Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-23 23:21:03

PhilippeH

Problem with pages

I cleared the cache, I checked everything looks OK.

What is strange is when I am on the homepage, that I go to the contact page I arrive on the page /contact.php

On the other hand if I am on the gallery page or the blog page, and I go to the contact page I come across /? Page = contact

All this seems very strange to me!

http://test.vuedailleurs.com

Philippe

#2 2016-11-24 07:44:02

Ben

Re: Problem with pages

Hi Philippe, the style of menu link falls back to ?page=contact for URLs that don't have a working .htaccess file.  It looks like in your case, that's just the /galleries/ directory.  The links appear correctly within the albums under that.

Can you try updating your album files from Backlight?  To do so, visit Backlight -> Publisher then click on Update Album Files under Special Links.  That should copy over the .htaccess file into /galleries/, assuming it's not there.

#3 2016-11-24 16:04:31

PhilippeH

Hello Ben, and thank you for your reply.

I have followed your recommendations but it does not change anything.
I also check if there existed a .htaccess file in the galleries, and that is the case the file is there.

Philippe

#4 2016-11-26 02:31:19

PhilippeH

Hello,

It must be thanks to the new update, but the problem with /? Page = contact is set when I came from the galleries page.

However it still survives coming from the blog page.

Philippe

#5 2016-11-26 06:03:33

Ben

Hi Philippe, I'm not sure what's going on then.  Can you provide me with an FTP login using the Email link under my photo, so that I try to work out what's going wrong?

#6 2016-11-26 20:30:15

Ben

Hi Philippe, thanks for the login.  I can see the issue with Wordpress menus.  The cause is quite technical and possibly not something that can be easily remedied. 

The types of links generated are determined by whether .htaccess files are working for the currently-visited URL. These work for normal galleries, when menus are typically created.  Menus in Wordpress are created by visiting a page underneath /backlight.  Those pages do not support .htaccess and therefore the links generated via the export don't use 'clean URLs'.  There is much more to this story, and it's not something that can be easily remedied.  .htaccess support for /backlight/ is in a semi-working state and breaks various path settings when enabled.

There is however a workaround:

1. Rename the file /backlight/env.php.skel to /backlight/env.php
2. Enable the FORCE_CLEAN_URLS setting at the bottom of the file by removing the leading // so that it looks like

define('FORCE_CLEAN_URLS', true);

3. Re-export your Wordpress theme

For anybody else reading this, this should only be done once you're sure that .htaccess is working at the top of your site, e.g. URLs such as /contact/, /contact.html or /contact.php work correctly.
These are working on Philippe's site.

That setting is intended for sites hosted on non-Apache servers, but provides a good workaround for this issue.

#7 2016-11-26 21:44:38

PhilippeH

Thank you Ben for taking time for this problem.

By cons where the file env.php.skel is located because I would like to make changes on my production site but unfortunately I can not find it.

Thanks again.

Philippe

#8 2016-11-27 06:50:32

Ben

Hi Philippe, it should be found directly under /backlight/.

#9 2016-11-27 07:20:53

PhilippeH

I did not see this file because surprisingly it does not exist in my ftp.
Whether it's on my test site or my production site.
So I added it.

Philippe

#10 2016-11-27 07:27:23

Ben

Hi Philippe, is your production running the latest version?  The file and support for env.php has been in since Backlight 1.0.4.

#11 2016-11-27 08:06:01

rod barbee
Website

Philippe,

be sure to check your Backlight download. I didn't noticed it on my site either, but it's in the download. So if you've been running Backlight since before version 1.0.4, you may not have uploaded it to your site (like I hadn't)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#12 2016-11-27 09:01:09

Ben

It's not at all essential that this file be there.  If you look at the contents you'll find it consists of settings used mainly for development.

#13 2016-11-27 21:04:35

PhilippeH

Hello,

I did the manipulation of the file env.php this morning, and everything works fine. Thanks again.

Philippe

Board footer