Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-10 03:09:42

reidthaler

Why Backlight? What am I gaining?

As someone mentioned, my site is up and I've already sweated through setting up TTG products for years, so what am I gaining with Backlight?  Would I be spending $150 for Backlight, Pages and CRG just to create what I already have? Is there a feature comparison with CE4 products?  If I already have my site up and running, what am I gaining with Backlight?   I know you are excited by Backlight, but now, I'm thinking it's just another piece of software to struggle with.

In CE4 or Backlight can a photo span the width of a browser like on the New York Times site?

Thanks,

Reid

#2 2016-06-10 03:55:10

rod barbee
Website

Re: Why Backlight? What am I gaining?

If you've got your site up and running and your happy with it, then there's probably no need to change.

Backlight is much, much, much (did I say MUCH?) faster to design in than Lightroom.
It's not a Lightroom plug-in, it's a web app. The only interaction with Lightroom will be publishing albums and album sets.

There are more layout options (see my test site)

I think it's more mobile friendly.

Right now, the CE4 line of plug-ins offer more options, like the ability to download hi-res renditions as well as several design related features like borders on navigation bars, etc.

custom css and phplugins are easier to implement in Backlight.

Can't CE4's Full Screen slideshow span the width of the browser? In CE4 galleries, I don't think images can.
Backlight albums do have a full-screen mode in the Photoswipe presentation. If the images renditions in the album are large enough, they can fill the screen. Here's one of my albums. The images were output at 2000px (Backlight's limit). From the large image view, click on the full-screen icon at the top-right. It looks like to arrows pointing away diagonally.
http://backlight-rb-test.barbeephoto.co … rst-album/

There is no feature comparison to look at.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-06-10 04:06:26

reidthaler

Thanks so much.  Will look into things

#4 2016-06-11 01:17:26

aebolzan
Website

I moved from CE4 to Backlight as soon as it appeared...why?...because I found that I was gaining time, patience and easiness to work and design.....however....Backlight is still in the first stages....I moved to it knowing that several features that were in CE4 were not in Backlight...yet.....but I guess they will be there with time.....for me the use of CE4 was sometimes exasperating not because of CE4 but because of LR!....the web module in LR was poor till the arrive of CE3/CE4 but then it was very rich but at the same time very slow, particularly when updating things there....so for me there is no question....now I use LR only for exporting images from albums, the rest is history....I like this, more time dedicated to images and less time dedicated to struggle with the slowness of LR with CE4 (or whatever)....do I miss anything from CE4? sure!....but I can survive without them for the moment.......there is no way to use Photoswipe in the home page, the implementation of fonts for the different sections of text is still limited, you cannot make a frame in the images in the home page, etc. (please, I am saying that you cannot do these things from Backlight options, I know that some things can be done manually, but in CE4 was possible without knowing anything about css or personal customisations....), but the use of Backlight is far, far easier and faster that CE4 and I built up a bilingual site from scratch in just one day, while with CE4 it requiered almost a week, because going back and forth from one template to another in LR was a headache.

just my thoughts.......

Agustin

#5 2016-06-11 20:25:35

markh
Website

Echoing aebolzan's thoughts on how wonderful it is to have moved past the Lightroom Web module. Backlight is miles (or kilometers) ahead of Lightroom.
M

#6 2016-06-11 22:51:10

tomowensphoto
Website

Going Backlight is a NO_BRAINER. Grasp it and move forward in leaps and bounds.
TomO

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

Board footer