Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-03 03:43:30

jeffpohl

One page websites supported?

I haven't upgraded to Backlight as of yet; still on CE4 but I was wondering if I could build a one page scrolling website with the platform.  As far as I know, doing this would entail being able to link to defined anchor points within the website.  I've searched the forum and looked at many showcased websites but haven't found anything.  Anyone know? Thank you!

#2 2017-05-03 05:12:05

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: One page websites supported?

Hi Jeff,

Backlight isn't really built for one-page sites. There may be some workarounds, depending on how much code you're comfortable writing for yourself, but I think you'd be giving up on a lot of what Backlight has to offer in that case. Coding the menu to target anchors on the page isn't really an issue; the larger probably would be just in managing the page's content. Can you provide some example of what you're envisioning for your site?

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-05-03 08:13:26

jeffpohl

To be honest, I'm not yet settled on building a one-pager; I am merely toying with the idea and was curious if Backlight had the capability.  Here is an example of what I would want if I went that route:

http://hardyklaholdphotography.com

I know I can do it in Muse but I like the simplicity of gallery creation in Backlight; adding numerous images in Muse (at least with the widget I'm using) is arduous. From what I've seen and read here, I would also utilize the cart functionality or Fotomoto if/when it becomes more mobile friendly.

I don't mind adding a bit of code here and there but my days of spending hours in a text editor are well behind me- and a lot of that knowledge murky.  So, if the workarounds involved in getting a site like this to work require more than code snippets here and there, I wouldn't go that route with Backlight as that negates the simplicity of Backlight and the simplicity of Backlight is exactly why I am here (like many).  I still plan on upgrading to Backlight regardless of the outcome of this conversation; I love CE4 and the CRG but I want to ensure that my site has support should things get rusty or break.
Thanks Matt-

Last edited by jeffpohl (2017-05-03 08:14:51)

#4 2017-05-04 03:45:55

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the link. So there are blocks of content, but the page then goes to separate pages for displaying galleries and blog posts ...

Backlight doesn't have anything like that at the moment, but I could maybe see us trying to do something similar in the future. I think it could be an interesting thing to try, anyway. Of course I cannot guarantee anything, as it's not something being worked on at the moment, but certainly something I might attempt at some point.

So I'm seeing the "pages" Home, About, Galleries (a gallery index), info and contact all on one page there; with Backlight currently, these would be separate pages.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2017-05-04 21:01:30

jeffpohl

No worries... As I mentioned, I was just seeing if Backlight could do it should I want to mix things up a bit.  New product features are always welcome so if it happens to be implemented sometime down the road, I think I would try to utilize it at least in some capacity.  As always, thanks for your feedback Matt.

Board footer