Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-11 23:20:05

FrankS

Issue with 1and1 as host for Backlight

Hello.  I recently purchased Backlight after long being a user of (an outdated version of) TTG Pages.  I have looked on the forum and had no luck finding anything on my subject issue. Wondering if there are special instructions for using 1and1 as a host for Backlight.  I can see the Backlight and Galleries folders on my site (via my host site), but the logon for mydomain/backlight is not working, so I can't get to the Quick Settings page/step!  As noted in the install instructions, I've tried modifying the write access settings for the /Backlight/data and /Galleries folders (to 755 then 777) and that has not worked.  Since I see the folders, I'm assuming the FTP upload worked OK, so the issue must have something to do with the host settings.  It was suggested I might be running an incompatible PHP version, but I'm not very knowledgeable with these kinds of details, so I hope it's got a simple fix.  I'm sure it's just me not doing something obvious.

This is the error message I get back:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/13/d358520008/htdocs/backlight/framework/Framework.php on line 5

Thanks for any help.
Frank S

#2 2017-07-11 23:22:15

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Issue with 1and1 as host for Backlight

Hi Frank,

Can you please supply us a link to your website?

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-07-11 23:29:50

FrankS

oops:
frankaspasarophotography.com

#4 2017-07-11 23:40:38

Daniel Leu
Website

Hi Frank, you might be running an old version of PHP. Which version are you using? This should be visible in the admin portal.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2017-07-11 23:50:59

rod barbee
Website

Hi Frank,

According to Wappalyzer, you're using php version 4.4.9. That won't do. Contact your hosting and ask them to update your php version.
Backlight requires php version 5.2.6 or newer. And newer would be better (If I remember, there may be problems with versions as old as 5.2.6 as well)

you may be able to do this yourself by logging into your your hosting accounts c-panel and looking for PHP

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2017-07-12 00:19:04

FrankS

Problem solved.  Using Matthew's comment on PHP, I finally figured out on my host site that I was using an old version of PHP.  Not simple to figure out and find, but once I updated to the proper/current version, I am now able to log-in.  thanks

#7 2017-07-12 00:41:09

rod barbee
Website

great to hear!

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer