Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-18 19:58:20

Mediahype

Galleries within galleries

Hi TTG,

It's been a while since I pestered the forum with questions.  I've been enjoying the website but feel it's time I got creative again and push my boundaries.

I have my galleries setup but am now considering including galleries within galleries but I'm not sure how to achieve this.  For example, I wish to have a several main (top level) galleries and then within each of those top level galleries have several sub galleries.  For example a top level gallery may be called "Location" and underneath that have several galleries with different locations like, Australia, Europe, North America, etc etc.

I use TTG Publisher within Lightroom to publish photos to my site.  However when I try add a gallery under another gallery it won't let me do this and instead places it at the same level as the other galleries.

I assume I need to restructure my gallery setup from within Backlight but how, is this where I need to setup album sets?

Regards

#2 2017-04-18 20:14:27

charlie.choc
Website

Re: Galleries within galleries

You need to create an album set under LR for your top level and then include your sub galleries within the set. That's what I have done on my site and it works fine. You will also need to create an album set template under Backlight to assign to your LR album set.

I also included this code in my .htaccess under the galleries folder
so I wouldn't get a bunch of 404 errors from search engines that had already indexed my site:

# redirects for revised gallery structure

RewriteRule ^smoky-mountains/(.*)$ /galleries/landscapes/smoky-mountains/$1 [R=301,NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^seashores-swamps-and-wetlands/(.*)$ /galleries/landscapes/seashores-swamps-and-wetlands/$1 [R=301,NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^great-plains-and-mountain-west/(.*)$ /galleries/landscapes/great-plains-and-mountain-west/$1 [R=301,NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^far-west/(.*)$ /galleries/landscapes/far-west/$1 [R=301,NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^fall-colors/(.*)$ /galleries/landscapes/fall-colors/$1 [R=301,NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^desert-southwest/(.*)$ /galleries/landscapes/desert-southwest/$1 [R=301,NC,L]

# end redirects

Last edited by charlie.choc (2017-04-18 20:18:40)

#3 2017-04-18 21:26:14

rod barbee
Website

I use TTG Publisher within Lightroom to publish photos to my site.  However when I try add a gallery under another gallery it won't let me do this and instead places it at the same level as the other galleries.

This is because albums (galleries) cannot be placed within other albums.
Use album sets to organize your albums.
This works in exactly the same way Collections do in Lightroom: you can't put Collections within Collections but you can put Collections within Collection Sets.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2017-04-19 18:04:02

Mediahype

Thanks Rod & Charlie,

That's done the trick, wicked, thank you! 

I've noticed that a random cover image is not displayed in an Album set when set to random.  An image is displayed though if I select an image fromn the drop down list in the album set config.  This works ok in normal albums.

Cheers

#5 2017-04-19 20:24:23

charlie.choc
Website

Same with me, the album set cover image isn't even there when I select random.

#6 2017-04-19 21:17:17

rod barbee
Website

Mediahype wrote:

I've noticed that a random cover image is not displayed in an Album set when set to random.  An image is displayed though if I select an image fromn the drop down list in the album set config.  This works ok in normal albums.

Cheers

This is normal behavior. The reason is that Lightroom cannot publish images to album sets, therefore there are no thumbnails created.
If you manually export thumbnails from the Library Module and upload them to the album set's thumbnails/ folder, then the Random option will display the thumbnails you uploaded.
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … album_sets

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer