Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-29 18:07:42

tonygamble

Rebuilding my web site

Gosh this forum is quiet. A good sign.

As Ben suggested my web site had been hacked into. The people hosting it at the time seem unconcerned and have no backup old enough to recover it. So I have decided to move.

The new host I am using is (a) far faster and (b) far less expensive. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I was on a Microsoft server and I am now on a Linux one.

As you wizards know Linux is case sensitive. So my main index called HurlList does not respond to calls for hurllist or Hurllist. We/I/they are going to have to conduct a huge search and replace to solve that one.

Next it seems that HurlList is not good enough. The URL must be to HurlList/Index.htm  That's no problem as we can correct that in the same search and replace.

I have read that it might be possible to set my area on the hosting web server to (a) ignore case and (b) not need the /Index.htm. But the support people don't seem to be offering this as a quicker fix. I am now with SmartHosting. Any suggestions friends?

Question two:-

Can someone explain why the 'Return to' URL that appears at the top of my browser page of thumbnails is then repeated in each single.html file? I don't see the Return to message when I open a large image. Why is the code needed in the .html that holds it?

Thanks in advance for any help that comes.

Tony

#2 2016-08-30 01:51:44

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Rebuilding my web site

The bad news is that I was on a Microsoft server and I am now on a Linux one.

I would see this is as a good thing as well :-)

As you wizards know Linux is case sensitive. So my main index called HurlList does not respond to calls for hurllist or Hurllist. We/I/they are going to have to conduct a huge search and replace to solve that one.

You would be able to change the url of your site in Lr, then export and upload your site to the new host. This way you don't have to worry about having to fix the files on the server.

Obviously, you can use some shell commands to the the search&replace on your site. But I don't think you want to go there...

Another option would be to move on to Backlight. It is so much easier to design and maintain the site.

Question two:-

A link to your page might help understanding your problem.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2016-08-30 01:59:06

rod barbee
Website

Another option would be to move on to Backlight. It is so much easier to design and maintain the site.

+1 smile

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2016-08-30 02:05:15

tonygamble

Thanks Daniel,

My site consists of about 1,450 folders, each containing an average of 75 images.

Half of them were constructed with Gallery so half have two "Return to my index page" links. Using LR to recreate those folders is impossibly time consuming.

I'm hoping that the new host has done it using search and replace. We are talking about a site that is just short of 30 gig!!

They say they are uploading a revised version now but you could look at the old site which was http://www.tonygamble.org/hurllist/

All the gallery folders prior to around 30th June are the ones that got hacked into.

Tony

Tony

#5 2016-08-30 02:07:04

tonygamble

Thanks Rod,

Snag is that moving the work of the last twenty years on to Backlight would be rather time consuming.

Tony

#6 2016-08-30 02:16:14

rod barbee
Website

tonygamble wrote:

Thanks Rod,

Snag is that moving the work of the last twenty years on to Backlight would be rather time consuming.

Tony

Especially if your galleries weren't created with Publisher. If they were, it would be a snap.

But if not, and you want to gradually move things to Backlight while keeping your current gallery structure intact, I've got some ideas: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2016-08-30 03:53:08

Daniel Leu
Website

tonygamble wrote:

Thanks Rod,

Tony

Yep, that would be rather time consuming. But I think that eventually you should make that move... Web technologies advance and old pages tend not only to look old and outdated, but start to get difficult to use as well!

The foundation that Matt and Ben built for Backlight should serve us for a very long time. And they provided publisher migration tools for CE3->CE4 and now CE4->Backlight. This makes updating to a new release much easier.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#8 2016-08-31 14:46:42

tonygamble

Thanks Rod and Daniel,

I had not spotted your replies as my email notification seems not to work every time.

I'll read them and do some more research.

Tony

#9 2016-08-31 20:16:04

tonygamble

I love it Rod. You say:-

"There's a very good chance that the navigation in your legacy galleries and autoindexes won't work as expected. And if you're not using phplugins to manage your CE4 navigation, then it's not easily changed (you'd have to change the navigation then export and upload your galleries and autoindexes again)"

I said to Daniel "My site consists of about 1,450 folders, each containing an average of 75 images.
Half of them were constructed with Gallery so half have two "Return to my index page" links. Using LR to recreate those folders is impossibly time consuming. I'm hoping that the new host has done it using search and replace. We are talking about a site that is just short of 30 gig!!"

That repair work is still not completed and my colleague has spent more hours/days on it than he'd like to admit. It is a slow process when you are working on a 30 gig portfolio offline and uploading time and again to test.

I am sure you are right Rod. Backlight is the solution - but not for a 77 year old Tony with over 100,000 images to reindex.

Thanks for all your help

Tony

Board footer