Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-13 11:23:17

bob chadwick

Changing Image Order in an Album

I published an album and it turns out it wasn't in the right order.  I read I need to change the order in LR and republish making sure that the Push Metadata box is not checked.  I did so and the order stayed the same.  It didn't work.  How do I reorder the images?

#2 2016-08-13 13:22:23

rod barbee
Website

Re: Changing Image Order in an Album

Usually you can just change the order and mark one image to be republished. That's always worked for me.
Have you tried clearing browser cache?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-08-13 17:07:10

Samoreen
Website

bob chadwick wrote:

I did so and the order stayed the same.  It didn't work.  How do I reorder the images?

Bob,

Did you refresh the page in the browser ? Otherwise, if you view the album in grid mode and select Custom Order, the display order on the web site should be the same as the order in the grid.

Patrick

#4 2016-08-14 06:29:24

bob chadwick

I republished the entire 131 image album with no change.  I then cleared the cache and no change.  I also refreshed the browser by using the circular arrow.  Again no change.

#5 2016-08-14 06:49:17

bob chadwick

I was able to reorder the images. I had tried to order the images by sorting them automatically by name in LR.  This put the out of order image into the proper place. I then republishing the one image, which did not change the order. 

I then did a custom order off of the automatic order by moving one image. I republished that one image, which was then moved on the web site.  I then put the image back in the proper place in LR and republished it again with the the image moved to the proper place on the web site. 

For some reason it wasn't recognizing automatic ordering but would if I created a custom order with the images ordered the same way. Go figure.

Thanks for the help.

#6 2016-08-14 07:46:37

Ben

Automatic ordering does not work beyond initial publishing.  This is a limitation of Lightroom's SDK.  The way it works is that the sequence of photos is only made available to us when the ordering is set to Custom.  In other cases we have no way of finding out the sequence in the collection, or even the type of ordering set on the collection.  I posted a bug report about this to Adobe, but it was ignored.

Your options are to either use Custom Order, or to set the Photo Order field to something other than Managed by Lightroom in the Album settings.  This field was added specifically to address the above shortcoming in the SDK.

#7 2016-08-14 09:27:31

bob chadwick

I'm fine with the way it works.  I just didn't expect it.

#8 2016-08-14 10:03:57

Ben

I thought it worth explaining.

Board footer