Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-15 04:03:47

coyotepixel
Website

Migrating to a new computer

I have been uploading photos to my brother's website from my computer. I have all his photos on an external hard drive linked to my Lightroom. He wants to take over managing his site so I have to migrate everything over to his computer and Lightroom.

I suppose there is no easy way to do this. Can anyone list the steps necessary for this migration or will I have to start over from scratch?

Thanks,

jim

Last edited by coyotepixel (2017-08-15 04:04:24)

#2 2017-08-15 05:27:08

markh
Website

Re: Migrating to a new computer

The photos in LR are probably the easy part. In LR select all your brother's photos and click file> export as catalog. You could put that exported catalog folder on your desktop. It will contain the .lrcat file a folder or folders of the pictures and a previews lrdata file if you use previews. It could be a big folder depending on number of pictures. Then copy the exported catalog folder from your desktop to brother's PC. There he would start LR and import the catalog directing the imported images to wherever they need to go. As for published albums and publisher instances, I think you'll have to recreate those.
Mark

#3 2017-08-15 06:05:59

Daniel Leu
Website

I would start like Mark with exporting your brother's images. Then I would try a different approach: duplicate your existing catalog and open it, then remove everything but your brother's images and publishing service(s). At the end update the image folder location. This way you should be able to preserve the Publisher services and existing albums. But if you have only a few albums, Mark's approach might be the fastest.

And before starting, make a backup of _everything_ just in case a wrong click on something needs to be reversed.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#4 2017-08-15 09:55:02

coyotepixel
Website

Thanks, all. It may take me a week to get to it, but I'll let you know how it went!

jim

#5 2017-08-15 18:54:11

markh
Website

Hey Daniel, that's an inspired approach. I'm assimilating your method into my collective experience of the world.
Mark
(resistance is futile)

#6 2018-05-23 06:01:04

Panagon
Website

I am migrating to a new DT computer. I think I have a handle on how to migrate LR and PS data/image files. I am running Backlight (without Worpress) and would like to know if there are any Backlight specific files that need to be migrated?

#7 2018-05-23 06:11:52

rod barbee
Website

No Backlight files for your site reside on your computer (other than your order downloads, of course). The only thing you need for your site is your Lightroom catalog

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer