Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-05 22:30:57

pideja

replicate an existing setup

I'm working on this (test) bilingual web site where I want a French and an English side. In fact, it's an upgrade from an existing CE4 site built along the same lines.

I've succeeded in building the portal that leads to each side. The English side is completed, at least to where I want it, for now.

Now, I should be able to copy and export the English templates to the French side, correcting the URLs and the text, of course. Should be fairly straightforward, right? Turns out that I think that some settings don't get carried over, for some reason.

This is my third go of it! I'm starting (again) from scratch and hopefully, I won't forget anything. I need to export all existing templates from one side to the other. I must copy and past all CSS from one side to the other. Then, correct all URL references and all the text. Thumbnails will be identical on both sides, of course. In Publisher, both sides should mirror each other.

Is it possible to have but one common CSS folder and one video folder (the content) for both?

#2 2017-04-05 23:07:37

rod barbee
Website

Re: replicate an existing setup

Now, I should be able to copy and export the English templates to the French side, correcting the URLs and the text, of course.

Can you outline your process for exporting the templates from the EN site and importing them into the FR site?
On the Export Template page there is an option called Include Company Name and Site URL information in exported template. Did you select "No" for this? The No option is probably what you want to use. That way you wouldn't have to correct any site URLs from the templates.

I don't think you can have one common video folder. The Theater docs state that the videosrc/ folder needs to be a the same level as the site's backlight/ folder.

You could use a common css file though. But you'd have to implement it via phplugins just like in CE4.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-04-06 02:54:17

pideja

I start by exporting all the En templates to a folder on my hard drive for later use and safekeeping. I also export the same templates, under an appropriate name in a separate Fr folder, for the same reasons. For example, I have a NAT-en and a NAT-fr template as my basic pages template. Ditto for all the others. Of course, I take care to Include Company Name and Site URL information in exported template.

I will have separate videosrc folders and custom/css folders on each side, even though they will be identical.

#4 2017-04-06 05:19:09

rod barbee
Website

The way I would do it is to export the EN page, album, and album set templates and NOT include company name and URL. This is because the FR site should already have those established.
(I also wouldn't use the Bundle with Page Template option for the albums and album sets, that will result in multiple identical page templates)

In the FR site, import the templates.
Then go about creating your stand-alone pages (about, contact, etc.) using the appropriate page template.
Your album and album set templates should be listed, just edit those to assign the appropriate page template.
Then add any template text you need to each template.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2017-04-06 22:48:21

pideja

I re-saved the en templates as per your suggestion. Imported all templates within the fr side. Changing the names thru Edit Properties  in order to reflect what side is in use, i.e. NAT-en becomes NAT-fr, etc.

Something strange: I use a different masthead for the Gallery, About and Contact pages. On the en side, looking at the Backlight settings, it is clearly indicated "ID_normal-2x" but it does not appear in the Uploaded Images section! So, of course, I can't find it in the folders/files on the server. Where is it? How can it show on the web pages but not on the ftp server or the Backlight site?

#6 2017-04-06 22:53:06

rod barbee
Website

Do you mean the image isn't appearing on the FR site? did you upload the image to the FR site via the Backlight uploader?

All images uploaded via the Backlight uploader are stored in yoursite/backlight/data/designer/image_uploads/ for each site.

You'll notice that the original filename is stripped and replaced with an id number.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2017-04-06 23:12:39

pideja

Solved the problem by re-importing the "missing" identity plate on both sides. I never found the one that was displaying on the en side but at least now, I'm sure they are there and they do display correctly.

Then, corrected the masthead with the appropriate, newly uploaded image and voilà! Both sides now in sync.

(Beginning to get it, at last.)

When the Albums are all loaded on the fr side, I'll replace the existing website (built in CE4) with this one.

Trepidation all around.

Last edited by pideja (2017-04-06 23:41:07)

#8 2017-04-06 23:28:52

rod barbee
Website

which Gallery page are you referring to? The one on the FR site? http://pideja.ca/nat/fr/galleries/

It appears to be using a an album set template that has a page template that's using the masthead from the entry page.
The Galleries page on the EN site uses an album set template that uses a different masthead.
So in the FR site, check the page template that the album set assigned to the Galleries page is using. Make sure it's using the correct masthead image.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2017-04-07 01:32:07

pideja

Finally figured it out. Now works fine. Still a few glitches, like changing the color and text alignment of the banner that pops up when sending a message with the contact form, but most of these are of a design-cosmetic nature.

Next, will be replacing the existing CE4 site with this one on the server.
'Till then, thank you, Rod.

P.S. I knew I hadn't there had to be something...how can I control the look of the AlbumSet on the Mobile? It must have something to do with the breakpoint. The thumbnails are all to the right when in portrait mode and to the left in landscape mode. Do I need to write some CSS?

Last edited by pideja (2017-04-07 03:40:38)

Board footer