Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-20 01:57:18

coyotepixel
Website

Changing Copy Font color

I'm new to Backlight and web design in general. I'm slogging through and learning by trial and error.

I have changed the background color on the Standard Page template to a chocolate color. I'm using this in my Home, About and Contact pages.

Somehow I've managed to change the copy font color also. And now I can't seem to find where to change it back to white. Tray #1 font is white, but what I take to be the main column is showing as dark font color.

http://coyotepixel.net/about/

Not sure of my terminology here. A future help page with terminology would be great! Looking forward to basic tutorial.

jim

#2 2016-06-20 02:36:01

coyotepixel
Website

Re: Changing Copy Font color

PS.
I've gone to Design Template>Standard Page>edit>Main Column. I can change the background color but when I  select white for copy color, no change happens after save changes.

#3 2016-06-20 04:01:29

rod barbee
Website

you may need to clear the template cache before seeing the change.
Backlight > Designer > Clear Template Cache then click the Clear button

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2016-06-20 04:03:53

rod barbee
Website

on the page you linked to above, I'm seeing a page with a dark purplish background and copy color of white.
To change the heading color, go to the Typography section of the page template and look under Headings Font Properties

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-06-20 11:45:47

coyotepixel
Website

I found that I had the Page main copy line beginning with  #. Don't know where that came from. I deleted that and used ** on either end of the line as **Tray 01** in Tray 01 Copy does. That did it.

What do the **...** things do? They are there in the initial settings.

Thanks for your reply, Rod.

#6 2016-06-20 13:08:07

rod barbee
Website

Hey Jim, 

The # marks and asterisks are Markdown syntax. It's a quicker way to format text than using html

hash tags like # denote headings. So something like: ##Home will result in this html: <h2>Home</h2>

the asterisks and underscores do the same thing.
**text**  or __text__ will result in bold text, converting to the html <strong> tag: <strong>text</strong>

*text* and _text_ will italicize the text, converting to the html <em> tag: <em>text</em>

see this from the CE4 documentation: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … 4_markdown

so when you changes the ## in the page copy to **, you changed the text from an h2 heading to bold text.

the heading of a page should have an h tag (h2, h3, etc). Control the color of the text in the page template under Typography.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-06-20 14:16:01

coyotepixel
Website

Thanks, Rod. So, if I got this right, when the text in Copy or Tray columns on Pages "About, Search, Contact", etc. starts with #, its font color is determined by Designer>Templates>Page Templates>Design>Typography>Headings Font Properties>Headings (color picker).

I think that when you last clicked on my site, I had already changed the Copy text to start with **
(asterisks) so it was appearing as white against the dark background. I see that when it started with #, it's color was determined by Headings Font Properties where the color was selected as a brownish color.

#8 2016-06-20 15:18:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

coyotepixel wrote:

... it's color was determined by Headings Font Properties where the color was selected as a brownish color.

You've found a bug!

In the next update, the color setting for the trays will also apply to headings in the trays.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#9 2016-06-21 11:41:59

coyotepixel
Website

I also found that I had to pick font color for the "Search Photos" text just above the search bar in Search using the headings font properties.

#10 2016-06-21 12:21:42

rod barbee
Website

that sounds right. The text is an h2 heading

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer