become up to date in Designer. I thought I was already there. I must have missed something.

#15 2017-11-09 23:33:26

rod barbee
Website

You can’t update old okapi templates to pangolin. You’ll need to create new pangoline templates.
The reason you need the okapi files is so your existing templates will still work.

See this blog post: http://theturninggate.net/2017/06/30/ba … available/
Scroll down toward the end

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2017-11-10 07:32:54

mjenich

Pangolin looks interesting and would like to have it. I'd like to see the video that Matt mentioned he was going to make before I tried the migration. But couldn't I just start over with my galleries using pangolin and avoid the need to migrate? It seems to me that I could simply upload the module pangolin files (I think there are 3 of them), delete the old okapi files and develop a new template. Then upload the new albums and I'd be good to go.

#17 2017-11-10 08:07:52

Ben

Hi Martin, as you've suggested, you should be able to do make the change by creating new Pangolin templates and assigning those to albums.  One convenience is that when you delete Okapi templates, you're prompted to re-assign any albums and album sets using those templates to another template (i.e. a newly-created Pangolin template).

After re-assigning templates, you may need to republish your galleries.  Firstly, the metadata may need refreshing.  For a fast republish of only the metadata, make sure that the Lightroom Publisher setting 'Push metadata without updating thumbnails' is checked.  If you also need to update thumbnails, due to a change in dimensions between the Okapi and Pangolin templates, then check the 'Publish thumbnails without updating other renditions' checkbox.  The latter option will also update the metadata.

There's no harm in leaving the Okapi modules starting with standard-.  The module named 'okapi-core' must be kept, as the Backlight admin pages uses Okapi.

Lastly, it's worth noting that although Pangolin is an improved generation of web engines, that you don't actually *need* to update from Okapi to Pangolin.  Okapi will keep on working well with the latest Backlight files.

#18 2017-11-10 23:55:50

mjenich

Thanks for your explanation in #17 above. After thinking about it and based on my level of competence, I've decided to leave things the way they are for now. It's working. I'm quite interested in seeing the video that Matt will be making on the subject however. I assume I will have to simply keep an eye out for it rather than looking for some sort of announcement from him that he made the video and it's available to users. 1. Is that a safe assumption? On a separate topic.

2. I'm wondering if I can have  Backlight set ups on two different computers? I have a laptop that goes with me everywhere that has Lightroom 5.7 installed. At this point I use it to develop images away from home but publish them to my website from my desktop computer. My desktop of course has Backlight and is where I do all the publishing. It would be nice but not necessary to have the capability to publish from my laptop as well as desktop.

#19 2017-11-11 01:10:00

rod barbee
Website

Backlight is set up on your web server, not your computer.
The only part installed on your computer is the Publisher plugin.
You can certainly install the Publisher plugin into Lightroom on your laptop.

One thing to keep in mind is that published albums and album sets are catalog specific.
This means that you cannot control an album from both your desktop and your laptop unless you’re using the same catalog.

Or you can use the Lightroom Voyager plugin to move published collections from one catalog to another.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2017-11-13 01:08:06

mjenich

So all I have to do to publish from my laptop is to set my Filezilla up to point to the files/folders on my site. I should use my desktop's Files zilla as a guide. Then make sure I have publisher plugin on my laptop's version of Lightroom and I should be good to go. My work flow involves developing images on my laptop in the field, then exporting the catalog from my laptop, then importing them into my desktop.  Correct? FYI-My desktop is my main computer to which I have a number of external drives attached. They are where I keep the images as well as all the backups.

I've used Voyager in the past and have been very impressed with it. But I'm not sure how it fits in here. Please advise.

#21 2017-11-13 07:14:07

rod barbee
Website

Use Voyager if you’re publishing from different catalogs and you want one catalog to have the same Publisher collections as the other catalog.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer