Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-27 02:24:41

pideja

Backlight backwards!

I have a site up that, upon inspection on my ftp server, seems built with Backlight. But, for some strange reason, there is no Publisher set up for this site. I wonder how I published this site? Anyway, can I retroactively create a Publisher module to continue to expand this website?

http://pideja.ca/duceppe_scenographies/

#2 2017-09-27 02:33:14

rod barbee
Website

Re: Backlight backwards!

did you happen to set it up in a different catalog or on another computer?

To answer your question, you can create a Publisher instance to publish to this site. But unless you can find the original catalog that created it, you won't have any control over existing content via Lightroom. But you will be able to add to the site.

If you need to, you can re-created the existing albums in your current catalog and publish them. You'll need to manually delete the existing albums via the Backlight interface though.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-09-27 22:23:46

pideja

Found the Backlight catalogue and created a Publisher instance. I will now be able to update this site in a more coherent way.

However, it must be a legacy from the previous CE3 version, there are numbers in front of the titles on some galleries. Each "season" constitutes a gallery. Within each "season", there are the corresponding productions I shot. For some reason, seasons 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 display these numbers. I would like to remove them but since they have not been published with Publisher, I cannot find where I can edit these labels. I can see them when I look at the source code page, but rummaging thru the site files on my ftp server, I cannot find this code.

Is there any way to solve this other than re-publishing everything?

Last edited by pideja (2017-09-27 22:24:29)

#4 2017-09-27 23:03:50

pideja

I think it might be helpfull to have an URL to look at : pideja.ca/duceppe_scenographies

#5 2017-09-27 23:14:13

rod barbee
Website

those numbers are coming out of your catalog. What are you using in the album template's metadata fields? Looks like either the Title or Caption.
Then check the image metadata in the Library module and make your changes there. You'll need to then republish the albums after making the changes. Use the Publisher option to "Push metadata ..."

and those albums were published by Publisher. These are Backlight albums and using Publisher is the only way to get the images there.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2017-09-28 00:43:31

pideja

Something is rotten in...Montreal! I am now certain that this a Backlight site. like you say. But, for some unknown reason, there are no albums nor images in the Publisher module! The only ones there now are the ones I made up this morning: "Saison 2009-2010" and "Saison 2414-2015" All the other images are there but not accounted for in Publisher.

Quite the mish-mash.

I guess I will have to re-publish all the albums in order to straighten out this mess.

Thanks Rod.

#7 2017-09-28 02:52:11

rod barbee
Website

Chances are that the other albums are a result of being published with either another catalog or from another instance of Publisher.
If you want them all under one Publisher instance, you'll need to delete those orphans and republish.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2017-09-30 01:34:55

pideja

Hi Rod,
I sort of thought that in the end, I would have to re-publish. I frankly have no idea how I published those pages/galleries without Publisher. I had to replace my data drive and I might have lost some date while doing the transfer. That's all I can think of.

I am wondering: when I get these updates for Backlight, the latest one being 1.22, should I replace/update the "older" Backlight files on previously published sites? How can I do that without overwriting the previous formatting already in use?

#9 2017-09-30 03:13:29

rod barbee
Website

I frankly have no idea how I published those pages/galleries without Publisher.

In Backlight it's impossible to publish albums and album sets without using Publisher. Stand alone pages can be created from within Backlight and you can insert albums or album sets into these pages. But the albums and sets can only be placed online via Publisher.

I am wondering: when I get these updates for Backlight, the latest one being 1.22, should I replace/update the "older" Backlight files on previously published sites? How can I do that without overwriting the previous formatting already in use?

This depends. Are you updating old Backlight 1.1.1 (Okapi) sites or 1.2 (Pangolin) sites.

There are instructions in the readme.txt file for either.

And you won't overwrite any previous formatting. All of those settings are stored in the database for each template you've created. As long as you don't overwrite the database, you'll be fine.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2017-11-02 21:12:51

pideja

So, whenever I receive an update, like the latest Pangolin 1.22 to Pangolin 1.23, I only have to replace the TTG-Publisher plug-in within Lightroom.

I don't think I need to replace the Backlight and the Galleries folders (and the Index.php) since the corresponding folders already have files and data within them.

Am I right?

Last edited by pideja (2017-11-02 21:13:42)

#11 2017-11-02 21:20:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The instructions for upgrade are in the blog article.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#12 2017-11-02 22:03:25

rod barbee
Website

always update the files indicated in the readme.txt file that comes with the download. There are always fixes, updates, and/or new features.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2017-11-02 22:06:21

Matthew
Administrator
Website

And we always list the folders and files to be changed in detail, to minimize your upload. When in doubt, replace the full application, preserving your backlight/data and backlight/custom folders.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer