Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-01 05:01:37

eimages
Website

godaddy cpanel

Testing the waters with GoDaddy cPanel hosting. Running Backlight on that setup yields "Backlight requires the PDO, SQLite and XML modules". Does anybody here have any experience with setting that up on GoDaddy? I just got this new hosting and figure I have to enable a few things. Thought I'd ask in this forum, before hitting up GoDaddy tech support.

#2 2017-01-01 10:58:52

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: godaddy cpanel

Hi,

These are fairly standard modules, and available with the majority of hosts. GoDaddy for some reason is always a bit of a headache. You should contact your host to enable these modules. The other thing to watch out for on GoDaddy is your PHP upload limit, which is sometimes set too low by default. But wait and see whether that's a problem once you start publishing albums.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-01-01 12:02:03

Ben

GoDaddy also has an over-zealous DOS detector, which trips up Publisher. If you're not already well established with their hosting I would recommend using another host.

#4 2017-01-03 04:16:13

eimages
Website

Thanks for the observations, Matt and Ben. Yeah, I've already run into that DOS issue. It's a pain. Maybe I can get them to toggle that down while I have them on the horn. We shall see.

#5 2017-01-03 07:01:05

eimages
Website

This issue has been resolved. For anybody else researching this, here is the solution: Go to your Go Daddy hosting admin console. Go to Software -> Select PHP Version. Make sure that all the PDO modules are checked (enabled). pdo, pdo_dblib, pdo_firebird, pdo_mysql, pdo_odbc, pdo_pgsql, pdo_sqlite. After enabling these, I was still getting the error. So the Go Daddy tech rebooted the PHP service and that solved the problem. Case closed.

#6 2017-08-11 00:50:29

BobSmith

Just to be clear... when you say "solved"... are you talking about the "connection lost" errors with Publisher or are you talking about PDO related issues (not sure what that might be).  I'm running 5.6 with GoDaddy's default PDO modules turned on.  Backlight seems to work fine but Publisher gets blocked after loading maybe ten images.  I have to wait a minute then "Publish" again for maybe ten to twenty more images.  Kind of a pain when putting up a proof gallery of about 400 images.  I assumed that was some sort of DOS detection issue but hadn't confirmed it.  Glad to hear Ben mention it.  I would LOVE to hear that you fixed that by turning all of the PDO modules on and having GoDaddy restart PHP.

Thanks!

Bob Smith

#7 2017-08-20 11:16:23

dennis

Hello.

I know there has been a lot regarding GoDaddy.  I am curious if anyone has solved the upload of more than 25 images without getting the error  "Error uploading rendition".  Here is my scenario and different things I tried:
- Godaddy
- cpanel
- enabled all PDO modules as mentioned above
- bumped up the PHP memory, upload size, time, etc. as mentioned in other posts for php.ini
- also created a php.ini, but no change.
- restarted all php processes

I called Godaddy support three times.  They made "adjustments" the first two times.  The last time they said they see my resources (memory) exceeding my account limit of 512M and the I/O exceeding my account limit of 1Mbps.  They said the process shuts down, hence the error.  They said there is nothing they can do but increase my resources (charge me more) and they said that may not solve the problem.  They clearly believe it is not their issue.

I know as of two years ago I used CE4 and godaddy without any upload challenges.  I see folks don't have the problem at all with Bluehost, but unfortunately it will not be easy for me to transfer things.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Everything else seems to work great.  I really like Backlight.

My basic site is www.bigphotoguy.com

Thanks.
Dennis.

#8 2017-08-20 14:59:15

rod barbee
Website

have you searched the forum for more on this topic? I think some have solved it. I don't recall what they did off the top of my head.

I switched from GoDaddy to Bluehost several years ago. The transfer was painless.
https://hostingpill.com/godaddy-to-bluehost/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#9 2017-08-20 20:14:31

dennis

Hi Rod.
Yes.  There are post over the past few years regarding the challenge.  Many roads lead to the php.ini, but I am not clear if that has been the root cause and if that has fixed it.  I have been unable to piece together a consistent recipe, but it is likely I missed it too.    I tried the php.ini with different variations.   This thread looked promising.  I am hopeful.

Thanks for the link on bluehost.  I am hopeful that I don't have to move.

Thanks for the quick response.
Dennis.

#10 2017-08-20 20:34:49

Ben

Hi Dennis, this has been an ongoing problem at GoDaddy for close to a decade.  GoDaddy's hosts have a security mechanism that detects denial-of-service attacks and blocks access for 60 seconds to any client that it thinks is attempting to flood their servers.  Lightroom plugins such as our Publisher triggers this mechanism. 
Some users have had luck by having GoDaddy upgrade their sites to a newer version of cPanel.  Some on dedicated virtual machines have been able to have their mod_security rules changed so that the mechanism isn't triggered.  We're not well versed in the variations of servers and setups that GoDaddy provide, and haven't found any universal advice to get around this problem.
In any case, this really is squarely in GoDaddy's court.  They have provided a mechanism that is wrongly blocking legitimate use of their servers.

#11 2017-08-20 21:10:03

dennis

Hi Ben.
Ok.  That was what I suspected.  I reached a point that I felt like I had "tried everything" so I reached out.  During my last call to Godaddy, I mentioned that folks suspected it was triggering a denial of service attack.  They claim it is not at all related based on what they were seeing with the resource limits exceeding my account limits and I am not interested in buying more resources.

Anyway, thanks for very quick reply!!  Looks like Godaddy is not an option for me and Backlight so I will look at moving.

Take care.
Dennis.

#12 2017-08-20 21:42:26

BobSmith

I switched to a VPS with GoDaddy and haven't seen the issue since.  My talks with their support indicated that there was little I could do on a shared hosting plan.  Because I specifically referenced this issue, they waived their usual rule of not refunding paid services if you've been using them for more than thirty days.  I was maybe four months in to a two year shared hosting plan agreement.  The cost and hassle to switch to VPS was minimal.  The VPS does give substantial control over mod_sec but I'm not really using that.  I just loaded the default settings for most everything and have had no problems with gallery uploads.  I have nothing but kudos for GoDaddy's excellent support over the years.  That's the main reason that I didn't just pack up and look for a different host.  If I was hosting a single site just for myself... yes I probably would have just switched hosts but my hosting needs are more complex than that and their support is very valuable to me.

For what its worth most of my large galleries are still CE-3.  I'm just starting to move things to Backlight.  I was seeing the same issues with both regarding uploaded galleries to a GoDaddy hosted site.  Once switched to VPS, I uploaded a 400 image CE-3 gallery to Godaddy without the slightest hitch.

Bob Smith

#13 2017-08-20 22:27:50

dennis

Hi Bob.
This is helpful. 

I have a very similar situation and experience with Godaddy.  I was using CE4 and Godaddy with no issues on uploading a couple of hundred images at a time.  The one unknown is that I haven't uploaded to that site in a couple of years, so I assumed things might have changed on Godaddy side.  I am now bringing on a new site with Backlight.

The support person said to add resources would require me to switch plans, which now I guess was probably going to the VPS approach.  He was not reassuring it would work given what he was seeing. 

It is helpful to know it solved the problem, which so far is a first from what I gleaned in my research.  I will give the support team another call and to look at the VPS option for me.

Thanks Bob.
Dennis.

#14 2017-08-20 23:37:03

BobSmith

A little background... I've self hosted my site and sites for a handful of others for years using my own servers running in my studio.  Never a glitch with my TTG site in that setup.  I'm in the process of trying to shut down the services in my studio and migrate them to a "real" host elsewhere.  That's where GoDaddy comes in for me.  I will save a substantial amount of money and even more important... reduce gobs of stress by not having to constantly worry about the state of the servers in my closet... especially when I'm traveling half way around the world.  Except for this glitch with Publisher uploads, the move to GoDaddy hardware has gone very smoothly.

Know that when you move to VPS, unless you pay gobs more cash for a "fully managed" VPS then you're mostly responsible for running it and setting it up yourself.  GoDaddy's support will be as helpful as always with cPanel issues and such but they are of very minimal help with setup and running the VPS.  I have a "Managed" VPS as opposed to "Fully Managed".  That means GoDaddy monitors the server hardware... does a few routine upgrades... and generally makes sure that it stays online but the nuts and bolts of configuring server level controls outside of cPanel is still up to you.  I have zero experience with Linux servers and cPanel but years of wrangling various MacOS servers so I know the concepts... what I'm trying to do... just not always exactly how on a Linux  system.  I'm fighting through it.  Just know what you're facing if you go down this road.  One GoDaddy support person seemed to indicate that I might be able to get a sort of "pay per event" type of support.  I'd be fine with that.  I can mostly keep things humming just fine once initially configured.  My issues are related to setup of secondary sites.  The main one with TTG components was and is working just fine.  I think many of my problems started by importing existing cPanel sites on setup of the VPS.  I should have just started from scratch and manually set everything up.  The first GoDaddy support person that suggested VPS told me that's how I would have to set it up.  The second... "just click that import button.  It will auto configure". It did pretty well for the main site... not the secondary ones.  I'm currently backing everything up and am about the nuke the server and start over now that I have a bit more knowledge of how all of this works.

Good Luck...

Bob

#15 2017-08-21 07:30:44

Ben

I disagree with your assessment of GoDaddy’s support. Our users have been given a complete runaround on this issue, and being forced to a more expensive plan to make legitimate use of their server is woeful. This has been an issue for at least a decade affecting many here and users of other LR plugins such as Gallery.

I have had other poor experiences with GoDaddy and would never recommend them.

#16 2017-08-21 15:23:51

Matthew
Administrator
Website

And to further backup Ben's points, you're talking about having to upgrade to a more expensive VPS hosting plan, to do what works just fine on inexpensive, shared hosting plans elsewhere (i.e. Bluehost, HostGator, InMotion, etc.). Backlight is designed with such services in mind, in fact.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer