Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-18 06:58:22

paulo

Should I get Backlight now

Hello, I'm still using CE3 plugins, I know I know but hey it works so...The time has come to give the site a refresh so was looking into backlight. Obviously it's completely different and a little daunting to learn it all over again. With Matthew's recent announcement that there is a big update coming should I wait before buying all the backlight components ?

#2 2017-02-18 07:28:48

rod barbee
Website

Re: Should I get Backlight now

If you're ready to start designing a new site, I'd suggest getting Backlight now and start playing with it in a sub-folder or sub-domain. It won't cost you any more buying now rather than buying later, and you'll be steps ahead on the learning curve.

Many people have commented on how much easier it is working in Backlight than working in Lightroom. It is a lot faster. A whole lot. No more yelling at the damn slow web module!

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-02-18 12:21:24

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Hi Paulo,

The "big update" I've mentioned is 1.2, and will be a free update for existing Backlight users. There will be a lot of new things to play with in the update, but there's no financial reason to wait, and as Rod says, it's always a good time to start getting familiar with the system.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2017-02-20 07:24:51

paulo

Thank guys for the info. In one of Matts earlier blogs talking about Backlight he demonstrated in a video using mamp and coda. Do I need coda in order to test the new site with backlight? In CE3 I'm using publisher. Does a new version of publisher come with backlight ? Can I keep both versions of publisher in lightroom while testing? Lastly ( sorry for all the questions ) Can I do some testing in mamp on my laptop while the install of lightroom is on another mac in the house ? Is there a way to have a local host that works for both machines and be able to publish a gallery ? Thank you in advance

#5 2017-02-20 07:41:01

rod barbee
Website

You don't need coda. If you're resting locally, just use the system tools to move the files.

There is a new version of Publisher.
Are you going to want to migrate your current CE3 albums to Backlight? If so, you'll first need to migrate them to Ce4 Publisher, then install the new Publisher and migrate them to Backlight.
If this is what you need to do, then contact Matt about getting CE4 Publisher.

I don't quite understand your last question. Since Publisher collections are catalog specific, if you want to publish albums in a MAMP environment, Lightroom will need to be on the same computer as your MAMP install.

You can, however, install Backlight on a Mac without Lightroom and play with Backlight, including creating pages. You just won't be able to publish albums to it. If that's what you're asking about.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2017-02-20 08:04:32

paulo

Hi Rod, I'll just republish the albums with the new publisher then, I have a 20Mb upload speed so wont take too long.
I think maybe I'll just install backlight directly on my host route directly then to a domain/testpage. I assume when I'm happy with it I can just move all the files to the route ? Would I have to then republish the albums from lightroom I use for testing or can I just change the publishing directory in lightroom publish settings ?

#7 2017-02-20 08:40:45

rod barbee
Website

Test out what you want to do first. If you had CE4 albums you could just use the migration tool
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _backlight
But if they are CE3, that won't work directly, as mentioned above.

If I remember, the latest Publisher won't take over for the CE3 Publisher. So you'll probably have to create new albums under the new Publisher.

If you're just going to replace your current site, I think you should be able to just copy everything in your test environment to your main site. You'll then need to login to Backlight and change the site URL in Settings. You'll also need to update the Publisher API address in Lightroom.
And if you are just planning on replacing your current site, you should probably delete the files and folders of the old site first.

I suggest testing it out in a sub-folder or sub-domain first though. Maybe with a small test site containing only one ore two albums.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2017-02-20 08:43:44

paulo

Thanks Rod, I just need to get my hands on backlight and all the add ons.

Last edited by paulo (2017-02-20 08:43:58)

Board footer