Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-16 07:04:42

gosselin109
Website

installing new backlight publisher 3.1.1 over 2.3.2 on my ce4 site

Hello,
I'm preparing to migrate my CE4 site and  I want to make sure how to first upgrade publisher 3.1.1.
Do I upgrade like normal with CE4 and copy it after into backlight folder and it will be compatible with both CE4 and backlight?

So as usual, I need to do this first in my ce4 ?
    To update to Publisher x.x.x:

Replace the ttg-be/publisher/application directory
   Replace the CE4-Publisher.lrplugin, and restart Lightroom

And, except for migrating albums, I can't find a complete guide to migrate from CE4 pages to Backlight. Or best practice to do it?
testing it with a subdomain or subdirectory?

thanks in advance

#2 2017-02-16 07:54:18

rod barbee
Website

Re: installing new backlight publisher 3.1.1 over 2.3.2 on my ce4 site

In Lightroom, install the latest version of Publisher. It will take over for the CE4 version. Nothing will change as far as your CE4 site is concerned. You'll still be able to publish as normal. TTG CE4 Publisher will be gone, replace by simply TTG Publisher

DO NOT replace anything in ttg-be/ or alter it in any way. It will no longer be used in your Backlight site. But leave it as is for now as the Backlight Publisher migration tool needs it to be in place (if you plan on migrating current albums and sets over to Backlight control).

I'm going to assume you're replacing your CE4 (Pages?) based site with Backlight.

Best practice seems to be to develop your new Backlight based site in a sub-folder or sub-domain first. Do all your designing there. You'll need to start from scratch as there is no mechanism to move your CE4 design to Backlight. If you're using the Pages module, create all your stand alone pages including Home, About, Contact, Services, etc.
Publish an album or two in the development site just so you can see how things are styled.

Once you're satisfied and ready to replace your CE4 site, you can delete any albums and album sets you've published in the development site. (this assumes you plan on migrating your old CE4 albums to Backlight control)

Via FTP delete all your old CE4 files except for ttg-be/ and your galleries/ folder (and your blog folder, if you have one). (It's probably a better idea to first download everything to your computer as a back up, just in case....)

I suggest leaving your development site intact for now too. It's always nice to have a test site for testing things.
Download to your computer everything in your development site folder except the galleries/ folder: backlight/, index.php, .htaccess (these last two are assuming you're using the Pages module).

Now upload those same files to the location where your old CE4 files were (typically the root of your site).

Your file structure will look something like this:

backlight/
galleries/
ttg-be/
your-development-site/
index.php
.htaccess

In Lightroom, go to the Publisher instance that controls your existing albums and update the API URL to the new backlight location (yoursite.com/backlight/publisher)

In Backlight, run the Migration tool for Publisher. If you were also using CE4 Cart and have Backlight Cart installed, run that migration tool as well.

I think that's about it.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-02-16 10:40:34

gosselin109
Website

thanks a lot Rod for your quick answer.
A bit of precision for publisher.
I have the publisher plugin for ce4 named CE4-Publisher.lrplugin
I named backlight publisher TTG-Publisher.lrplugin and installed it with plugin manager.

Now, the new publisher is installed and running and the CE4 is showed but disabled.
should I have used the same name or it's OK like that?

thanks again.

#4 2017-02-16 11:08:54

rod barbee
Website

It's been many months, but from what I remember, TTG CE4 Publisher was completely replaced by TTG Publisher in the Publish Services panel.

Are your CE4 albums now under the control of TTG Publisher?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-02-16 11:10:13

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The current version of the publisher works for both CE4 and Backlight, so you should just replace the older with the newer. Then follow the migration steps in our documentation.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2017-02-16 11:51:43

gosselin109
Website

OK then.
thanks again

Board footer