Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-26 19:56:03

Sven

Help needed - Unexpected error: unserialize()

Hello,

I've surprisingly received the following error on my homepage (www.sven-michael.com):

Unexpected error: unserialize(): Error at offset 0 of 19 bytes in favicon_48c993.ico(104) : eval()'d code on line 185

I didn't change anything, but might be Bluehost did?

Do you have an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Sven M.

#2 2017-08-26 20:09:40

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Help needed - Unexpected error: unserialize()

Have you actually set a favicon for the template via settings?

If so, remove it. Does the error still occur?

And if so, then try a PNG version of the icon, and again, does the error still occur?

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-08-26 20:41:24

Sven

Hi,

yes I have a favicon set via settings.
Tried to remove it and save the template, got the massage

Unable to save settings:
Unexpected error: unserialize(): Error at offset 0 of 19 bytes in favicon_48c993.ico(104) : eval()'d code on line 185

Deleted the png file but still same error when trying to save the template.
Sven M

#4 2017-08-27 03:07:48

Sven

A fresh install of Backlight 1.2.2 + Release 2 fixed it...

#5 2017-08-27 03:20:56

Sven

Too early, error is still there (but doesn't crash the entire side anymore).
Deactivated favicon in all templates, but it still appears randomly on single pages (incl. crashing the entire page).
Any idea how to solve?

#6 2017-08-27 03:37:03

rod barbee
Website

I just looked at your site. The error message is certainly inconsistent. I can click around to all your pages with no error messages, but then I'll click back to, say, the home page, and I see the red error message. Click to another page with no error and then back to the home page, also no error.
Then I'll click on another single page, like "about" and instead of the red error message, I get a white page with the error. I go back in the browser to the previous page and click on "about" again and all is fine.

Intermittent problems are always tough. My guess is that Ben will need to look at the back end and will probably need Backlight admin and perhaps ftp access.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2017-08-27 12:21:57

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Odd. I clicked around your entire site without issue just now, until I got the the Contact page and had the error then. I think Ben will need to have a look.

Apart from that, though, I love what you're doing with the site. It looks fantastic.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2017-08-27 14:37:26

Ben

This doesn't look like a Backlight error.  None of our code uses the eval() function.  It's likely something else that your server or host is trying to run.

We have a config item that may help hide errors like this.  To use it, rename the file backlight/env.php.skel to env.php and enable the line for SUPPRESS_STARTUP_ERRORS near the top by removing the leading //, so that it looks like:

define('SUPPRESS_STARTUP_ERRORS', true);

#9 2017-08-27 16:59:57

Sven

Tried the fix and it becomes even more wired
Firefox: fixed
Safari & Chrome: still there (I think the error occurs always on the third page opened and from then onwards on all following pages, also happens when reloading the home page twice)
Error message also back on the backlight admin, resulting in that I cannot save templates anymore

#10 2017-08-27 19:11:23

Ben

Hi Sven, this is really strange.  Can you provide me with FTP access via my email address below, so that I can look into this?

#11 2017-08-27 21:08:17

Ben

Hi Sven, thanks for the access.  I have found that your site has been hacked, and your files altered.   It's most likely that the hack came via a Wordpress vulnerability. 
I've cleaned up your Backlight files, so that this should no longer be any issue within Backlight.  I have found that your Wordpress site is also affected and have fixed a single file, blog/index.php.

Wordpress can be difficult to clean up.  I suggest doing the following:

1. Install the free Wordfence Wordpress plugin and run a scan on your Wordpress site to find files that have been altered and additional files that should not be there.
2. Make sure that Wordpress is updated to the latest version
3. Disable or remove any WP plugins that you do not use
4. Update your WP, FTP and other site passwords

Others here may be able to provide other tips on cleaning up a WP install.  I'm happy to help with advice along the way with anything you find with the above steps.

Further info on the hack:

* All of the index.php files within the top one or two levels had been altered to include an obfuscated line of PHP.  I've removed all of these lines within backlight and your galleries, bar the ones directly under the top of your site and under blog/, which I've commented-out so you can see it.

* The line loads a "favicon.ico" file backlight/data/designer, which is in fact a file with a bunch of obfuscated PHP.  I've had a look at the unobfuscated code, and can't tell what it's trying to do.  Whatever it does, it's of no benefit to you.  I've left the files under data/designer/facicon, renamed with "_renamed" at the end.  I've emptied the original file, so that if there are other parts of your site calling it, nothing will happen.

#12 2017-08-28 01:53:11

Sven

Hi Ben,
many many thanks!!!
Couldn't have solved it without you.
Still working through your clean up actions and have invested into further protection add-ons... hope they will pay off.
One further question: Is it normal that the url links for the backlight pages are no longer working?
Cheers
Sven M

#13 2017-08-28 04:40:51

rod barbee
Website

Your site links are all working fine for me. Have you tried clearing browser cache?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#14 2017-08-28 06:34:42

Ben

No worries, Sven.  I'm glad to have been able to help.

It looks like your .htaccess file has been replaced with a default file.  Links such as http://www.sven-michael.com/about.html and http://www.sven-michael.com/about/ require our .htaccess file in place.  It would be best to edit the current file so that it contains both the current contents plus the contents of the .htaccess file found in the Backlight zip.

Board footer