Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-10 07:19:48

grafichouse

password gallery with download option enquiry

Hi there, I've not visited for quite a while. a good few years ago I found The Turning Gate and it was an incredibly useful tool. I am a wedding photographer, I had (until this year) built my own websites and wanted a password protected gallery that didn't need a shopping cart but where clients could download a high resolution version of the file they were looking at.
I still use TTG CE2 Highslide Gallery version 4.1.8 it works well it does what it says on the tin. BUT I've realised more and more clients use their mobile phones to view and download images so I wanted to ask if there is an updated version. I've looked at Backlight and plugins and can't really see something that will work. I'm using lightroom CC, I click on the web tab and click on my preset gallery made with TTG CE2 I add the clients username and password create the gallery then upload it to a folder on my web server. So is there anything currently available that will do this but will be more mobile friendly. The version I use does not display very well on mobile screens and the download system is just a bit fiddly.

#2 2016-12-10 08:41:06

rod barbee
Website

Re: password gallery with download option enquiry

Both Backlight and CE4 Gallery will do what you want and both look great on mobile devices.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-12-10 23:06:52

grafichouse

rod barbee wrote:

Both Backlight and CE4 Gallery will do what you want and both look great on mobile devices.

it's been a while but I vaguely remember adding plugins or updates to TTG CE2 to get the ability i needed for privacy and individual passwords for each gallery. I don't use any other web pages with the gallery, it's just a gallery page that sits on my server I email the direct address which opens a login page specific to their gallery then when they enter they see a page of thumbnails which expand to a preview when clicked and have a download button next to each thumbnail which downloads a medium sized image that I upload to a folder i call hires which give them images the correct size to share on facebook. I've seen there are systems that can do this like pixie set but i'd be paying for lots of features I don't need. TTG CE2 has done everything i need but I now just want to have an upgraded version that will be more user friendly on mobile devices. can anyone show an example of a gallery like this as I've searched and with backlight I can only find galleries that are used to display images only and are part of a website structure.

#4 2016-12-10 23:30:49

rod barbee
Website

Backlight, on it's own, creates albums and album sets. In CE2-speak, that would be galleries and autoindexes. You can use Backlight to do what you need, but not exactly what you're doing now.
It requires that you establish a "top-level" gallery folder to house your albums. This folder becomes an album set.
You can still create your albums and send the direct link to your clients. But that link will necessarily look something like this:

Backlight is not a Lightroom Web module plugin though. All design is done in a web app you upload to your server. Albums (galleries) are then created using Lightroom's Publish Service via the TTG Publisher plug-in.

If you use CE4 Gallery you can export and upload galleries from Lightroom, just like you're now doing with CE2.

Most users are using Backlight as a total website solution (adding the Pages module and other modules). But you can look at their sites, or Matt's demos here on the TTG site, and see what albums look like and how they function. I've got a lot of examples on my own test site. The link is in my signature below.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer