Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-05 12:24:05

reinharw

Multiple Galleries

I'm a huge fan and long time user of Turning Gate Products.  Currently, my site (www.williphotos.com) was built using CE4 but I'm wanting to convert it to Backlight as soon as I'm comfortable with its features and know that I can functionally duplicate what I have now.  So far I'm very impressed with Backlight and how easy and fast it is to build and modify a website.  It is far easier than using CE4.  That being said, I can't figure out how to duplicate with Backlight something I've done with CE4 on my current website.  Basically, from my top level menu, I have a menu choice of Special Occasions, and Recipes. If you select Special Occasions it takes you to a number of galleries and if you select a gallery, it takes you to those photos.  Choosing Recipe menu choice does the same thing but obviously takes you to different galleries and corresponding photos.  I remember needing CE4 Auto-Index to implement this configuration but I don't see any corresponding to it in Backlight or a way to do it.  As I said in the beginning, I'm a rookie at using Backlight so I may be just over looking something obvious.  First please confirm that Backlight can do what I'm currently doing with CE4 and second suggest how it can be done.  Thanks - Bill

#2 2017-04-05 12:45:57

rod barbee
Website

Re: Multiple Galleries

You can do the same thing using album sets. They are analogous to auto indexes.

You can either create them within your existing top-level gallery of you can create new top-level galleries to publish to.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-04-07 02:15:13

Matthew
Administrator
Website

As Rod says. You simply need to create album sets in Lightroom's Publisher, then create albums inside of those sets.

For design, you can create or edit the Album Set Template using Backlight's Designer.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2017-04-14 22:00:48

mikkelmand
Website

One of the things that confuse me about the support around this product is the inconsistent terminology. As far as I know there is no such thing as an "album" in LR. I assume this word points to collections, but in the beck of my head I always think "I might be wrong, and maybe that´s the reason why it won´t work for me" - when trying to solve a problem...

#5 2017-04-14 22:20:36

rod barbee
Website

Albums in Lightroom are created under Publish Services. They act like collections but are not "stored" under the Collections control pane.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2017-04-15 02:11:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

"Album" and "Album Set" are terms pulled directly from Lightroom's Publish Services. You may right-click Publish Services to see them for yourself. If we are using inconsistent terminology, it's usually in an attempt to match up with Lightroom's own odd and inconsistent terminology.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2017-04-28 07:23:28

reinharw

Ron and Matt - Thanks for your very helpful feedback.  I'm finally starting to understand the difference between album set and albums which has been confusing me for a while.  Now I think I can make progress on my original problem with a little more help.  It seems that when I create an album set or album, by default, it automatically appears under the top level gallery menu item.  Which is fine for one of my album sets/albums but if I create a second album set/album how do I tell publisher or Backlight under what menu item to put it?  I'm sure it is easy but I can't figure out where to look or how to set it.  Is it set in LR publisher or Backlight and where?  If you can clarify this for me, I'm on my way.  Thanks again for all your support.  - Bill

#8 2017-04-28 07:27:33

rod barbee
Website

how do I tell publisher or Backlight under what menu item to put it?

What exactly do you mean? Publisher will place your albums and album sets in the top-level galleries folder, not in menu items.
(You can create your menu set to show anything you want though, but that's done in Backlight)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2017-04-28 08:23:20

reinharw

Rod,

Here's what I mean.  On my website (www.williphotos.com) back in CE4, I had two top level menu entries (Special Occasions & Recipes) that took you to different photo galleries and their pictures. That is what I'm trying to duplicate in Backlight.  I can see now from your previous comments, that I could create two different album sets under the galleries menu item and accomplish something similar but I was hoping to do it as I did in CE4.  Does that help clarify what I'm trying to do?

#10 2017-04-28 08:57:20

rod barbee
Website

You need multiple top-level gallery folders then.
You can have as many as you need. Using your FTP program, create another folder on the same server level as the backlight/ folder and the galleries/ folder.
Create another Publisher instance in Lightroom and target this folder. Publish an album to it and Backlight will automatically turn it into a top-level album set.
In Backlight, go to Publisher > Top-Level Galleries and click on the new top-level gallery. Click on Edit Properties. On the properties page, assign an album set template in the Template field.

In your menu set, add a new item and place it where you want and link it to an Album Set. Choose your new top-level galleries set.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2017-04-28 11:34:54

reinharw

Rod - Your last message told me what I was missing.  If I had only looked a little more closely at my CE4 Publisher entries, I should have figured it out on my own but I didn't.  Thanks for the help.

Board footer