Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-28 07:51:21

RonsonWhitaker

Custom Thumbnail Problem

Setup As per instructions. But I've done something wrong.

The top Galleries shows the two Custom Thumbnail images in the custom thumbnail album but when selecting an image only the unknown white image with title appears.  When selecting a non custom image the image appears.

None of the other album sets shows any custom images to be selected.

The Custom Image Album does appear when logged in to Backlight and disappear when logged out.

#2 2016-05-28 08:13:24

rod barbee
Website

Re: Custom Thumbnail Problem

link?

Where are you selecting the images? in Publisher > Cover Image?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-28 08:57:11

RonsonWhitaker

Yes - Edit Album Set - Cover Image

http://ronwhitaker.ca/galleries/galleries/ then select first galleries link
http://ronwhitaker.ca/galleries/

I also note the header image is gone in
http://ronwhitaker.ca/galleries/galleries/styles/

I don't understand how I got two levels of /galeries.  Nothing shows in the publisher plugin.  I never created it.

#4 2016-05-28 09:43:17

rod barbee
Website

I also note the header image is gone in
http://ronwhitaker.ca/galleries/galleries/styles/

Did you just copy over your Backlight site from a test site? If so, you may need to re-upload images you previously uploaded using the Backlight Uploader

Did you happen to create a Galleries page in the Pages module? If so, you shouldn't need to do this. Simply by publishing an album to your top-level galleries folder, Backlight will create the Galleries page.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-05-28 09:48:23

RonsonWhitaker

This was an original install and creation of everything.  The install package has a galleries directory.  My first album set is called Galleries.

What about the cover images not working?

#6 2016-05-28 09:55:42

rod barbee
Website

My first album set is called Galleries.

Is this the name of the template? Or is it the name of a page you created?

What about the cover images not working?

I'm guessing it has something to do with having two galleries pages. Can't really tell without seeing what's going on in the back end.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-05-28 10:31:46

RonsonWhitaker

After install where the empty galleries was copied from install to website.  Then rest of install which included the creation of the first Album Set by the publisher called Galleries.

Incidentally you have my website and password from our last interaction if you kept your email.  If not I can resent the info to you.

#8 2016-05-28 11:11:38

rod barbee
Website

I took a look. Not only do you have the galleries/galleries issue, you've got broken web fonts all over the place. My guess is that this is a .htaccess file issue. Did you copy the .htaccess file from the Backlight download to the root of your site?

Otherwise, this is going to be something for Ben to look into.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-05-28 15:52:28

RonsonWhitaker

Yes the .htaccess was copied into public_html

One thing to note.  A complete reinstall of backlight was done by first deleting all files and recopying everything.

The lightroom plugin was not reinstalled but every set and album was deleted and all but one TTG Publisher deleted.  The remaining TTG Publisher's contents where deleted.

If Ben needs to look at this can you forward this to him? or do I need to recreate?

#10 2016-05-28 21:43:10

rod barbee
Website

You can send him an email with a link to this topic and login credentials, or wait for him to respond on the forum.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2016-05-29 10:48:58

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I've replied via email, but my TL;DR take is that you have bad hosting.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#12 2016-05-29 22:17:01

Ben

I'm not completely sure this can be put down to bad hosting.

Firstly, the Site URL setting doesn't match the URL you're trying to view the site at.  That would explain the breakages. 
Secondly, the galleries/galleries looks to me as though you created an Album Set with slug of 'galleries'.  Is that the case?
There's no need to create a 'galleries' Album Set, as the Publisher instance itself operates on the 'galleries'  location.

#13 2016-05-29 22:25:16

RonsonWhitaker

Thank you Ben.  This is the one thing still bothering me.  I think that there is some bad hosting as I get other problems as well.  My host gave me ronwhitaker.netfirms.ca  and my registered url is ronwhitaker.ca.  Then we use redirection.  This may cause some confusion.

But you are correct.  I did create a Galleries Album Set.  The reason was that by selecting this Album Set in Publisher and then hitting the Publish button all albums/album sets within the Publisher are reviewed and updated.  On hit update is good because I am all over the place in my fun/work.

The problem is the Image Thumbnails does not update the cover image with a custom thumbnail but does with a regular image selected.

I am going to change hosts and rebuild this is the only thing I am not sure of at the moment.  I could create an upper Album Set with a different name or no upper Album Set and then be required to Publish each individually.

Not sure we may be facing this issue again.

Please advise

Thanks

#14 2016-05-29 23:37:54

rod barbee
Website

I could create an upper Album Set with a different name or no upper Album Set and then be required to Publish each individually.

No matter what, you need to have at least one top-level galleries directory. By default, the name of that folder is "galleries". But you don't have to use that name. You can change the name of the folder on the server if you wish. Or don't upload it to begin with and instead create a differently named folder.
Then, in Publisher, set the top-level gallery folder name to the same as the folder you have on the server.
When you publish to this folder, the album set will be automatically created inside that folder by Backlight.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2016-05-31 01:04:08

RonsonWhitaker

Custom Thumbnail problem is due to the incorrect location of the custom thumbnail album.  This album must be at the top level under galleries and not at a lower level.

Board footer