Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-20 17:03:29

Samoreen
Website

Custom order on album set page?

Hi,

Beside prefixing album titles with a number, I don't see any way to get the galleries thumbnails custom ordered on an album set page. Did I miss something?

Thanks.

Patrick

#2 2016-07-20 18:21:52

tomowensphoto
Website

Re: Custom order on album set page?

Alter the order manually in the filmstrip in Lightroom. Works OK for small albums.

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#3 2016-07-20 18:26:41

Samoreen
Website

Hi TomO,

AFAIK, the thumbnails of an album set never appear in the LR filmstrip.

Patrick

#4 2016-07-20 20:56:27

Rainer Goergen
Website

Sortierung ist alphabetisch. Deshalb habe ich den Alben eine 01, 02, 03 usw. davor gesetzt.

Rainer

#5 2016-07-20 21:45:18

rod barbee
Website

you can also set order preferences for items inside of album sets in the "Album Order" field under Base Settings in the Create/Edit Album Set dialog.
You can also set order preferences for top-level galleries in Backlight > Publisher > Top-level galleries. Click on the Top-level gallery name, then click on Edit Properties. Set the way items are ordered in the Order Albums By field.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2016-07-20 22:43:39

Samoreen
Website

Rainer Goergen wrote:

Sortierung ist alphabetisch

...oder bei Zeit der Albumänderung oder der Albumerstellung. Aber nicht benutzerdefiniert.

Schade.

Patrick

#7 2016-07-20 22:46:15

Samoreen
Website

Rod,

I'm aware of both methods but what I want is custom order. As mentioned above by Rainer and me, the only way to achieve this is to prefix the album titles with numbers. Not especially elegant.

Patrick

#8 2016-07-20 22:48:16

rod barbee
Website

that's the way it's done though.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-07-20 22:54:35

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

that's the way it's done though.

I see :-) but I consider this as a missing feature.

Patrick

#10 2016-07-20 22:57:29

rod barbee
Website

Well, it's been this way for a long time. It could be a Lightroom limitation. Or a simple limitation of how computers can sort things. Right now, a metadata field is used to supply the text or number to sort on. It can be sorted in either ascending or descending order. It would probably take appropriating another metadata field with a custom sort number applied.
But Matt or Ben would have to comment, they're the designers.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2016-07-20 23:05:52

Samoreen
Website

Since the thumbnails can be ordered according to other criteria, I don't think that Lightroom is in the way.

In Backlight>Publisher>Top-level>Galleries>Galeries>Albums, there's an album list. It should be possible to handle this list as in  Backlight>Designer>Menu Sets> PP Photo Menu Set>Design . Just dragging and dropping the album titles like the menu items...

My two cents.

Patrick

#12 2016-07-20 23:18:52

Ben

Yes, it should be possible.  Whether we think it's a good use of our time to make it so is another matter.

#13 2016-07-20 23:27:12

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

Yes, it should be possible.  Whether we think it's a good use of our time to make it so is another matter.

Well, isn't Backlight a "Customer-Needs-Driven" project? What about "my" time?

Last edited by Samoreen (2016-07-20 23:30:33)

Patrick

#14 2016-07-20 23:47:39

Ben

We apply our effort to meet the needs of as broad a section of our customer base as possible. 

We do listen to feedback and if there is a general need for a feature then we will allocate our time to said feature.  In this case, you are the first to request this feature and there is little indication that it is of value to our customers in general.  In the mean time, we are working on features that are of more value to more customers.

Backlight is not a custom system tailored to your specific needs.  If you would like such a system then we can take this conversation offline and I can quote you professional rates for bespoke builds.

#15 2016-07-21 00:19:56

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

Backlight is not a custom system tailored to your specific needs.  If you would like such a system then we can take this conversation offline and I can quote you professional rates for bespoke builds.

OK. I take note of this. Just, I thought I had read this on the Backlight advertising page:

Malleable
There are no themes; Backlight's built-in designer lets you customize just about everything, including site and gallery colors, layout, behavior and features. Add your logo, author page copy, and upload images; express yourself, and make your website your website.

Wondering what I was again smoking or drinking at this time...

Patrick

#16 2016-07-21 01:31:42

rod barbee
Website

And, as the text states, using the Designer you can customize all those things. You can also go further with customization using custom css or phplugins.

Given a little coding knowledge, there's a lot that can be done (just take a look at the Showcase forum). But you can't expect Ben and Matt to foresee every possible customization or to change the code for a single feature request unless that feature will benefit the majority of users. It's not an effective use of their time.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2016-07-21 03:09:33

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

But you can't expect Ben and Matt to foresee every possible customization or to change the code for a single feature request unless that feature will benefit the majority of users.

As a former developer, I can  understand this. A few remarks, though...

- Since Backlight is new, there are obviously only few users who had the opportunity to fully test the product and to report about what they think is missing, especially because there's no trial version (I know, it's not easy).

- On a photography web site, the presentation of the available galleries is certainly one of the most important points. The developers were aware of this since they added a lot of sorting choices. Just, custom order was forgotten, although it was not for the albums themselves. For the moment, I'm forced to add ugly numbers to my album titles.

- As a user, I certainly accept the idea that the development team is not at my personal service. As a paying customer, I am a little bit upset by the sometimes rather unpleasant tone used in some answers to my requests (not talking about you - thanks for spending so much time helping us).

- I appreciate the product and I appreciate the authors visiting this forum very often. Just, they should make the difference between fancy feature requests and requests that appear to me (as a software engineer) and very probably to others, as rather legitimate (not only talking about custom order here).

Patrick

#18 2016-07-21 03:31:52

Daniel Leu
Website

- On a photography web site, the presentation of the available galleries is certainly one of the most important points. The developers were aware of this since they added a lot of sorting choices. Just, custom order was forgotten, although it was not for the albums themselves. For the moment, I'm forced to add ugly numbers to my album titles.

Indeed, that's ugly. In CE4, the Slug was used for ordering. This has changed now with Backlight where the Album Title is used. I definitely prefer the CE4 implementation!

Ben, is there a reason for this change or is this something that just creeped in? Thanks!

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#19 2016-07-21 05:21:58

rod barbee
Website

Daniel, you can still use slug (ascending or descending) for ordering. It's one of the eight options in both Backlight (top-level galleries) and Lightroom albums.
slug.jpg

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2016-07-21 05:36:25

Samoreen
Website

So using the slug could be a solution. What is the effect of renaming a slug? I guess everything will be republished to the new folder?

Patrick

#21 2016-07-21 05:48:56

Samoreen
Website

Samoreen wrote:

I guess everything will be republished to the new folder?

Maybe not if I rename the folder on the server at the same time...

Patrick

#22 2016-07-21 06:19:57

Ben

There's no need to change the folder name in the server. Publisher will do that for you if you change the slug in Lightroom.

The tone of my previous reply was purely in response to "what about my time?".  We appreciate suggestions and requests but there's a way to go about it.

At the end of the day nothing has been forgotten. Ordering works in the same way as CE4. Custom ordering works within Albums as that functionality is built into Lightroom. Adobe did not add that functionality for ordering of Albums themselves.

#23 2016-07-21 07:30:15

Daniel Leu
Website

rod barbee wrote:

Daniel, you can still use slug (ascending or descending) for ordering. It's one of the eight options in both Backlight (top-level galleries) and Lightroom albums.
http://rodbarbee.com/screen_caps/slug.jpg

Totally forgot about this setting.... Perfect! Thank you for the reminder.

Ben wrote:

At the end of the day nothing has been forgotten.

smile

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#24 2017-10-29 02:41:33

jrobertburgoyne

I would like my Album Set to sort in reverse chronological order of when the Albums were last modified. I can not get it to work.

I saw these suggestions above in the thread:

---
You can also set order preferences for top-level galleries in Backlight > Publisher > Top-level galleries. Click on the Top-level gallery name, then click on Edit Properties. Set the way items are ordered in the Order Albums By field.
---

I found this, and every sort order in the dropdown list works correctly to change the album sort orders, *except* the final item, the one I want: Modification Time - descending. All the preceding sort options work properly.

There is also this suggestion:
---
you can also set order preferences for items inside of album sets in the "Album Order" field under Base Settings in the Create/Edit Album Set dialog.
---
I don't see this option at all. Perhaps this applied only to an older version of the software? I am using the most recent version.

Whoever can help, I am greatly appreciative. Thank you.

https://jrobertburgoyne.com/

--
J Robert Burgoyne in NYC

#25 2017-10-29 09:45:37

rod barbee
Website

The last suggestion is for individual album set’s. The setting is found in the Basic tab of the album set in Publish Services in Lightroom

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer