Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-03 12:01:22

kevin
Website

Site seems inordinately SLOW

I am rebulding my site using Backlight... The experience has been great....   Backlight is certainly better than CE3 and CE4.   I had a test site that was running not too bad...(needed some improvements).  So I ripped my exiting site down and started over with Backlight.  I got the first couple of galleries up and all was well.  Loaded another gallery set up and then the site had problems loading...   Both the Home Page and galleries are slow.   
Before I completely rip the site down and start over, I am asking for some advice as how to proceed?

Could you Matt, Rod or Ben take a look and tell me what you think?

Most of the galleries are protected...not comfortable sending my admin creds through the forum.

Thanks

Kevin

I guess you need the url

http://www.pkgphoto.ca

Last edited by kevin (2017-05-03 12:07:13)

#2 2017-05-03 15:29:33

Ben

Re: Site seems inordinately SLOW

Hi Kevin,  I can see that your site is very slow.  Who are you hosting with?  Are you using any kind of accelerator or caching service provided by your host?  Do you have other non-Backlight pages on the server that you can compare against?

There's not much I can tell from the browser.  The page seems to run well once it actually loads, with typical time spent on accessing the database and generating the pages.

#3 2017-05-07 07:31:22

kevin
Website

Thanks for looking at this Ben     
I took the site down ......   I cleaned the public folder out completely.
Reloaded a basic site... with a Theater gallery on the Home page.
Acouple of small galleries in the galleries folder.

I talked to the Hosting company a they could not see any problems with the site.
Talked to the internet provider and they suggested not problems either.
Tested my internet speed connection... download is 6.0 Mbps      upload is 0.64 Mbps   Latency is 24 ms

MY SITE STILL SEEMS SLOW....

Is there anything else that I can do from this end?

I have considered going back to CE4 but I would have to reinstall and rebuild from scratch!

#4 2017-05-07 08:28:32

rod barbee
Website

Your site certainly is slow, not really typical of a Backlight site. I've got pretty robust test site with lots of pages and test albums and it's pretty quick: http://backlight-rb-test.barbeephoto.com/

I'll just reiterate what Ben asked, that might help him narrow things down: who are you hosting with? Do you have other non-Backlight pages to compare with? Does your host provide caching or acceleration services?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-05-07 09:14:48

kevin
Website

Yeah    sorry I did not answer those questions....

The host is BELL HOSTING
I have no other Non-backlight pages loadedat this time... Thinking I should reload CE4 pages.
No... the host does not use any caching or acceleration service.   I least that is what i was  told.

Ben was right,  once the page has loaded the speed is fine... Its just loading the pages that takes the time.

Rod, i have looked at your test site and it loads amazingly fast.

I have looked at my site from outside my network, and it is still slow.

#6 2017-05-07 14:05:26

kevin
Website

I ripped the site down again and started over with CE4.    Speed is much faster with CE4

checkit out    http://www.pkgphoto.ca/TEST

I am going to try to publish a backght gallery and have CE4 link to it.   wish me luck!!!

Can CE4 and backlight coexist on the same installation of Lightroom?

#7 2017-05-07 14:13:40

rod barbee
Website

Yes, they can share the Publisher plug-in. In fact, the Backlight version will take over, managing both Backlight and CE4 albums

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2017-05-07 14:51:02

Ben

Hi Kevin, can you provide me with an ftp login via the Email link under my name so that I can try and determine where the performance issue is?

FYI, I had looked at your site while appending ?performance&skipCache to the URL. The timings displayed are normal, which indicated to me that the delay was related to the network, occurring either before your site receives the page request or after fulfilling it.

#9 2017-05-08 01:57:11

kevin
Website

Rod      I could not get Backlight and CE4 to coexist.    I am thinking it may be that I have Backlight+Pages.  I tried to get BL pages out of the way but ran into some difficulties trying to see the various galleries.

BTW  CE4 runs fine      pages load very quickly...  Backlight is still problematic!

Hi Ben    I have reloaded Backlight with just a single gallery.  I will email FTP info momentarily.

#10 2017-05-08 03:14:27

rod barbee
Website

Backlight files and CE4 Pages files cannot coexist on the same website, but wasn't the question about Lightroom?
The Backlight version of TTG Publisher will control both Backlight and CE4 albums/album sets.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2017-05-08 04:16:50

kevin
Website

Thanks Rod.. I wasn't seeing the server side and the Light room side as being separate, which of course they are!   I would rather rebuild all the galleries in Backlight... a much simpler interface.... than CE4.
Thanks again
Kevin

#12 2017-05-15 03:12:02

kevin
Website

I cannot have my site down much longer.... the backlight performance issue is too sporadic for me to deal with at this time.
Ben has told me that my site run fine at his end \, but I am getting emails from clients that are telling they are waiting 5 minutes for the site to respond.  I have been trying other backlight sites (sourcing from this forum) and all sites are instantaneous or very close.  After my site is loaded there are no issues.....
Is there a way that I can set up a test site on the server that is hosting my domain.   For example put the backlight files on .../public/test and have the CE4 files on .../public.    will the two sites interact/interfere with each other?   
I do need a site up.....   I have never had a problem with CE4.   But I really like the Backlight interface.

thanks again

Kevin

#13 2017-05-15 05:55:39

rod barbee
Website

You certainly can set up a test site. Either in a sub-folder or sub-domain. I have several going on.

my main site is at barbeephoto.com, my Backlight test site is at backlight-rb-test.barbeephoto.com.

whatever you choose, sub-folder or sub-domain, they won't interfere with the main site as long as all your Backlight files are contained in the sub-folder or sub-domain.

It seems to be more of a hosting issue than anything else. Backlight is much more dependent on the database than CE4 is. I wonder if it has something to do with database requests getting hung up (he says without knowing a whole lot about how it all works smile )

Have you ever run data-base dependent software (like WordPress) on the site before?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2017-05-15 06:34:41

kevin
Website

Thanks for your input Rod.
I am not quite sure exactly what a subdomain is and how to set it up (or whether the host will support one).  This process sure is a learning experience....

No, I have not used data-based dependent software on the site before....I started my site using and old copy of Dream Weaver and then graduated to TTG CE2, CE3, then CE4.   Backlight was/is a dream come true for ease of use.

Here's hoping that i can sort this out.

Thanks

Kevin

#15 2017-05-15 08:06:13

kevin
Website

Update     Talked to the webhosting company (second time).  They have opened a service ticket to examine the speed issue.  Will post results as they come in.
Regarding setting up a  Subdomain, they will not support subdomains.  They suggested a subfolder solution!

#16 2017-05-15 09:04:35

rod barbee
Website

no subdomains??
I'd be looking into new hosting.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2017-05-15 13:15:28

kevin
Website

What Host do you recommend?
I am doing a cursory  look at Bluehost or Hostgator.....   What is the bare minimum that i need to run Backlight?.. I have everything but Wordpress... Will the requirements change with future releases fo TTG backlight?

Thanks

Kevin

#18 2017-05-15 21:35:06

rod barbee
Website

The requirements are listed at the bottom of the Store page.
http://theturninggate.net/product-colle … backlight/

I'm on Bluehost. Matt has a list of recommended hosts in the sidebar of most TTG site pages.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2017-05-17 03:59:36

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Requirements are unlikely to change with future releases.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#20 2017-05-17 06:53:17

kevin
Website

So, I got a response from the HOST....

The ticket # 4157525 that was submitted for pkgphoto.ca, regarding your website concern, has returned from our investigation. During our testing and investigation, the website was processed by our servers in 2 seconds. Please refer to the screenshot attached. The other website content is loaded dynamically by the domain. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we do not provide support for third party applications the website was built with. In order to ensure that you are entirely satisfied with this resolution, the ticket will remain open for 48 hours. If the issue is not resolved and/or the error(s) persists, please contact us and we will be happy to assist further.

UNQUOTE

Anybody care to comment....

I am looking into a new hosting service.... Probably Bluehost   

Is anybody using Ehosts?

Thanks again for your assistance Ben , Rod and Mat.

Kevin

#21 2017-05-17 07:34:38

Ben

Hi Kevin, I meant to update you earlier. I don't have anything to add on the slowness though. I see it once every once in a while, but it runs quickly on subsequent refreshes and page loads. I would normally try to diagnose the problem by adding log statements through the code to find any slow points, but doing so requires many iterations of adding logging statements while the server is consistently running slowly. I'm not able to do that with the sporadic slowness I've seen.

#22 2017-05-18 05:33:50

Matthew
Administrator
Website

There's nothing about Backlight that is natively slow, so I would definitely look for another host. I really sounds to me like there's some issue with your current host's servers. Bluehost or Hostgator are both good options.

If you use the affiliate links on our blog, you can also help us out. Thanks!

Matt

#23 2017-05-29 08:59:37

kevin
Website

Mathew, Ben, Rod and the rest of the team....   Thanks a ton for your help with this slowness problem.  I changed Hosting companies and all is well now.  I am starting to rebuild my galleries using Backlight!

I ended up going with BlueHost.  I got their smallest package to start and will grow into the "Plus" package down the road.

Thanks again for your support on this.

Kevin

Patiently waiting for release of backlight 1.2   !!!

#24 2017-05-29 09:22:21

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Hi Kevin,

Glad to hear you're on track. I can only scratch my head over the slowness on the previous host, but happy it's no longer an issue you'll have to endure.

Matt

Board footer