Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-13 23:24:01

charking
Website

Duplicate thumbnails

I used my original file names from the camera when I first published my galleries. Later, when I renamed the files and republished, I noticed that a new set of thumbnails were created with the new names, leaving the originally-named thumbnails in place. I don't know if this is a Lightroom Publish problem or a Backlight one or one I created in my setup. The duplicates did not appear to affect the performance of my website, and I simply used FileZilla to delete the original unnecessary thumbnails. Any comments or suggestions?

#2 2017-07-13 23:50:07

rod barbee
Website

Re: Duplicate thumbnails

The third option wink

In the future, if you publish images and then decide to change their names, delete them from the album in Lightroom first. After that, add the newly renamed images and republish the album.
The Backlight database probably thinks those original images are still part of the albums. I don't know if that will hurt anything or not. If the albums seems to be working fine you might as well leave well enough alone.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-07-14 00:17:50

charking
Website

Somehow my post was duplicated and I have two similar answers. (I'm using a new mouse that seems super sensitive.)

I agree that both similar responses will work. The interesting thing, however, is that the photos folder contains only the renamed files; the duplication occurs only in the thumbnails folder which implies an issue somewhere in the software.

#4 2017-07-14 00:46:20

rod barbee
Website

Might be something for Matt and Ben to look into then.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-07-14 01:14:46

charking
Website

Although I haven't tried it, I imagine that deleting, renaming, and then republishing the image files will work. It's an easy procedure. The issue I'm raising could be in Lightroom, not Backlight. Even if it is in Backlight, unless an easy find and fix, it may not be worth the trouble.

It would be best, however, to have a regular collection duplicating the collection to be published and do the renaming there. I did my original renaming in the TTG Publisher collection.

By the way, I've changed my mouse.

Last edited by charking (2017-07-14 01:15:54)

#6 2017-07-14 01:18:12

charlie.choc
Website

I just tried renaming a single file in Lightroom and then republished it. I ended up with two thumbnails in the folder as well. The old thumbnail doesn't show in the gallery, though.

Last edited by charlie.choc (2017-07-14 01:19:46)

#7 2017-07-14 01:29:06

charking
Website

Your experience is the same as mine, Charlie. I had a lot more duplicates of course, because I was doing a major renaming across several galleries. My duplicate thumbnails didn't show up on the web either, only when I downloaded the entire website as a backup.

I don't see it as a major problem, just a glitch with an easy workaround as you and Rod suggested.

Last edited by charking (2017-07-14 09:08:06)

#8 2017-07-14 06:42:50

Ben

It's most likely not being handled properly in the backend Publisher component of Backlight. I'll look into it.

#9 2017-07-14 08:06:07

Ben

I've found the problem and put a fix in our working code.  This was a logic error:

In the explanation below there are two meanings for photo: The Photo, being an item in an album, and the 'photo' rendition, being one of the renditions for the Photo, with other renditions being 'thumbnails' and optional renditions, such as 'photos-for-download'.  The filenames are saved in the database per Photo and not per rendition.

1. Publisher sends new 'photo' rendition
2. The old filename is fetched from the database for the Photo that the 'photo' rendition belongs to
3. If the old filename differs from the new filename, then delete the old photo/filename.jpg
4. Update the Photo record with the new filename

5. Publisher sends new 'thumbnail' rendition (or any other subsequent renditions, such as photos-for-download)
6. The old filename is fetched from the database for the Photo that the 'thumbnail' rendition belongs to.  This is the filename as saved in step 4, above.
7. If the old filename differs from the new filename, then delete the old photo/filename.jpg. 
--> It won't differ, because the filename had already been updated in step 4, above

The fix is to perform steps 1 to 4 above, but instead of just deleting the photo/filename.jpg, to fetch the full list of associated renditions and delete the files on disk for all renditions at that point.

This will be in the next maintenance update.  It won't work retrospectively on the thumbnails still on disk that should have been removed.

#10 2017-07-14 09:12:26

charking
Website

Very good, Ben. That was really fast. Thank you very much. smile

Board footer