Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-18 00:02:17

jzphoto

Will CE4 Client Response Gallery eventually "Break"?

I rely on CE4 CRG for critical client feedback. I'm dead if the clients' "Feedback" emails don't come through. At some point could technology change and the "Feedback" emails stop coming in without notice?

How would we know if this happened? i.e. would the "Feedback" confirmation prompt stop working?

p.s. I'm happy to upgrade to whatever is needed if there is a need and it is minimal effort.

#2 2017-02-18 07:09:53

Ben

Re: Will CE4 Client Response Gallery eventually "Break"?

There are two risks here.

1) That your host's email support will change.  The underlying platform may be updated or your site moved to a different server without you being aware, with a change of email server.  Our document on issues sending emails with Bluehost may provide some items to try should email become an issue: http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … n_bluehost
In any case, feedback is captured in a database, so if you feel your not getting emails, check in at your CRG admin page and look for feedback there.

2) PHP support changes which becomes incompatible with our code in the CRG.  We've had this happen in the past, especially where upgrades to PHP 7, and no 7.1, has caused issues.  We will endeavour to create updates for CE4 should that happen.

#3 2017-02-18 12:16:25

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Will CE4 Client Response Gallery eventually "Break"?

Possibility #3: Adobe drops the ball.

a) It's happened before with major Lightroom versions that the Web module has broken compatibility with older plugins. I believe some of our very old plugins no longer work in LR 6/CC2015. Some plugins have broken between major versions and we've been able to fix them, or to work with Adobe to restore compatibility. Depending on the scope of the necessary changes, or whether we're even able to identify the cause of the breakage at all, we may or may not be able to restore plugin functionality should they ever break again.

b) As Adobe continues to shift focus to their cloud services, it's easy to imagine the Web module taking a backseat, or changing in purpose entirely. Or given Adobe's evidenced lack of interest in developing or maintaining the Web module, that it might simply be scrapped.

The solution in either of these scenarios is easy: upgrade to Backlight. Backlight improves on everything we built with CE4, and is built specifically to separate our product from Lightroom's Web module. We were tired of banging our heads against the Web module's limitations, and we have for a long time been uncomfortable having all of our eggs in Adobe's basket.

Ben is great at tackling server related issues, such as those mentioned above, so I'm confident that we'll be able to evolve Backlight to meet shifting server conditions far more easily than Adobe's amorphous priorities.

So while we will continue to support CE4 for the foreseeable future, it's not difficult to imagine a time when it will be untenable to do so. Meanwhile, Backlight is built specifically to ensure the future viability of our feature set, that you have come to rely upon.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer