Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-02 16:36:04

mindstorm

How to limit breadcrumb to not show 'galleries'

My site has my blog as the home page. I then have 30 or so galleries from various travels and events.  I do want breadcrumbs, to allow a person to easily walk back up the chain.

However, the menu system is including "galleries" which for me is nothing but a holding pen for the various albums.  It is not intended as a destination.

Is there a way to limit breadcrumbs to everything _except_ that master "galleries" entry?

For an example, see -- http://www.mindstormphoto.com/galleries … galapagos/

#2 2016-07-03 00:09:00

rod barbee
Website

Re: How to limit breadcrumb to not show 'galleries'

you would need to use some custom css to hide the first child in the breadcrumb list as well as the first "arrow" .

This looks like it works:

.breadcrumbs a:first-child {
	display: none;
}

ul.breadcrumbs li:first-child:after {
display: none;
}

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-07-03 05:53:44

mindstorm

rod barbee wrote:

you would need to use some custom css to hide the first child in the breadcrumb list as well as the first "arrow" .

This looks like it works:

Unfortunately, that eliminated all breadcrumbs above the immediate precedent, which didn't really work well for 3-level deep menus.  I ended up just turning off breadcrumbs, which I think works for me.  Since I have a full hierarchical menu, the user can just mouse there to go anywhere else in the system.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unless a brainstorm hits someone (or this thread results in a tweak of the UI), I'll consider this resolved.

#4 2016-07-03 06:28:44

rod barbee
Website

It will probably work with some tweaking. It was just the first thing that looked like it might work, without spending an hour looking into it. But it's a place to start.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-07-03 07:03:21

mindstorm

rod barbee wrote:

It will probably work with some tweaking. It was just the first thing that looked like it might work, without spending an hour looking into it. But it's a place to start.

Yep, I understand and appreciate it.  I was a software developer before retiring in 2013, so definitely know how that goes, though I never did more than dabble in CSS.  (I was mostly C++ for my last couple decades)

I agree that it is a good start.  I am somewhat overwhelmed by the massive changes I am making to my galleries right now (still have a week or more to go before I expect to be done), and decided this was a topic that can be sidelined for now.

I will likely return to this and debug the code later.  Again, I really appreciate your help on this!

Overall though, I am VERY impressed with this Backlight upgrade.  I was on vacation for 3 months in Istanbul when it was announced, and I groaned at the thought of such a change from CE4 (which I was not really using properly according to Hoyle).  I looked at 3 other alternatives when I got back home to Ecuador, and all of them bombed out fairly early. Backlight really is the best I have tested in the last couple weeks (since returning home).  Not 100% to my vision, but I doubt anyone else will ever have my exact vision, so "close enough to work with" is pretty darn good. smile

I have a few ideas that would make my specific task easier, but am still deciding if they are appropriate for suggesting for changes, or are just "my way of doing things."

#6 2016-07-03 07:16:02

rod barbee
Website

You can always suggest wink
Matt and Ben can then see if it's something that makes overall sense for Backlight.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-07-03 12:35:02

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Glad to hear we're building better things than the competition! Thanks!

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2016-07-03 16:43:57

Ben

Good suggestion.  There is a setting to show or hide the 'Home' breadcrumb. A similar setting to show or hide the 'Top-level Gallery' breadcrumb could be added.  Something to add to our to-do list.

#9 2018-04-21 23:30:41

pideja

Reading thru this post because I have (inadvertently) activated the HOME thumbnail. Can't find the setting where I could limit or expand the scope of the thumbnails.

#10 2018-04-22 00:14:33

rod barbee
Website

Home thumbnail?
Did you mean breadcrumbs?
Is so, look in Backlight > Publisher Settings

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2018-04-22 00:28:29

pideja

Yep, and I found the setting in Publisher Settings/Breadcrumbs/Display Home Breadcrumb - "no"

Thanks

Board footer