Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-25 01:09:30

gwlco
Website

BL have blog?

Once again I show my inexperience and dumbness.
Will there be a BLOG option?
I have never had one before but have a need for one now.
How do you define a BLOG page?
What does it do differently from other pages?

#2 2016-05-25 03:33:02

rod barbee
Website

Re: BL have blog?

I'm fairly certain that Matt plans on a Backlight WordPress theme, but in the meantime, you can start a blog whenever you want.

Most hosting companies have a tool for installing WordPress on your existing site. For example, my WordPress blog is installed on my site in a folder named "blog".
Once you've installed WordPress you can either use the standard theme that comes with it or look around for other themes. Most TTG users created their own themes using the TTG Theme for WordPress Lightroom plug-in.
But for someone just learning about blogs, you can just use the WordPress 2016 theme that comes with the installation.
As far as learning and using WordPress, there are a ton of resources on the web that can walk you through setting things up and getting started.
WordPress 101 is a great resource and there are also lots of free resources like wpbeginner.com

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-25 15:12:47

Matthew
Administrator
Website

We plan to release a Backlight theme for WordPress sometime later in the year, after Client Response, Cart and Stage add-ons. So it might be a little while before we're able to deliver on it. In the meantime, you can setup WordPress alongside Backlight. As Rod suggests above, you'd setup in this way:

/backlight
/blog
/galleries

And all of the WordPress stuff goes inside of /blog. If using Backlight + Pages, this becomes:

.htaccess
/backlight
/blog
/galleries
index.php

... so much the same, and then Backlight is able to manage your Home page. This is handy if you want a Backlight-managed gallery to act as Home.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2016-06-09 01:40:03

mblanchette1
Website

Since the blog is a ways off, I'm wondering about the co-existence of a CE4 blog with a Backlight framework. More specifically, I'm assuming that the two cannot share phplugins.php and custom.css files? I made a quick test and the CE4 blog seems to benignly ignore the Backlight versions. I guess that means all formatting has to be done inside the template. Thoughts?

Last edited by mblanchette1 (2016-06-09 01:40:53)

#5 2016-06-09 01:59:02

rod barbee
Website

A WordPress blog can live in its one world so isn't dependent on Backlight for anything. You can still use your existing phplugins file with a CE4 Theme for WordPress theme, I'd just suggest treating the blog as completely separate, perhaps placing the phplugins/custom css in the same folder that the WordPress installation is in. Depending on your current setup, you may need to change the path to phplugins in Theme for Wordpress if you do this.
For example, if your blog is in a folder named "blog"

/blog/all the Wordpress files and folder/
/blog/phplugins/

Or if your phplugins/ folder is already in the root of your site, you could just keep it there and not change the paths. It just seems cleaner to keep it separate, but that's up to you.

Backlight can use phplugins and css, but it shouldn't be mixed with CE4 because so much has changed with structure, classes, etc.
All Backight phplugins and custom css should go in the /backlight/custom/ folder
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _phplugins
http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2016-06-09 03:25:27

mblanchette1
Website

Thanks. Yep, separating the two phplugins and css files works fine. Need to rework the menu on the blog page though because the auto-index drop menu no longer works with the Backlight gallery strucutre. But other than that, it should solve my problem

#7 2016-06-09 03:30:59

rod barbee
Website

What I'll probably do is switch the menu over to WordPress control and point the Galleries link to the Galleries page. I might add sub-menu items for the album sets. But I'm in no hurry.
I still need to design to more closely resemble my current site. So far I've been having too much fun just playing with the thing on my test sites.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer