Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-04 08:40:23

rsamco
Website

Restrict metadata published with images?

In Pangolin, is there anyway to restrict the metadata set that is published with each image? Specifically, I do not wish to publish my images' geolocation/gps info.

Rick

#2 2017-08-04 08:49:39

rod barbee
Website

Re: Restrict metadata published with images?

In Publisher setup in Lightroom under Metadata. Try checking "Remove Location Info"

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-08-04 18:29:37

markh
Website

You might consider looking at Jeffrey Friedl's Lightroom plugin called Metadata Wrangler. It's at: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies
Regards Mark

#4 2017-10-06 03:58:48

rsamco
Website

I'm finally getting back to this ...

After LOTS of experiments (see below), I have concluded that BL's "TTG Publish Service" in Lr is completely broken when it comes to filtering out the metadata of published images.

As suggested in this thread, I explored different Lr Publisher setup settings to no avail. Neither checking Lr's "Remove Location Info" nor selecting its dropdown "Include: Copyright & Contact Info Only" worked. All of an image's metadata was always published.
I then tried using Friedl's Metadata Wrangler and it didn't remove metadata data either. I used its "remove all metadata" preset and all image metadata was still published.

All of the above were tried with the Lr Publisher setting "Push metadata without updating existing photos" checked. So I then tried to publish with the Lr Publisher setting "Push metadata without updating existing photos" now UNchecked. The now totally regenerated publsihed images still included all metadata.

I then looked at my current CE4-based website and found that its published images also had unwanted metadata (e.g., all camera and location info)!!! I know that at one time this wasn't the case. Even though it is a CE4 site, I switched over from the previous CE4 Publish Service to BL's new "TTG Publish Service" earlier this year. I did that in preparation for migrating the website to BL. I suspect that that's when all metadata started being published.

But I was now starting to question my own sanity and also wondered if Lr's publish services framework was at fault. So I did an experiment with a non-TTG publish service -- a simple Lr "Hard Drive" service, where published images just get copied to a local directory. I set it up with Lr's "Include: Copyright & Contact Info Only". This worked as expected!

Therefore my conclusion that the "TTG Publish Service" is completely broken w.r.t. metadata filtering. But I still can't believe that I'm the only one to have experienced & reported this problem (i.e., I'm still questioning my own sanity).

Rick

#5 2017-10-06 07:26:38

Daniel Leu
Website

rsamco wrote:

I then tried using Friedl's Metadata Wrangler and it didn't remove metadata data either. I used its "remove all metadata" preset and all image metadata was still published.

As far as I know, the Backlight Lr Publishing service doesn't support export plugins. So it makes sense that Jeffrey's plugin doesn't work.

rsamco wrote:

Therefore my conclusion that the "TTG Publish Service" is completely broken w.r.t. metadata filtering. But I still can't believe that I'm the only one to have experienced & reported this problem (i.e., I'm still questioning my own sanity).

Well, it seems to work for me. I have Copyright & Contact Info selected and I don't see other metadata in my images. This is one of my more recent images: http://danielleu.com/galleries/_recent_ … single.php

Looking at the EXIF data, there is not much left, specially all the keywords are gone:

XMP
XMP Toolkit	Adobe XMP Core 5.6-c128 79.159124, 2016/03/18-14:01:55
Web Statement	www.DanielLeu.com
Marked	True
Original Document ID	4B6F9F6F2279DF08B79DF71428E3F7FA
Document ID	xmp.did:01cdf86a-a204-46c4-a362-d6459f51c25b
Instance ID	xmp.iid:01cdf86a-a204-46c4-a362-d6459f51c25b
Metadata Date	2017:01:05 21:59:35-08:00
8 months, 30 days, 17 hours, 14 minutes, 4 seconds ago
Rights	Copyright © 2016, Daniel Leu
Creator	Daniel Leu
Title	Snowy Trees at Merced River
Usage Terms	All rights reserved
Creator Work Email	info@danielleu.com
Creator Work URL	www.DanielLeu.com
EXIF — this group of metadata is encoded in 19,813 bytes (19.3k)
Artist	Daniel Leu
Copyright	Copyright © 2016, Daniel Leu
Exif Version	0230
Color Space	sRGB
Compression	JPEG (old-style)
Resolution	240 pixels/inch
X Resolution	72
Y Resolution	72
Thumbnail Length	19,545

Don't know why this doesn't work for you.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#6 2017-10-06 09:38:19

Ben

rsamco wrote:

Your conclusion is wrong.  This works as expected for me and always has, so it can not be 'completely' broken.  Are you by chance reviewing metadata on images that are cached in your browser?

#7 2017-10-06 09:44:10

Ben

Which file rendition are you looking at?  e.g. thumbnails, photos, photos-for-download.  What version of the Publisher LR plugin are you running?  The latest should be 3.2.2.

#8 2017-10-06 10:19:34

rsamco
Website

Yes, I cleared browser caches. But then when I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I also independently inspected individual ../<album>/photos/*.jpg images files that were published (i.e., directly on net, using various metadata viewers).

My TTG Publisher LR plugin is v3.2.2 (as reported by Lr plugin mgr.). My v1.2 testing sandbox was completely wiped clean and reinstalled from fresh TTG downloads earlier this week (so absolutely everything should be current).

I am at a loss on what to try (or inspect) next.

Rick

#9 2017-10-06 19:41:03

Ben

Thanks for confirming.  Have you checked that the file modification times have been updated after re-publishing?

#10 2017-10-07 06:09:42

rsamco
Website

Since I found published photos to both my BL 1.2 sandbox website (http://test.samcos.com/galleries/album-set/) and CE4 public website (http://rick.samcos.com/galleries/a-Favorites/) having geolocation info, it seems to me that the culprit is somewhere in my desktop Lr configuration. So, I performed the following tests on a separate laptop:

Re-downloaded BL 1.2.2 install zip and installed TTG Publisher plugin out of onto laptop, & verified that's it is v3.2.2.
Temporarily (re-)moved all other plugins out of my ../Lightroom/Modules directory.

Copied to the laptop my desktop's current Lr catalog.

Created & published new album (http://test.samcos.com/galleries/album- … sher-test/) to my BL sandbox website with "Include: Copyright & Contact Info Only" checked in TTG Publisher's  settings.

When album's photos are viewed thru BL, geolocation data is there. That is, the geolocation button in an image's share menu takes you to photo's location in google maps!!

I then used Friedl's  exif/iptc viewer to view metadata for one of the album's images, http://test.samcos.com/galleries/album- … 2_Edit.jpg , but metadata looks OK (e.g., no geolocation or camera info)!?!?!?!?

So, how/why does photo's geolocation show through BL's viewer????

Last edited by rsamco (2017-10-07 06:10:26)

Rick

#11 2017-10-07 06:18:57

charlie.choc
Website

I believe the 'metadata' used by BL is stored in the BL database, which is why you need to re upload files if you want different metadata items to be displayed. BL doesn't read it directly from the photos themselves.

#12 2017-10-07 06:24:38

rod barbee
Website

Created & published new album to my BL sandbox website with "Include: Copyright & Contact Info Only" checked in TTG Publisher's  settings.

Did you also check the Remove Person Info and Remove Location Info boxes?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2017-10-07 06:29:08

rsamco
Website

The Remove Person Info and Remove Location Info boxes are fixed/checked when "Include: Copyright & Contact Info Only" is chosen.

The photos published to the newly-created album were never before published to this BL website and therefore shouldn't have already been in it's database. And, as I already stated, these photos were uploaded with  "Include: Copyright & Contact Info Only" chosen.

Rick

#14 2017-10-07 06:59:39

rod barbee
Website

Well, I'm stumped. Looks like this is Ben's territory.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2017-10-07 08:03:41

Ben

I think I've worked it out.  The Metadata option in Lightroom pertains to the information embedded into the published JPEGs.  Can you confirm that you are seeing location metadata saved within the images themselves?  To see this you will need a tool that can view the image metadata.  I use the command line application 'exiv2' like this to view Exif metadata:

exiv2 -PE 20150706-0604.jpg

For an image with location info, the relevant entries look like this:

Exif.Image.GPSTag                            Long        1  736
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLatitudeRef                  Ascii       2  South
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLatitude                     Rational    3  36deg 50.71500' 
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLongitudeRef                 Ascii       2  East
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLongitude                    Rational    3  146deg 22.27380' 
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSAltitudeRef                  Byte        1  Above sea level
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSAltitude                     Rational    1  743.5 m
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSTimeStamp                    Rational    3  02:35:44.1
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSSpeedRef                     Ascii       2  km/h
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSSpeed                        Rational    1  0/1
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSImgDirectionRef              Ascii       2  True direction
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSImgDirection                 Rational    1  16367/181
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSDestBearingRef               Ascii       2  True direction
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSDestBearing                  Rational    1  48947/181
Exif.GPSInfo.GPSDateStamp                    Ascii      11  2015:07:06

Backlight also saves metadata, separately in the database in accordance with the template and album settings.  This is not controlled by Lightroom's Metadata controls.  For example, tokens such as {Title} used in captions.  When the Album's Enable Maps option is checked, the location information will be saved in the database.  If you want to hide location information for photos, then disable this feature for the album.

Does the above explain the behaviour you're seeing?

#16 2017-10-07 08:27:47

rsamco
Website

I already looked at publsihed jpg's metadata -- no GPSInfo entries there. I didn't know about album's "enable maps" option. Let me find that and try it out ... I can't find it in BL Designer's Album Settings ... where is it? Ah, found it (it's in Lr's Album Settings/Features, on a per-album basis). It was checked. Checked it off, republished, and geolocation button still shows photo's location! Republished again...still there. Tried different browser (i.e., guaranteed not in cache), geolocation still there.

Created new album, with brand new image...published it and geolocation button (therefore info) not there!

So (a) mostly a pilot error (didn't know about "enable maps" feature (assumed that Lr Publisher options controlled that). But (b) there is a bug -- once an image is published with geolocation info, it isn't cleared if album's "enable maps"feature is unset/cleared. It isn't even cleared when an image is republished after its album's "enable maps"feature is unchecked!

Rick

#17 2017-10-07 09:35:24

Ben

Let's not assume a bug until we're all on the same page.  What do you mean by 'geolocation'?  Specifically, where are you seeing the photo's location info?

Can you provide a URL of an album you think should not be showing location info?

#18 2017-10-07 09:43:41

rsamco
Website

http://test.samcos.com/galleries/album- … sher-test/ is an album that was created with "enable maps" checked and then republished after its "enable maps" unchecked. BL still is showing the album's photo locations (aka geolocation) when the "map icon" is clicked in BL viewer's "share" menu.

Rick

#19 2017-10-07 09:46:55

rsamco
Website

And http://test.samcos.com/galleries/album- … er-test-2/ is an album created (i.e., first published) with "enable maps" unchecked. BL Viewer "map" icon doesn't show for album's image (implying no geolocation info available).

Rick

#20 2017-10-07 09:53:18

Ben

Thanks for the links.  Interestingly, the first album shows that maps are still enabled: http://test.samcos.com/galleries/album- … test/?data  (named as 'enable_maps')

Can you try toggling that setting in the album settings, clicking the 'Edit' button to save the setting and refreshing the above link to see whether the setting change takes effect?

#21 2017-10-07 10:07:32

Ben

It's a lovely Spring day here, and we're heading out for the afternoon.  If the above steps don't resolve it, and you see no change in the 'enable_maps' setting on the above link, then can you zip up your ttg.log and email it to me, using the link in my signature?  This can be found in your Documents directory on your PC or Mac.

#22 2017-10-07 15:11:09

rsamco
Website

OK, I also see that maps are still enabled. In Lr's TTG Publisher it shows as enabled as well! I was sure that I disabled it. But I toggled it and another album's maps checkbox repeatedly and a ?data inquiry always returned the correct state. I must have screwed up (apparently I only tried it once and didn't commit the edit or ?).

OK, now to see if going from enabled to disabled turns off geolocation in BL's viewer ... I did a few "round trips" and everything seems to work correctly. And it appears that an album doesn't have to be republished in order for a change to take effect (nice!).

So sorry for my error ... so glad that I didn't keep you from enjoying a beautiful afternoon. We had a beautiful day today here in Oregon as well ... but Autumn, not Spring :-(

Rick

#23 2017-10-07 15:54:56

Matthew
Administrator
Website

charlie.choc wrote:

I believe the 'metadata' used by BL is stored in the BL database, which is why you need to re upload files if you want different metadata items to be displayed. BL doesn't read it directly from the photos themselves.

This is correct for any metadata that we use in the page (i.e. GPS, caption, title, anything assigned to appear in the grid or client response popup, etc.)

We do not use the photo's embedded metadata at any point in rendering Backlight's pages, albums, et al.

Further, Backlight doesn't not request, receive or commit to database any metadata other than what is specified for the to use, either via the template settings in Designer, or in some cases hard-coded by me (which I think is limited to getting GPS data for the maps feature).

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#24 2017-10-07 19:03:25

Ben

rsamco wrote:

So sorry for my error ... so glad that I didn't keep you from enjoying a beautiful afternoon. We had a beautiful day today here in Oregon as well ... but Autumn, not Spring :-(

No problem.  There are many moving parts to Backlight and many technical decisions made over the years with accumulated code that can make it hard to understand what's going on.

A lovely day here, with plenty of colourful birds as we walked along the river.  All was good till I got the family lost and we had to scramble up an escarpment, rendering me the worst dad ever apparently.  Fixed with ice cream sundaes.

#25 2017-10-07 20:31:40

alfred

:-) it can get worse Ben!
I went to Queensland in July together with our daughter for some Owl photography. My daughter decided to go to bed at 1 am calling us crazy when we headed out again in an attempt to track down a Red Boobook, which we had had just heard calling. Found the bird and got badly beaten up next morning for not forcing her out of bed, she is still angry with me … she is 28 this week, so some fun to come for you, I reckon! Ice-cream usually worked to calm down daughter in younger years, not anymore. :-)

Alfred

Last edited by alfred (2017-10-07 20:32:14)

Board footer