Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-26 23:13:28

aebolzan
Website

Galleries

Yesterday I was preparing my first albums with Backlight....amazing how fast and simple is now to prepare templates and publish images!!...I still have CE4 installed in LR, but I think that I will remove it during the next weeks....however....I found a problem with the presentation of albums in the Galleries page. According to Mathew, one should find something like this:

http://backlight.theturninggate.net/galleries/

however, in my case I end with this:

http://backlight.agustinbolzan.com.ar/galleries/

i.e. tittles in the bottom and no place for long texts.......I wonder why?

...and, the text in the Page remains always the same "Lorem ipsum......", although I changed it......that's also funny.....

Agustin

P.S. Recent discovery: if I change the page template used in the the Galleries Page nothing changes!...seems that there is a problem with this Page that cannot be modified at all!.....Maybe I have to delete it an start from scratch?

Last edited by aebolzan (2016-05-26 23:19:51)

#2 2016-05-26 23:17:32

rod barbee
Website

Re: Galleries

There are four options for presentation in album set pages: Descriptive, like Matt's using on the demo, Masonry, Classic, and Iconic.
Go to the album set template you're using for your Galleries page and click on Thumbnails and scroll down to Layout Style to choose the style you prefer.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-26 23:18:21

rod barbee
Website

Where are you changing the text? For the Galleries page, it needs to be changed in the template you're using.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2016-05-26 23:25:07

aebolzan
Website

rod barbee wrote:

There are four options for presentation in album set pages: Descriptive, like Matt's using on the demo, Masonry, Classic, and Iconic.
Go to the album set template you're using for your Galleries page and click on Thumbnails and scroll down to Layout Style to choose the style you prefer.

Thanks Rod!.....I misunderstood the templates!....I was only working with the Album Template, no the Album Set Template!!!!...I wrongly thought that the latter was for a Album Set!!!.....now that's all clear!!!

Thanks!

Agustin

#5 2016-05-26 23:29:34

aebolzan
Website

rod barbee wrote:

Where are you changing the text? For the Galleries page, it needs to be changed in the template you're using.

I go to "Pages" where I created a "Galleries" Page (that uses a certain Page Template). Then I open "Design" and in the Design Page, I select "Page Copy" en put my text in the box of "Main Copy"......is this correct?

Agustin

#6 2016-05-26 23:40:42

aebolzan
Website

Well....it seems that the text for the Galleries Page should be inserted in the Album Set Copy, not in the Copy of the Galleries Page......but I find this not quite clear in the design or the documentation of Backlight........but now all works fine!
thanks Rod!

Agustin

#7 2016-05-26 23:41:53

rod barbee
Website

Your Galleries page uses an Album Set template for the page.
For the text on your Galleries page, edit the Album Set template being used for the Galleries page.
Go to Publisher > Top-level Galleries and click on Edit next to Galleries to see what template it's using.

Then go to that template under Album Set templates and edit the page copy in the template.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-05-26 23:54:35

aebolzan
Website

Yes Rod, now with your explanation I find all very clear, but from my point of view this is not so clear when you start working with Backlight......maybe am I wrong, but I find that the "text" that one writes in any Page Copy box in the Pages should be what one eventually sees in the corresponding Page, and at least is what it happens with the rest of Pages (Info, About, Contact, etc.). Only with the Page "Galleries"  one finds that the text that appears above the Albums is determined by the text in the Album Set Copy, not the text in the Page Copy. For me this is not quite logical......or is it?

Agustin

#9 2016-05-27 00:07:55

rod barbee
Website

This is because the Galleries page (or any page created from a top-level gallery folder) is automatically created by Backlight using the designated Album Set template. The Galleries page isn't quite the other pages.
In fact, if one buys only Backlight, and not Backlight + Pages, there is no option for creating more pages. So entering text in the album set template is the only way to add text to a top-level Galleries page.

The same thing applies to Albums and other album sets, only with those, you can add text unique to those albums and sets from Publisher in Lightroom.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2016-05-27 00:17:51

aebolzan
Website

What you say sounds quite correct, but the problem is that it is not  something straighforward and it is not clarified in the documentation (although I must recognise that the documentation is still under development).

Agustin

#11 2016-05-27 00:28:50

rod barbee
Website

...but the problem is that it is not  something straighforward

I'd agree with that. When I first started testing Backlight it took a little bit of messing around to figure that one out.
Since this comes up with some regularity, I'll add a sticky at the top of the forum that will hopefully help out.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2016-05-31 23:03:14

Macromac
Website

Hi, Yes I will agree that the documentation need a lot of work and it is not straightforward. Maybe for a TTG developer but certainly not for a new purchaser of Backlight.
I can't find this link that is quoted "Publisher > Top-level Galleries" where do I find this?

Another question. In an Album set the cover image did not show even though I set it at random from the selection. When I tried a cusom one it will display the image. Am I dong something wrong? (very possible as just trying to figure out this software)
So I think that this should be fixed to select an image from one of the albums at random or remove the random selection from the choice.

Regards
Paul

**  I found the "Publisher > Top-level Galleries" now to play around. I enjoy playing around but in this case I wish that It would be easier big_smile

Last edited by Macromac (2016-05-31 23:13:44)

#13 2016-05-31 23:17:46

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Hi Paul,

In the Backlight admin, under the "Backlight" menu, you will find links for Publisher => Top-level Galleries.

For album sets, it's probably best to use custom thumbnails. I've outlined how to do that in this tips thread:
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=6396

Cheers,
Matt

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#14 2016-05-31 23:48:57

Macromac
Website

Thanks Matt for the info big_smile

Paul

#15 2016-06-02 00:42:00

Macromac
Website

Hi Matthew,
I tried the custom thumbnails advice and there is a wee bug.
I followed your instructions.
The folder is being displayed and how do you select an image from the custom thumbnails folder?

Check out http://pwillis.photos/galleries/motorcycle/

Regards
Paul

Last edited by Macromac (2016-06-02 00:45:45)

#16 2016-06-02 00:49:24

rod barbee
Website

the folder will be displayed on the Galleries page when you're logged in to Backlight.

To select an image from the custom thumbnails folder, edit an album in Publisher (in Lightroom) and click on Cover Image. I believe the custom thumbs should be at the top of the list
(step 3 of Matt's tutorial)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2016-06-02 02:12:37

Macromac
Website

Hi Rod,
Yes you were correct about the custom folder being displayed.
The other problem which Matt suggested a workaround to was to get a cover image for an Album Set. No problem selecting an image for a normal album and I like the random feature there.
Matt suggested creating a special folder called _Custom Thumbnails to store the images for album sets. his link is here!-

http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=6396

However when I follow the instructions i'm unable to selet the Custom Thumbnails folder to choose an image from.

Thanks for your help smile
Paul

#18 2016-06-02 03:07:31

rod barbee
Website

Matt suggested creating a special folder called _Custom Thumbnails to store the images for album sets. his link is here!-

Read the tutorial again. He doesn't suggest creating a folder named _Custom Thumbnail. He suggests naming the album you create to hold the custom thumbnails "_Custom Thumbnails".
The key to this is naming the slug "custom-thumbnails"

If you've done everything correctly, when you go to assign the cover image in the album or album set create/edit dialog (in Lightroom), you should see a list of those images in the custom-thumbnails/ folder. Like this:
custom-thumb-list.jpg

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2016-06-02 06:39:10

Macromac
Website

Hi Rod,
Thanks again for explaining things.

I had put the Album called _Custom Thumbnails in side the Album Set when it should have been a separate Album.

Thanks again for your help.
Paul

Last edited by Macromac (2016-06-02 06:42:45)

Board footer