Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-30 07:08:43

jherman
Website

I unfortunately managed to crash Backlight.

I managed to crash my CE4 site and have been frantically updating to Backlight. Clearly Turkey needs lots of help.

I really like the drop-down menu functionality. Please forgive my color choices, half of my 16 Crayon box is missing and my wife, has not yet approved of color choice. Clean install. No previous CE4 page migration.

I spent the last 12 hours creating and updating galleries. Previously, Matt noted that large galleries did not do well with masonry layout and I have converted to classic In anticipation of similar issues. Over the past few hours I noticed the site becoming slower and slower. Now I have a complete stop and the following error:

Unexpected error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in PdoExtended.php on line 533

http://jamesherman.net/

Thoughts?

Last edited by jherman (2016-05-30 07:11:22)

User with too little time but coding is therapeutic.

#2 2016-05-30 08:18:29

rod barbee
Website

Re: I unfortunately managed to crash Backlight.

Have you tried clearing template cache?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-30 09:49:48

Ben

That looks like your host is having major performance issues. Who are you hosting with?

It may help Ito verify that the database is working correctly. Can you download the backlight/data directory, zip the files and email them to me using the Email link under my picture?

#4 2016-05-30 09:54:59

jherman
Website

Tried that and now everything is dead my main page now loads the following::

Something went wrong

Unexpected error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in PdoExtended.php on line 533

Please report error at http://community.theturninggate.net

Publisher initially complained but seems to be updating galleries without problem and webdisk indicates everything is in the correct place. Backlight has no difficulty with accessing the site. Indeed, as we speak, Publisher is happy updating galleries but none will display on the browser.

#5 2016-05-30 10:06:23

jherman
Website

Bluehost on the hosting service. I have sent the data directory .zip

Last edited by jherman (2016-05-30 10:09:32)

#6 2016-05-30 19:11:04

jherman
Website

Slept on the problem. At 0530 EDT I had an epiphany. The problem is the drop-down menus. I went back to the basic drop-down to my 5 top level galleries and speed and time-out issues resolved.

Thus behavior I experienced above now makes sense. Over the course of a day I added about a hundred galleries and as the site tried to build ever more complex drop-down menus, it slowed to a crawl.

The question then becomes, how are menus built? Is this a one time event and the site speeds up after it gets a mature set of menu trees built or does it build them on the fly for each page request? If the latter, the lesson is KISS.

Keep It Simple Stupid
JIm.

#7 2016-05-30 21:33:02

Ben

Hi Jim, that's really helpful to know, thanks.  The current release does have inefficiencies in the menu handling.  The caching isn't working as we had intended, and the menu is being reloaded from the database on each page load.  Our upcoming 1.0.2 release (due in the next week or two) addresses this.

I am surprised though at the impact this has had on your site.  In my own testing the menu handling adds something like 5/100 of a second to page load time.

Board footer