Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-24 04:40:13

HP
Website

How to you manage your test environment?

Hi all,

The next version of Backlight will come soon.

I would like to have a 1:1 copy of my web page where I could do the upgrade first, check all the new features, apply maybe new settings and do some tests before I apply the upgrade to the productive web site. Or how about testing the chart and sales first before going online?

Could you give me some ideas how you handle this and how you setup a test site?

Do you export/import settings?

Do you copy all the files from test to production?

Any idea ist apprechiated.

Thanks and regards
HP

Any typos are due to fat thumbs and autocorrect, not low IQ.

#2 2017-04-24 05:10:38

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: How to you manage your test environment?

I test new settings in a test domain that I have in a separate subdomain. But you could have a second installation in a subdirectory as well. Going this route, you would have something like mydomain.com/test with backlight installed in mydomain.com/test/backlight. Changes to the settings would be shared using export/import while changes to custom CSS and phplugins would be a simple file copy.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2017-04-25 01:31:19

HP
Website

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your explanations.

So I could copy the entire page to a new folder of an other test domain and login as an admin to change the general settings?

I just remember when I started with Backlight on a test environment and went then productive I had a some problems related to the path of some folders...

But as you mentioned -> export and Import the settings will probably do the job.

I will give a try and see how it works.

Thanks
HP

Last edited by HP (2017-04-25 01:34:28)

#4 2017-04-25 01:59:33

rod barbee
Website

the only things you'll be exporting and importing are page, album, and album set templates. Settings don't export.

You can copy the backlight/, galleries/, index.php, and .htaccess folders/files over to a new subdomain or sub folder. Then log in to Backlight in that subdomain or sub folder and change the web address settings.

In Lightroom, create a new Publisher instance and enter the API url and key.

You may find that any image you've uploaded via the Backlight uploader are missing. Just upload them again assign them where they need to be (masthead, favicon, etc.)

What might make more sense is what Daniel suggested: to just create a subdomain for testing purposes. Export your templates from your main domain and import them to the test domain.
When new features are introduced, update the test site and play with them. Once you've got what you want, export the page, album, and album set templates and then import them into your main site and assign the new templates as needed.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-04-25 02:52:50

HP
Website

Thank you Rod for your detailed explanations.
HP

Board footer