Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-29 14:58:02

Phoentje

Reinstall Windows/update lightroom vers. and CE3>4

Hiya,

I am planning some upgrading.

- I want to do a new fresh installation of Windows on my system. Wich steps do I need to take care of before reinstalling?
- Update lightroom 4.6 to latest version
- update CE3 modules to CE4 (to purchase after previous steps are completed)

I ofcourse want to keep the data on my webshop and do not want to reupload all the photos that are currently uploaded.
Wich are the steps to take and in wich order?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2015-07-29 23:44:26

rod barbee
Website

Re: Reinstall Windows/update lightroom vers. and CE3>4

of course, be sure to back up your Lightroom catalogs on an external drive

And to make sure you don't lose all your presets, templates, etc, back up the Lightroom folder (same folder that you find the Web Galleries folder where you installed your TTG plug-ins) to an external drive.
When you install reinstall Lightroom, just copy that Lightroom/ folder back to where it came from. The location differs from OS to OS, which is covered here: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … nstall_ce4

You won't have to re-upload anything.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-07-30 14:47:49

Phoentje

Thanks Rod,
one more. Is it then also possible to setup a second system like my laptop and therefore the possibility to upload from there when on the road?

Thanks!

#4 2015-07-30 16:31:35

Matthew
Administrator
Website

For best results, you should manage your site from a single catalog.

However, you may publish galleries from multiple catalogs if you must; you simply cannot publish to the same gallery from multiple catalogs.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2016-02-25 02:30:19

Phoentje

Hi all, after recently viewed the tips about back up all the presets and web galleries into a dropbox/onedrive location I am ready for a fresh install.
I have bought Lightroom 6 and testing it first on my laptop before I deinstall the current version on my pc.

What I did was create a backup of the catalog. Copied all the data in the Lightroom presets folder and put both on my laptop with LR6.

What other steps do I need to take? Because the plugin is not in the Plugin Manager. Is it only the plugins folder I also need to copy and then I am ready to go and have my laptop online with the catalog, presets and plugins?

The next step is a complete Windows 10 reinstall with a fresh copy of LR6 on my pc.

And after that go for CE4!

#6 2016-02-25 07:18:19

rod barbee
Website

You don't need to uninstall your previous version of Lightroom if you don't want to. They can live side by side.

What other steps do I need to take? Because the plugin is not in the Plugin Manager. Is it only the plugins folder I also need to copy

Which plug-in?

None of the web engine plug-ins (Pages, Gallery, etc) are installed with Plug-in Manager, not do they go in a folder named "plug ins". They all go in the Web Galleries folder inside your Lightroom folder
For Windows that would be C:/users/username/appData/Adobe/Lightroom/Web Galleries.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-02-25 07:39:50

Phoentje

Sorry, I mean the Publisher Plugin. I see that on my pc on the plugin manager

#8 2016-02-25 08:06:18

rod barbee
Website

so everything is good to go?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-02-25 15:14:35

Phoentje

Am I? Not sure. Is this enough to not destroy my current build in any way and are these things the only things to do to copy my entire webshop data and settings for templates and publisher and catalog to a new computer?

#10 2016-02-25 20:53:19

rod barbee
Website

I recently installed a new main hard drive with a fresh install of Windows 7. Essentially a bran new computer.
My catalogs and images are kept on an external drive. (I do this so that I can access the catalog from my laptop if needed)

After installing LR on the new drive I just copied over the Lightroom/ folder. I keep the Publisher plug-in inside the Lightroom/Modules folder so Publisher was copied over too.
After launching Lightroom and opening my catalog, everything worked as it was supposed to. It went very smoothly.

I keep all my LR TTG exports in folders under My Documents. I just copied these over from the old drive to the new.

I you're reinstalling Windows on an existing drive, just copy all that stuff over to another drive first. Then copy it back once you've reinstalled everything.

All the Cart data, as well as Publisher templates, are stored online in TTG-BE so there's nothing to worry about there.

I've since upgraded to Windows 10. And besides a few weird little things (nothing concerning Lightroom or TTG) it went smoothly too.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2016-02-25 21:31:18

Phoentje

Thanks a lot Rod for your input and clearing out! I will go for it then and make the backup folders a bit more easy going.
I Already followed up the advice of putting the galleries on dropbox/onedrive. I might do that aswell for my catalog file to put it in the cloud or have it backed up to the cloud atleast.

#12 2016-02-25 21:37:28

rod barbee
Website

I haven't gone as far as backing up the catalog to the cloud. Just not quite comfortable with that yet wink
But I do a daily mirrored backup to another external drive.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2016-02-25 21:58:43

Phoentje

Yeh, backups are crucial. I got my photos on a raid fault tolerant disk but the more the marrier!
You can backup the catalog in the cloud with the same steps as for create the galleries. With (for me) windows Symbolic links

#14 2016-02-25 23:15:10

rod barbee
Website

I should probably look into it. Can't have enough backups, I suppose.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2016-08-10 06:11:33

john
Website

I lost all of the plug-ins for ce3 at some unknown time.  I upgraded my mac and the operations system with a clean install.  That may have caused the problem.  My system is backed up and operational but the ce-3 isn't working in lightroom.  I looked at the folder found my .irtemplate plug in there.  I reinstalled that and the publisher plugin.  Now the publisher works and I see the the irtemplate in the template browser.  I now seem to have the proper background for the gallery.  I don't have any of the pages setup.  My website is still functional.  Can I download my website or part and install some part of it in the web module of lightroom to reconstruct what I am missing in lightroom?  I know.  Crazy but I don't want to reconstruct the website.

#16 2016-08-10 08:41:35

rod barbee
Website

the TTG plugins have the extension .lrwebengine. The .lrtemplates are for user templates you either create or download from other sources. They contain saved settings for the web engines.

You need the .lrwebengine plug-ins, like TTG-CE3-Pages.lrwebengine, etc to install in Lightroom:
http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … stallation
Hopefully you have those backed up somewhere.

there is no way to download anything from your website to install in Lightroom.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2016-08-11 09:40:56

john
Website

Thanks Rod. I hope I have the file you mentioned somewhere.  I don't look forward to doing the whole thing again.

John

#18 2016-08-11 11:18:59

rod barbee
Website

if you have your saved user templates (.lrtemplate files) then you should be ok. You'll, of course, need the web engine plug-ins too.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2016-08-12 03:48:50

john
Website

I redownloaded the web engines for my ce-3 package but there is no TTG-CE3-WordPress.lrwebengine, TTG-CE3-Stage.lrwebengine, or TTG-CE3-CRG.lrwebengine.  I do have a TTG-CE3-Auto-Index-Enabler.lrwebengine.  My website uses wordpress for my attached blog but I am not sure how I got it there.

John

#20 2016-08-12 04:00:16

rod barbee
Website

the CE3 plug-ins are pretty old and may no longer be available for download. I suggest contacting Matt directly from the Support Page: http://theturninggate.net/support/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#21 2016-08-12 13:55:27

Matthew
Administrator
Website

CE3 plugins are all still online and available to download for existing customers. We are no longer selling CE3 as new purchases. If you need to re-download an existing order, you may do so from our Support page. You will need both the email address used to purchase, and the order number.

Matt

#22 2016-08-16 13:12:24

john
Website

I have been quite happy with my ce3 website.  Can you tell me what I might want in the current Backlight system.  I looked at the video and it looks like it would be easier to build and maintain.  As I have several people asking me about websites at the moment I want to recommend something for them.  Is Backlight likely to be useable long term?

#23 2016-08-16 14:05:19

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Hi John,

Backlight is meant to ensure the relevance of our software long term, regardless of what Adobe chooses to do with Lightroom. Given Adobe's negligence toward the Web module, we felt it an unsound basket for all of our eggs.

From a functional standpoint, Backlight is far easier to set up and use than our past plugin-based systems. It's easier to make updates, additions, redesigns, etc. With CE3, I felt usability was often a tradeoff for end-functionality, and that was frustrating in the extreme. How does one continue to add features, when adding features continually deteriorates the experience of using the product? This feeling was largely due to the constraints of working within Lightroom's Web module. With Backlight, we free ourselves of all of that.

If upgrading from CE3, I should also advise you that our Backlight discounts for CE3 users will be expiring at the end of September.

You might dive into the Showcase forum to gather some impressions from users who have already made the upgrade. It's been pretty unanimous, everyone is like Backlight a lot better than our CEx plugins.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt

#24 2016-08-24 02:09:40

john
Website

Thanks Mathew. I downloaded it for my use this morning and will start my first client on it this afternoon.

John

Board footer