Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-17 20:47:15

markh
Website

Music kills the gallery display

Before everyone goes all sling-blade on me about how music is taboo on a website, know this: of the folks who leave comments on my sites those in favor of music in photo albums outnumber those opposed by about 2 to 1. That being said, here's the problem. I have a small bit of code that inserts a music controller on a page wherever I put the code. Before the Pangolin updates this code worked flawlessly. An example of the player in the left pallet on an Okapi template is here: http://photophart.com/gallery/sometimes-you-get-wet/
In a pangolin based gallery template that exact same player kills the display of the images in the gallery such as here: http://photophart.com/gallery/g-train/
I have tried putting the code for the player in various places using both phpplugins and code in content areas. In all cases I can make the player appear where I want and it works fine but any albums on the page with the player disappear although space for them on the page is reserved as evidenced by the length of the page. The phpplugins locations I've tried are ttg_album_top, ttg_album_bottom. Code in content areas I've tried are done from within LR in both page-content>page-copy and page-content>tray-one-copy. I've cleared template cache and browser cache repeatedly and republished all the images several times.
I'm not keen on giving up an album feature that my site visitors seem to like and can continue to use Okapi templates for that, but, I really like the look of the new pangolin justified albums and am motivated to use them on the site.
Regards Mark

#2 2017-07-17 23:55:35

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Music kills the gallery display

Please consider that maybe not everyone who doesn't like the music posts a comment.... Some of your visitors might just move on and leave your site. I definitely belong into this category.

The code you are using requires Flash. At least, I would use the html5 <audio> feature: https://www.quackit.com/html/codes/html … _codes.cfm

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2017-07-18 05:12:20

markh
Website

Daniel the code I'm using checks for the existence of later generation flash if it doesn't find it it falls through to HTML5. Trying to cover all the bases as far as user's systems go. Thanks for the link will take a look.
Having a player widget prominently placed on screen allows users to stop the music with a single click. A necessity as some folks hate music. The subject seems to be a bit like anchovies on pizza: love/hate, with no middle ground at all.
Regards Mark

#4 2017-07-18 06:34:23

Daniel Leu
Website

Hi Mark,

In 2017, a website shouldn't use flash anymore but should use standards like HTML5. To me, to use HTML5 as a backup when flash is not available is a strange behavior. Why use a new technology only if the old one is not available.... very strange.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2017-07-18 08:29:24

markh
Website

Point taken.

#6 2017-07-18 11:50:00

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I'm also firmly in the camp against putting music on pages, but if you're going to do it, then I also second Daniel's point on HTML5 vs. Flash. I haven't tried this, but this is the player I'd start with:
https://521dimensions.com/open-source/amplitudejs

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2017-07-18 12:27:13

markh
Website

All well and good but everyone's missing the point. This was never meant to be a discussion on the philosophy of web design. I was merely pointing out that a wonderful part of TTG products, namely phpplugins, which I've used over the years for all sorts of cool stuff, in this case does not work. It struck me as odd that phpplugins worked fine with this bit of code right up until the pangolin improvements when it abruptly stopped working. Seemed like there might be something amiss with the hooks in pangolin since that's when the problem started. Just sayin'.

#8 2017-07-18 12:54:10

rod barbee
Website

Most likely a JavaScript conflict between your music code and current Pangolin code (I don't know what). Phplugins is still doing it's thing: inserting content into the page.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#9 2017-07-18 13:19:05

Ben

I can't see any reference to the music player on either page under Safari, Firefox or Safari.  Where should I be seeing the code?

#10 2017-07-18 14:27:56

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Like I said, I'm against it, but if you want to do it, then you should probably look into a more modern player, like I suggested. When I looked -- like Ben -- I did not see any reference to your old code in the pages, so there's nothing to troubleshoot. There's also nothing in the pangolin framework that should directly conflict with any such thing. Regardless, you can't go wrong looking into players that drop the outdated Flash implementation.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#11 2017-07-18 20:43:10

markh
Website

Sorry guys, you didn't see the code anymore because it's not there. I'm going at this from a different direction. Site is changing by the minute. Always more than one way to skin a cat (what kind of a saying is that? really! who skins cats? that's just creepy).

#12 2017-07-18 20:58:53

Ben

Okay. That makes it hard to provide advice.

Board footer