Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-11 19:28:30

Aisling

Low resolution digital downloads

Hi Guys,

I have just upgraded my website from CE4 to Backlight.  Its a great system and much easier to make changes than working through Lightroom's web module - thanks a million! 

I have a problem that it actually works too well!  I do event photography so many people want the low resolution digital images to put up on Facebook etc.  I have it set up so I can sell low res digital images and high res (Thanks Rod for how to set it up!), the low res image is through Publisher and the high res I upload after purchase.  The problem I have is the low res digital image is still such good quality that it will print (I have only tested at 6x4) fairly clearly.  I have tried reducing the image settings from 960 to 720 under image settings in both the album template and cart settings.  Is there a way to set the resolution at 72dpi so it looks sharp on screen but they can't print it ?  I really want to be able to upload directly from Publisher rather than having to export in LR with a set resolution and then upload manually.

I don't know if what I'm asking is even possible so any help would be appreciated - basically I need an image that will show clearly on screen but they can't print (72dpi rather than 300dpi?)!

Thanks again for a great product!

Aisling.

#2 2017-06-11 19:47:10

rod barbee
Website

Re: Low resolution digital downloads

resolution doesn't matter, only the pixel dimensions. if the image is 960 pixels, it will show on screen at approx 10" (this depends on the monitor resolution of the viewer's monitor, but 96 ppi is common), and at about 3.2" when printed at 300 dpi, or 4" ad 240 dpi.

if you want the low resolution download to be of insufficient resolution for printing, try something lower than 720 ppi. Don't forget that you'll need to republish the images after changing the template settings.
(Make sure that in Publisher settings in Lightroom, that the "push metadata without updating existing photos" is not checked)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-06-11 19:59:51

Aisling

Thanks Rod for such a quick reply.  If I lower the 'photos for purchase' down to 640px will this still be sufficient to show clearly on Facebook news feed (my understanding is 720 or 960 is recommended)?.  If I go lower than 640px it goes red - it this because it is not recommended or it won't work?

Thanks again, Aisling.

#4 2017-06-11 20:05:35

rod barbee
Website

probably because it won't look that great on the web. Ben may have a way of overriding this. Or you could watermark those low-res images so no one would want to print them, or just don't worry about it (640 is pretty small for printing).

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2017-06-11 20:12:54

Aisling

I think I'll go with the reduce to 640 and don't worry about it!!  Thanks a mill!

#6 2017-06-12 14:50:32

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Here's an article I wrote some years back relevant to the topic at hand:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/2012/02/2 … ith-truth/

I think watermarking the images would be your best move. Exporting small images seems like a fine idea, but they're going to look abysmal on high-density displays (i.e. Apple's "Retina" displays and the like), which at this point is the majority of displays: phones, tablets, laptops, etc. 640-pixels is too small even for phones, IMO.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2017-09-27 00:57:02

FrankS

Sorry for coming into this conversation late, but I just found this string as I was researching how to better protect my images on Backlight.  This chain was very helpful, thank you, but I have to say that I am still a bit perplexed.  I’ll stop worrying about ppi vs dpi, but printing from these files is not my main issue: as currently configured, it is too easy to ‘right-click’ and download my images for digital use.  I’m still trying to learn all this stuff, so perhaps I’m missing an obvious solution, but as I read this chain it seems the answer is “watermark it.”  I’m hoping for something a bit simpler.  I’m forced to use watermarks at the moment, because I don’t know what else to do, but I hate how watermarks ruin the presentation of my images.  Hate it.  I’ve seen other sites where the “right-click” feature is fully disabled—why can’t that be the answer here for Backlight, too?  Then ppi, dpi, screen size, image size, et.al. issues don’t need to be considered with how to then implement an effective watermarking effort.  My ideal solution would be to have a simple checkbox in one the Designer Templates that enables/disables the feature (if there is already such an option, please help, and sorry for not finding it on my own).  It would save a ton of steps. 

Thanks
Frank Spasaro
www.frankaspasarophotography.com

#8 2017-09-27 01:26:47

rod barbee
Website

right click disable: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ntext_menu

but it's not really an answer as it's easy for anyone really wanting the image to get it.

you'll need to use a different hook than outlined in the docs, as that was written for CE4. For Backlight, you can try using the ttg_scripts or the ttg_main_bottom hook. The scripts hook is probably the best one to use.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2017-09-27 12:29:14

FrankS

Thanks for the response.  Well, yes, I know it'd still be easy but I was hoping to make it a little bit harder. 

I'll now go research the scripts hook......

thx
Frank

#10 2017-09-27 15:09:28

Matthew
Administrator
Website

For me, using Safari with Developer menu enabled, it's as easy as going to the menu and clicking on "Disable Javascript". Two clicks. Seriously, setting up the script is pointless.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#11 2017-09-28 00:16:30

FrankS

that seems a great solution for Mac users.  I use a PC.  I'm also just a simple photographer, not a web developer, so "easy" is in the eyes of the beholder.  I realize (now) that Backlight is better utilized by folks who do know such things, which is a bummer for me because I seem to be able to only scratch the surface of its otherwise seemingly endless capabilities.  Yes, the user forum has been helpful, but unfortunately, I just don't have the time to develop developer skills.

I couldn't find anything on scripts anyway (likely proving my point above), so the effort defaulted to pointless anyway.

#12 2017-09-28 03:05:06

rod barbee
Website

what Matt is saying, is that he can visit a site that uses that script and disable javascript in the browser, giving him access to those images. One can do the same in any browser. The point is that there is no point to using the script. It will stop casual users who wouldn't do anything with your image other than maybe use it for personal wallpaper. It won't stop anyone who wants to use your image to make money off of it.

You don't need developer skills to use Backlight. If you want to use the disabling script, it's pretty easy to do and and we can walk you through it if using phplugins seems too daunting.

There are many, many users that have created Backlight sites with no customizing via phplugins or custom css at all.

If you're still interested in trying, info on using phplugins is in the docs here: http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _phplugins

in the backlight/custom/phplugins/ folder contains a few sample files. Each contains a list of all the hooks and sample functions.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2017-09-28 05:06:18

charlie.choc
Website

You can also use image searches like TinEye to search the web for other online versions of your images and then contact the person who has published them if you think they are making money off your work. Sadly many people thing any image they find online is public domain and some even go so far as to try and remove watermarks. sad In most of the cases when I have done this the image has been taken down.

#14 2017-09-28 07:11:19

FrankS

Rod, yes, I misunderstood Matt, but that just shows how little I know. If the script will stop the casual user, then that works for me; I realize this will have no impact on those that start with more devious intentions.  I do not understand the phplugins, so if you can point me to some instructions, I would very much appreciate it.

Charlie, thanks for the suggestion! 

Thanks!! Frank

#15 2017-09-28 07:42:13

rod barbee
Website

take a look at the link I posted in my last response above.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2017-09-28 12:35:41

FrankS

Thanks, i'll give it a try.

Board footer