Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-07 07:21:29

gbbiv
Website

Gallery Set Hierarchy match Folder Hierarchy in Catalog?

Is there a way to have the Gallery/Gallery Set hierarchy automatically match the folder hierarchy that is in a collection?  Just point a Gallery at the top level and have it publish everything underneath?

#2 2017-10-07 07:26:47

Ben

Re: Gallery Set Hierarchy match Folder Hierarchy in Catalog?

There isn't.

#3 2017-10-07 07:27:56

gbbiv
Website

Ok thanks.

#4 2017-10-07 22:45:13

gbbiv
Website

Any chance something like that is in the works?

I understand those who start here won't have an issue as doing things the way I did previously is less effecient that using the real power of Lightroom organization... but I'm trying to consider how to move from previous systems to the new system and having to setup everything from scratch seems like it will be rather painful.

Any way to edit configs somewhere to create the Album Set structure?

#5 2017-10-08 08:16:50

Ben

Very little chance.  It may be technically possible to build something like this but at a lot of effort for little reward.  You're the first person to suggest this feature, which suggests it wouldn't be of wider interest.  In practical terms, I'd imagine that few of our customers would want their entire catalogs published, or would have catalogs far too large to push in entirety to the web.  Our back-end is geared to thousands of photos, and not tens or hundreds of thousands of photos.

#6 2017-10-08 11:12:05

gbbiv
Website

Ok, Thanks.

I'm just trying to work through the mental process of the transition and how to adjust a significant amount of my workflow.  I have a hard time trusting all the "features" in Lightroom (I just don't trust in the longevity of software) so looking for a balance in my old and this new way of doing things.  The collections I'm talking about is not my entire library but the directory structure of Gallery only images I've built over the last 15 years... one that was business oriented an other that is more personally oriented.  But even then they are both in the tens of thousands of images.

I'm sure I'll figure something out... there are lots of options.  Problem is I'm not doing much these days.. just trying to get away from some old Flash stuff that was just dying so this is sort of a back burner project I'm just trying to get mostly framed up ASAP because I don't have much time.

Thanks for all your help.

#7 2017-10-08 19:12:46

Ben

Thanks for explaining.  I also don't have a lot of trust in the longevity of Lightroom.  The development of Backlight's Design tools was largely prompted by uncertainty of ongoing existence for the Web module.

In your case are you only focussed on Collections rather than Folders?  I can't at this point think of a good way to automate what you're looking for.  Perhaps others more experienced as users in Lightroom will be able to offer suggestions.

#8 2017-10-08 22:25:41

charlie.choc
Website

You might take a look at smart albums. I don't have a lot of experience with them but you can define rules on what is included and any photo that meets the criteria will be in the album. You could then use metadata contents, for example, to automate inclusion or exclusion in your galleries.

Board footer