Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-12 20:40:13

Rainer Goergen
Website

Advantage - more than one publisher instance

Hi, I am testing a new structure of my website and wanted the same on my NAS.
Is it better to use 2 separate instances of publisher or do you think it is better to use only one and change only the url-path to make changes on both sites?

Is there a way to copy the album-sets from one TTG-publisher instance to a new one? I find no way at time.

Rainer

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2017-10-13 07:57:49)

#2 2017-10-12 20:43:27

Ben

Re: Advantage - more than one publisher instance

Hi Rainer, the approach would depend on what you're trying to do.  Are you planning to maintain copies of your site at two separate locations, or are you moving from one location to the other?

#3 2017-10-12 23:06:59

michilge
Website

Hi Rainer,

if both installations are meant to exist parallel, I would strongly advise to use two instances of the lr-publisher. It is highly probable that You will not manage to keep everything 100% in sync.

Herzliche Grüße
Michael

#4 2017-10-12 23:34:33

Daniel Leu
Website

I would use two publisher instances as well. Maybe you can use smart collections for the second instance to duplicate the gallery content of the first publisher instance.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2017-10-12 23:54:46

Rainer Goergen
Website

Don't know how to duplicate the gallery content as smart collection to a second instance.

Rainer

#6 2017-10-13 00:42:23

rod barbee
Website

I don't think there's an automatic way of doing it, you'll need to create each one individually. Maybe someone else has some ideas. (lots of into online about using smart collections. Smart albums are created the same way as smart collections)

But you can create a smart album based on the name of an already published album. Smart albums only populate the album with images. You'll need to fill out all the album details like name, template, album copy, etc.
But it will populate the album with images.

I don't see any way of duplicating album sets though. I think you'll need to do that manually.

I've not looked, but perhaps there's a Lightroom plug-in out there that can duplicate the album-set/album structure of a Publisher instance.
Lightroom Voyager will transfer published collections from one catalog to another catalog, preserving the album-set/album structure. I don't see anything about it being able to duplicate a Publisher instance within a catalog though.
But it might be worth asking them.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2017-10-13 00:51:39

Rainer Goergen
Website

Thanks, I will do it manually.

Rainer

#8 2017-10-13 05:37:25

Ben

It’s hard to advise without an answer to my question above.

One option for two exact copies would be to maintain one through LR and use a sync function of a good FTP application. The directories to sync would depend on whether you plan to duplicate the galleries or entire Backlight site.

#9 2017-10-13 07:56:17

Rainer Goergen
Website

Sorry Ben,
in the past, I created my site on my NAS. When finished and worked, I have uploaded the complete root files, backlight and galleries folder via FileZilla to my provider. In Lightroom Publisher plugin and in Backlight Admin I have changed all to the right path.
When I have added a new album to my website, I have changed the path in Lightroom Publisher plugin to my NAS and uploaded the same album to the NAS.
Some weeks ago I changed the structure in my galleries on my website. When I tried to change this too on my NAS, I have get error messages.

Today now, I have downloaded the backlight folder from my website to my NAS. I have changed all paths to my NAS. In Backlight Publisher Top Level Galleries, I have deleted all albums and after this I have started to upload all my album sets and albums from a new created second Publisher instance.

It is a lot of work, but in a few days I have two clear backlight installations with two Publisher instances. So it is much easier to test and I have one more backup from my website and I can do changes much more easier and comfortable.

It's a pity that there is no way to drag and drop or copy and paste between two Publisher instances.

Rainer

Board footer