Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-27 22:07:47

Ken
Website

Backlight Cart Questions

1. I notice that I can add an item to the cart and then the View Cart icon appears in the upper right corner of my screen. If I then close my browser, reopen my website. The View Cart icon is gone, which means I can not go back and edit my cart. Most shopping sites remember your cart contents. This way you can come back at a later time, add additional items or modify the cart contents. I think this offers a great advantage to customers. In the Backlight Cart, all content is lost when the browser window is closed. Is there a setting that allows the Backlight Cart to remember its content even after closing and reopening the web browser?

If not, I think there should be an update to cart to give it this feature. I can easily imagine customer selecting a print, adding it to the cart, but still not having made up their mind about the exact size or whether they want a cotton print or a gallery wrap. When they come back the next day and reopen their web browser and go to my website, the cart contents should still be there.

2. Cart-401 was just released. The sub-folder, module-cart, contains:
folders: admin, application, config, lib
files: .htaccess_disabled, index.php, module.xml

I want to make sure I am doing the upgrade correctly and that there is no danger of loosing all of my cart settings. If I understand the readme file correctly, all I have to do is copy the above files and folders into the module-cart folder on my host server. Is this correct?

#2 2016-07-27 22:37:43

Ben

Re: Backlight Cart Questions

Hi Ken,

1. There isn't an option to configure this.  Backlight uses the same session settings across all users.  I'll keep this in mind for a future update, but can't promise anything.

2. The cleanest way is to delete module-cart from your server and upload module-cart from the zip file.  Some FTP applications, such as Transmit, will do just that if you drag the module-cart from the zip into the modules directory on the server.
Cart data is stored under backlight/data/cart/, so not touched by the module-cart updates.

#3 2016-07-30 22:03:00

Ken
Website

Re: Backlight Cart Questions

Thanks for considering the cart feature. Cart content retention would be a highly desirable feature. I think a lot of people take time to make purchase decisions. They will add 2 or 3 images to the shopping car, but hold off on making a final decision. When they return after closing the browser window, they expect the images they added to the cart to still be there. This saves them the inconvenience of having to go and relocate the images again in the various galleries. I have observed the same thing happening in the galleries that sell my work. Customers will select several prints they like, but will want to think it over and come back the next day with a final purchase decision. I do the same thing when I shop online, add several items to a shopping cart, come back the next day and delete cart items or add additional ones. Doesn't everyone shop this way.

Anything that will make shopping more convenient may increase sales.

Board footer