Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-31 12:11:06

Ken
Website

Publisher Alternative?

I have been using Backlight since last September. It has been fantastic. Is there a Publisher alternative for updating gallery photos, creating new galleries and uploading photos? I ask for two reasons:

1. I have started using Capture One Pro, and would like to use just one raw converter in my workflow. Right now I have to use LR for managing my web galleries contained in my Backlight created website. It would be very nice to have an alternative method for managing, creating web galleries.

2. If there was an alternative method, then it would greatly expand Backlight's market since there are many photographers who do not use LR. If there is not an alternative method, then I strongly encourage TTG to develop a simple stand alone app that can publish photos to Backlight galleries. It doesn't have to be a RAW converter, but work with a folder of properly sized JPEGS or TIFFS. Another possibility is to add a publish/gallery creation function to Backlight.

I know how hard the Backlight developers work. You all do an amazing job. So from a time/resource standpoint this may not be a practical idea. But if it was possible, it would certainly open up a much larger Backlight market to the many photographers who do not use LR, plus support Backlight users who are migrating away from LR.

#2 2017-03-31 14:18:47

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Publisher Alternative?

Hi Ken,

At present, Lightroom's Publish Services are the only option for publishing photos to Backlight. And I will preface my next comments by saying that we absolutely intend to continue supporting Lightroom's Publish Services going forward.

That said, we created Backlight specifically to unhinge our feature set from its dependency on Lightroom. Breaking out of the Web module was the first step, and while we will continue to support Lightroom's Publish Services as an option, we would like for it not to be the only option.

For exactly the reasons you cite, we would very much like to create some agnostic method for publishing photos to Backlight. There's more architecture to build before that can happen, though. Maybe an image library within the application, rather than our leaning on Lightroom for that purpose.

At present, I am hard at work on Backlight 1.2, an update largely focused on improvements to our design modules.

We will likely return to core application improvements with Backlight 2.x. This topic is one that's already on our shortlist for that release, so the work will hopefully get us there sooner than later.

On a personal note, I am also increasingly interested in moving my photography to Lightroom alternatives, so I am personally invested in seeing Backlight become more independent.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-03-31 20:12:36

Ken
Website

Re: Publisher Alternative?

Hi Matt,

I am very happy to hear this and not surprised. The major photography forums that I follow suggest that many photographers do not use Lightroom and yet all of them have some method for sharing/promoting their photos on the www. Backlight is a brilliant solution.

I am looking forward to Backlight 1.2. Keep up the great work. It is very much appreciated by all TTG/Backlight users.

Board footer